Quick Reactions - Preseason Game 2

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
After a couple of series of a insightful preseason game all the Murray haters emerged from their lairs to attack
Impressed by those "fans"

To whom are you talking? I've been here THE WHOLE TIME. Look around and see who slunk back to their "lairs" after taking huge victory laps last week after one series that failed to cross midfield.

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Why would you waste trick plays on the preseason? You want to save those for games that actually matter. When you are stuck 3rd and long you are absolutely better off running than giving away your trick plays or risking injury to your QB on a sack.
But do something. Throw something out there. It's pre-season, right? Nothing to lose, right? And if you're worried about your QB getting hurt then take him off the field, wrap him in bubble wrap, and put him in a glass case with a sign that says "Break Glass Only For Regular Season". I'm tired of these nonsense excuses.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
man, I hate comparisons like that. that Seattle team was coming off a Super Bowl appearance. We're coming off being the worst team in the league.
Isn't that kind of the point right there? They were coming off a super bowl appearance and yet looked bad in preseason. Could that maybe point to the idea that we shouldn't take preseason too seriously?

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
To whom are you talking? I've been here THE WHOLE TIME. Look around and see who slunk back to their "lairs" after taking huge victory laps last week after one series that failed to cross midfield.

I don't talk about you, u didn't emerge by nowhere
U just play flame game constantly :D

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
But do something. Throw something out there. It's pre-season, right? Nothing to lose, right? And if you're worried about your QB getting hurt then take him off the field, wrap him in bubble wrap, and put him in a glass case with a sign that says "Break Glass Only For Regular Season". I'm tired of these nonsense excuses.
Dropping back on 3rd and long against a defense that is sending 1-2 blitzers on every play probably isn't the greatest idea in preseason. In real games you need to try and get those 1st downs (unless of course we are talking about something like 3rd and 20+ at a point in a game where we don't absolutely need a 1st down).

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think we're underrating the supposed take by the Raider DC that caused him to hypothesize that Joseph's man coverage as part of the 3-4 might put the Cards at a man-to-man matchup disadvantage (theory which proved correct).

Big question for me - Was the Cards, sucky play mainly due to physical limitations? Or was it due to technique and related problems that can be remedied thru coaching.

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Likely things Cardinals need to do for week 1:

1. Don't hide playbook or players. Play all starters until the half on both sides of the football in week 3 on full throttle.

2. Sign Josh Bynes, Brent Grimes and Nick Perry (unless there is a suspension of some sort pending)

3. Trade for Trent Williams

4. Take time on offense. Eat the clock so defense sees as little time on the field as possible (it is quite a fall for this defense which was great for most of this decade)

5. Start cutting players today to send a message

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
man, I hate comparisons like that. that Seattle team was coming off a Super Bowl appearance. We're coming off being the worst team in the league.

Thoughts, hopes and prayer outreach for my team

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Isn't that kind of the point right there? They were coming off a super bowl appearance and yet looked bad in preseason. Could that maybe point to the idea that we shouldn't take preseason too seriously?

Well, they had a track record of success. How much changed on that offense that people should've been worried about? I don't care about teams that are probably good in the preseason; there's almost nothing you can do to evaluate teams in the preseason. In that example, Marshawn Lynch was so essential to their success as an offense that it seems ridiculous to think they could succeed if he wasn't really playing.

I don't see anyone taking the preseason seriously except for the people who are literally putting Kyler on a Hall of Fame trajectory after one drive.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Oakland Passing stats 21/24....

D-line or DB's
It really looked like we could not cover anyone - but wasn't sure if that was because of lack of pressure or DB's that can't cover.
i feel it was a bit of the later. Seems we have some outside pressure but nothing up the middle for sure.
Maybe this is lack of blitz scheme but i have doubts on ability to cover.
I think we played mostly man and, with Alford and PP21 out or limited, we were vulnerable to mismatches and the Raider OC made us pay.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Okay, but media are there for every practice; if there was something truly revolutionary that's going on, it would have gotten out.

Football is still football. You practice what you play. Otherwise they're just playing grab-ass out there.

I think there are RPOs and deeper route combinations that aren't getting shown out there, but all of those are built on the idea that you can complete short passes horizontally across the field and start to pull up the secondary. We haven't shown that we can do that.
There have been deep balls to Sherfield twice and Isabella in the last two games. Just because kyler hasn’t thrown one doesn’t mean it’s not a part of the offense. Pretty sure they don’t have one playbook for kyler and another for the other three QBs. Now whether they can go to those against #1 defenses is another story. But they’re certainly part of the playbook.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
There have been deep balls to Sherfield twice and Isabella in the last two games. Just because kyler hasn’t thrown one doesn’t mean it’s not a part of the offense. Pretty sure they don’t have one playbook for kyler and another for the other three QBs. Now whether they can go to those against #1 defenses is another story. But they’re certainly part of the playbook.

Yes. This is fair. I haven't had the time or interest to look at those plays to see what was actually happening with them (stupid NFL Game Pass doesn't give the All-22 for preseason). I haven't looked to see if there are spread concepts at play or whatever.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

The thing that bothered me on the safety was Murray seem to have no awareness to where he was in relation to the goal line. If he had simply fallen forward instead of turning backwards he would have kept the ball out of the end zone.

One funny thing from last night was the interview with Lamarcus Joyner of the Raiders. They asked him about running a college offense in the NFL and his comment was he would like to run everyone of them out of the NFL as it has no place in the NFL.

Yeah I had that issue with the safety. Dive forward. No safety. Needs better awareness.

And the weird thing about the Joyner comment to me was it almost sounded like he took personal affront at the air raid being used in the nfl.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
After a couple of series of a insightful preseason game all the Murray haters emerged from their lairs to attack
Lol. Objective observations of poor performance is hardly an “attack.”

But your attack on their fandom by placing it in quotes is noted and not appreciated.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
The irony of this post is that I've been one of the most outspoken naysayers for the past couple of months and I haven't even had the chance to post.

Not sure your narrative makes sense here. Last night was tough to watch, and that's all I've got.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The irony of this post is that I've been one of the most outspoken naysayers for the past couple of months and I haven't even had the chance to post.

Not sure your narrative makes sense here. Last night was tough to watch, and that's all I've got.

but u dont need to post, we just know your thought

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson