Quick Reactions - Preseason Game 2

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Preseason may be vanilla with little in the way of scheming, but this team is getting their ass kicked in the one on one battles.

LarryStalling

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
The only thing that gives me a little bit of hope is that if the Cardinals play an up tempo no huddle offense with a lot of quick hits, the pass rush will be slowed down substantially. What we saw last night was extremely slooooow football and the defense was just teeing off on the clap. Our OL can't stand up to that and hopefully we don't see it a lot during the season.

I'm much more worried about the defense than the offense. They will be fine.

Reminds me of the head bob from a few years ago.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
here's my quick reaction... are members of the Kyler-Murray-Should-Already-Be-Inducted-Into-The-HOF-Fan-Club only going to show up to the board when he looks good? Because they have been completely AWOL since last night's ugly performance.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I thought we did show that in the first game. 6/7 short and horizontal completions before that drive was killed by a dumb penalty on K Johnson and a snap count issue with the clap. Last nights drives were crushed by penalties and snap issues all around.

Murray was not sharp by any means but the penalties and snap count/clap issues are killing any chance at getting into a rhythm and having successful drives.

Well, I mean, four drives that failed to cross midfield aren't a ton of evidence that you can successfully execute the foundation of the Spread.

I'm not concerned about Kingsbury and Kyler dumping bubble screens and middle draws on 3rd-and-16 in the preseason. I'm slightly worried about David Johnson's clear disinterest in preseason play. I'm extremely worried about an offensive line that can't seem to block anyone.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
here's my quick reaction... are members of the Kyler-Murray-Should-Already-Be-Inducted-Into-The-HOF-Fan-Club only going to show up to the board when he looks good? Because they have been completely AWOL since last night's ugly performance.

You're not really allowed to ask this; it could incite a flame war from all the people who just piled on anyone who expressed skepticism or reservation about Murray beginning before the draft.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You're not really allowed to ask this; it could incite a flame war from all the people who just piled on anyone who expressed skepticism or reservation about Murray beginning before the draft.

the ridiculous thing is they'll all probably tee off on me, saying I'm a Murray hater or whatever, which isn't the case. I've just been amazed at the absolute certainty that crew seemingly has for Murray and the way they mock and attack anyone who dares disagrees or even take a "wait and see" attitude.

iLLmatiC

Drive-by Poster
Reaction score
He looked scared, let's hope he can shake this off. It was his first baptism into the NFL.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
He looked scared, let's hope he can shake this off. It was his first baptism into the NFL.
I wouldn't say scared, but rushed. He stood in there against the blitz on a couple of occasions and just didn't quite connect on the throw.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I will chime in.

1-I do think there are more deceptive elements to Kingsbury's actual offense that we are not seeing and he is hiding.

2-I don't know if the NFL regular season is the place to be doing new things with a rookie QB.

3-This game looked like the Alabama game where Murray got boat-raced out of the building. Terrible start, and garbage time stats that make the game look closer than it really was. While I am sure Murray was just lulling the Raiders to sleep, I don't know if it is a good strategy for the NFL.

4-I liked where Murray stated that players in the NFL are "bigger, stronger, faster" in his in-game interview. At least he isn't kidding himself about what he has to overcome.

5-I didn't hate our first-team offensive lines performance w/o Pugh. It wasn't great, but was not terrible when I re-watched it.

6-I like the talent we show at WR. It is not a finished product by any means and will still need to develop, but Sherfield, Kirk, Johnson and Isabella all look pretty quick and polished for where they are at in their careers.

7-Our defensive line is pretty bad. I actually think we would be better served signing a NT and moving Peters to DE.

8-Our secondary is ok. It isn't shocking when the back 7 of a brand new defense blows coverages. Secondaries are like offensive lines. The more they play together, the sum becomes greater than the individual parts.

9-Our ILBs outside of Jordan Hicks are really bad until they show they are something different.

The three worst units from the game DL, LB, and Kyler Murray.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score

The part of the article where Murray said the defense job to watch the ball and it didn't make sense to him that they weren't was weird to say the least. Why would you even assume that? Someone needs to tell him he's not in college anymore.

Some thoughts that crossed my mind watching the game last night was if I'm a DC and I see the Cardinals bring Edmonds in on third and long I am definitely bringing some type of blitz as he can't even seem to recognize it and if Seal Jones is in there too I'm blitzing because he just can't block and there is a good chance I may get a holding call from him.

If the Air Raid offense is predicated on running a lot of plays then there is trouble ahead when the other team is possessing the ball 35-40 minutes a game. So far the first team defense has been gashed in the running game by the other teams and the Cardinals can't run the ball. If part of the Air Raid offense is taking deep shots then there's more trouble on the horizon as Murray was getting pressured so fast he will never have time to go deep.

The thing that bothered me on the safety was Murray seem to have no awareness to where he was in relation to the goal line. If he had simply fallen forward instead of turning backwards he would have kept the ball out of the end zone.

It's my understanding that Joseph likes to run a lot of man coverage and it seemed the defense is not up to that task.

One funny thing from last night was the interview with Lamarcus Joyner of the Raiders. They asked him about running a college offense in the NFL and his comment was he would like to run everyone of them out of the NFL as it has no place in the NFL.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
After a couple of series of a insightful preseason game all the Murray haters emerged from their lairs to attack
Impressed by those "fans"

Rottweiler

Reaction score
Oakland Passing stats 21/24....

D-line or DB's
It really looked like we could not cover anyone - but wasn't sure if that was because of lack of pressure or DB's that can't cover.
i feel it was a bit of the later. Seems we have some outside pressure but nothing up the middle for sure.
Maybe this is lack of blitz scheme but i have doubts on ability to cover.

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Two deep balls I remember last night, one to kirk and one to fitz. Unless you mean 25+ yards as a deep ball
I guess that counts. Glennon's 2nd TD and Hundley to Isabella were deep balls. Like I said, where I come from Air Raid usually means bombs and the only bomb last night was Murray's performance.

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
After a couple of series of a insightful preseason game all the Murray haters emerged from their lairs to attack
Impressed by those "fans"
Oh, I get it. Only koolaid drinking Stepford's are considered real fans.:rolleyes: This is my 45th season as a Cardinal fan. And that's been 44 seasons of mostly disappointment. I've earned the right to criticize this team. So has everyone else quite frankly. But explain to the class why we should be happy about last night.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Oh, I get it. Only koolaid drinking Stepford's are considered real fans.:rolleyes: This is my 45th season as a Cardinal fan. And that's been 44 seasons of mostly disappointment. I've earned the right to criticize this team. So has everyone else quite frankly. But explain to the class why we should be happy about last night.
U can critizice a rookie when games matters and especially after a streak of mediocre games, as Rosen did last season

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I can’t help but think points #1 and #2 are bc it’s preseason and they are continuing to keep the offense a secret
Why? Keeping it a secret from whom? The other rookie QB's have been doing well in pre-season and no one can sit there and tell me that they all play behind offensive lines that would rival the 1975 Cardinals.

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
U can critizice a rookie when games matters and especially after a streak of mediocre games, as Rosen did last season
So we should praise a 3 for 8 for 12 yard performance. I could do better than that and I never played QB. Name me another rookie QB who has yet to cross midfield?

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So we should praise a 3 for 8 for 12 yard performance. I could do better than that and I never played QB. Name me another rookie QB who has yet to cross midfield?

He has to adjust to NFL speed plus he has a bad cast around him and won't help, but just wait and see how he progress when season starts
Too early too judge

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
A) you probably couldn't do better than that and B) I don't recall anyone saying we should praise that performance, but acting like the sky is falling after a bad preseason performance seems like an overreaction to me.