Keim's Response

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is a stunning lack of self reflection of himself and his coach. It's just fuel to fan frustration.

https://arizonasports.com/story/204...rdinals-gm-steve-keim-puts-players-on-notice/

Preseason or not, Arizona Cardinals general manager Steve Keim isn’t happy with his team.

At the least, he’s feigning concern and using a 33-26 loss Thursday to the Oakland Raiders as an opportunity to pull urgency out of Arizona’s players.

The Cardinals were outgained in yardage 231-12 by the time the first-string offense led by rookie quarterback Kyler Murray left the field in the second game of the preseason. Arizona fell behind 26-0 after Murray took a sack for a safety midway through the second quarter.

And Murray, who went 3-of-8 for 12 yards, wasn’t the focus of Keim’s concern.

“I think the biggest concern would be when the takeaway … the best thing I saw all night was my daughter Sloane, who did a fantastic job with the junior cheer (team) at halftime,” Keim said Friday while joining Doug & Wolf on 98.7 FM Arizona’s Sports Station. “She looked good out there.

“The mindset I have, and I think our players need to adopt this even a little more, is we’re not the Arizona Cardinals right now. We’re 90 men who are trying to win a job.”

The general manager read a short-list of players he considers Cardinals. Larry Fitzgerald, Christian Kirk, Chandler Jones and Murray will be on the 53-man roster come the regular season.

Until then, Arizona’s players had best be flying around like their job is on the line.

“There are a number of players that maybe in my mind have gotten too comfortable or think they’re going to make this team, maybe aren’t playing with the level of urgency that I would like to see,” Keim said, reminding that the Cardinals are first in the waiver-wire priority order.

“If we have to claim 15 guys and replace those players, we’ll do what we got to do.”

Keim added that Arizona’s attention to detail is lacking. It showed Thursday as Arizona was flagged 14 times for 108 yards.

But the general manager also saw bad habits in the form of players standing too tall, ending up in the wrong gaps or lacking urgency.

The game might have been a carry-over from Arizona’s last practice, an intense outdoor session Tuesday that saw Murray struggle, according to the GM.

“I thought it was our worst practice of the preseason. I thought we looked sloppy. I thought it was Kyler’s worst day,” Keim said. “Really I think the way we practiced Tuesday was the way we played last night.”

EXTRA POINTS
— Keim addressed the release of defensive end Darius Philon, an offseason signing who was cut after he was arrested on assault charges last weekend.

“The one thing about Darius — and I’ll leave it at that — is that prior to coming here, there was no history of off-the-field issues,” the GM said.

— Confirming a report that Arizona was interested in free agent defensive tackle Corey Liuget, Keim clarified that the former Charger will visit with the team on Saturday.

OP
OP
Chris_Sanders

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am sure Suggs, Budda Baker, and Peterson love hearing this

The general manager read a short-list of players he considers Cardinals. Larry Fitzgerald, Christian Kirk, Chandler Jones and Murray will be on the 53-man roster come the regular season.

OP
OP
Chris_Sanders

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All he had to say is "I brought these players in. I brought the coach in. This season good or bad, is as much on me as it is on anyone. I am confident in my selections though and I am sure we can turn this around before the regular season"

How hard is that?

OP
OP
Chris_Sanders

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am sure Suggs, Budda Baker, and Peterson love hearing this

What about your other draft picks? Those aren't Cardinals?

The GM can't be knee jerk reacting and spouting his mouth off to the media.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Not suggesting he couldn't have taken some blame, but it's not like he is wrong in suggesting that a lot of the players didn't come to play. It definitely seemed like there was a lot of just kind of going through the motions out there by quite a few guys.

OP
OP
Chris_Sanders

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not suggesting he couldn't have taken some blame, but it's not like he is wrong in suggesting that a lot of the players didn't come to play. It definitely seemed like there was a lot of just kind of going through the motions out there by quite a few guys.

Look there is a reason that so many former Cardinals HATE the team right now. You can't talk up your kid, blame the players except for your favorites, and then deflect any responsibility from yourself.

No one wants to work for a guy like that.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
Hmmm... It appears he was going for "fiery"... or maybe "sense of urgency".

I don't mind it, as long as he's holding himself to the same standard, and that he interacts with the players enough so that they can see that this is true.

His seat is pretty warm these days. If we put up another 3-13, which is entirely possible, he'll probably lose his job. It's easy to see why he might be a little on edge, but agree with everyone who said that he's responsible for this mess.

If he's really turned the corner, and is again trying to be a great GM, that's wonderful, but he's got to find an approach that will result in enough wins this year to buy him another season to straighten things out, and that might be close to impossible.

Last edited:

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Look there is a reason that so many former Cardinals HATE the team right now. You can't talk up your kid, blame the players except for your favorites, and then deflect any responsibility from yourself.

No one wants to work for a guy like that.

I don't have any problem with what he said. I didn't see much from anyone last night that had me excited. It was pretty much a lack luster effort on both sides of the ball. Especially on the defense.

Jobs are on the line, including Keim's. This is a 3-13 team. Not many players should be feeling comfortable right now. If you are here just to collect a paycheck I'd rather not have you on the team.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I don't have any problem with what he said. I didn't see much from anyone last night that had me excited. It was pretty much a lack luster effort on both sides of the ball. Especially on the defense.

Jobs are on the line, including Keim's. This is a 3-13 team. Not many players should be feeling comfortable right now. If you are here just to collect a paycheck I'd rather not have you on the team.
I thought 3-13 was Josh Rosen’s fault.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
I’m not inspired by anyone’s postgame response. Kliff and Murray blew it off and Keim is being Suge White and running dudes over again.

Amateur hour for the team and its leaders

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Honestly, the GM saying if you do not play with urgency I will get rid of you is the exact approach he should take. People are out there halfassing and even on the cardinals radio shows they are now making claims that players will play harder when the season starts. That is not how you prepare for an NFL season and if you dont want to play hard, someone else probably does.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
All this show of anger seems poorly placed to me. It’s a little late to decide these aren’t the right guys. Keim has somehow managed to put the shallowest team on the field that I think I have ever seen.

Keim had a good idea several years ago with his “prove it” contracts. Like everything else in the NFL teams immediately copied it. That was his last quality idea. Now that he can no longer just grab veteran plugs for holes he now has weaknesses everywhere. He’s drafts poorly especially in early rounds. He signed mediocre QBs to absurd contracts. He’s not been successful at signing front line free agents. Somehow I don’t see any of the current players as afraid he can replace them.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
I've long been a Keim supporter... even through his DUI believing that we all make mistakes. But, watching this team thus far, coupled with his sophomoric comments this morning, I am not so sure anymore... I have serious doubts about him as a GM, and even as a person/leader. What he said this morning, while accurate, should not have been said in a radio interview. If he truly feels this way - and I hope he truly does - it would've been more appropriate for him to first speak these words while looking in a mirror, as HE is the one who chose these players (and coaches). After he were done self-reflecting, he then could've gathered the coaches - and maybe even the team - and shared these feelings... But on the radio? Delivering this type of message indirectly through the media?? Seriously Keim??? :rolleyes:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson