Quick Reactions - Preseason Game 2

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Penalties were crazy. Vanilla defense by the Raiders I think not. They were blitzing double gap and from the outside.

We huddled EVERY play. Not once did we go up tempo. I think we really do have a plan on offense. Defense? Yikes.

Yeah it's hard to see what the Cardinals new offense will look like without seeing the up tempo (Murray-Up Offense™) that is an integral part of the Air Raid offense. We won't know for sure until week one against the Lions.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
And yet year after year it never gets addressed, it's baffling that the OL never ever gets better

Keim keeps signing free agents that have a history of injuries. Additionally, he has never drafted well on offensive linemen.

Reactions: PJ1

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
And yet year after year it never gets addressed, it's baffling that the OL never ever gets better
That’s not accurate. It does get addressed. Just poorly. Spent first round picks on Humphries and Cooper. Mediocre injured guy and bust. Spent mid round picks on guys like boehm and cole. Spent lye round picks on guys like Cunningham. Spent free agent dollars on Pugh, sweezy, and Gilbert. The problem is Keim and his staff just don’t seem to have an eye for talent or are okay with constantly injured dudes.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Yeah it's hard to see what the Cardinals new offense will look like without seeing the up tempo (Murray-Up Offense™) that is an integral part of the Air Raid offense. We won't know for sure until week one against the Lions.

I think the vertical element is the real thing that's missing. Running the hurry up in the current configuration just ensures that the defense comes back on the field sooner.

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Hundley is not an answer for any question.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the vertical element is the real thing that's missing. Running the hurry up in the current configuration just ensures that the defense comes back on the field sooner.

I really don't think we have seen anything as to what this offense will look like in the regular season. Not sure if the outcome changes but it's hard to get a good feel for this offense as of yet with so much kept under wraps.

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I really don't think we have seen anything as to what this offense will look like in the regular season. Not sure if the outcome changes but it's hard to get a good feel for this offense as of yet with so much kept under wraps.
There is no evidence Cardinals offense is hiding anything major. It is just a prayer right now.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is no evidence Cardinals offense is hiding anything major. It is just a prayer right now.

The fact that we haven't seen the Air Raid style offense yet or the fact that the offensive players and head coach have come out and said this isn't the offense you will see in week one isn't evidence?

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
The fact that we haven't seen the Air Raid style offense yet or the fact that the offensive players and head coach have come out and said this isn't the offense you will see in week one isn't evidence?
People will grab at anything to maintain their doom and gloom perspective. Of course the are things to be concerned about (Alford's injury for starters), but the truth is we won't fully know what this team will be until we have seen it play some real games.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
TJ, if the OL is going to have a hard time opening up running lanes, how is Chase Edmonds going to be sneaky good?

Hoodhero

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
The most ironic thing of boxscore yesterday is Cards still ended up with more 1 more yard than Raiders.

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

They said what they said.

NFL has limited practice windows. 50% of it is likely open to public during training camps. So how much of it can they hide?

GoldGloveschmidt

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
The only thing that gives me a little bit of hope is that if the Cardinals play an up tempo no huddle offense with a lot of quick hits, the pass rush will be slowed down substantially. What we saw last night was extremely slooooow football and the defense was just teeing off on the clap. Our OL can't stand up to that and hopefully we don't see it a lot during the season.

I'm much more worried about the defense than the offense. They will be fine.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
They said what they said.

NFL has limited practice windows. 50% of it is likely open to public during training camps. So how much of it can they hide?
How long has it been since we have seen any real video of their practices? We haven't seen much of anything since the 3rd day of training camp or so and even those videos have been taken down. I suspect there could be quite a bit that they haven't shown in games. They have clearly been cracking down on fans recording video at those practices

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
How long has it been since we have seen any real video of their practices? We haven't seen much of anything since the 3rd day of training camp or so and even those videos have been taken down. I suspect there could be quite a bit that they haven't shown in games. They have clearly been cracking down on fans recording video at those practices

Are we talking about Hong Kong or Cardinals practices?

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score

Okay, but media are there for every practice; if there was something truly revolutionary that's going on, it would have gotten out.

Football is still football. You practice what you play. Otherwise they're just playing grab-ass out there.

I think there are RPOs and deeper route combinations that aren't getting shown out there, but all of those are built on the idea that you can complete short passes horizontally across the field and start to pull up the secondary. We haven't shown that we can do that.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Few things. #1, I'm not impressed with this "Air Raid" offense so far. Nothing air raid about 5 yard dump passes. They did nothing to open things up. He threw 1 deep ball in 2 appearances.

#2, something that really bothered me. After the bogus OPI, we were in a 3rd and long and Kingsbury channeled his inner Wilks and simply ran up the middle waving a white flag. It's pre-season. If you're not going to try some tricky stuff now, you're not going to later.

And #3, as bad as the 1st quarter was, we had 2 big plays called back. Don't know what impact that might have had but penalties had us back on our heels the entire time. But it doesn't excuse that Murray stunk up the joint last night.

If this is what's to come, we're in big trouble.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Two deep balls I remember last night, one to kirk and one to fitz. Unless you mean 25+ yards as a deep ball

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
we need to run the opposite of a hurry up to keep this D off of the field.

Hoodhero

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Are we talking about Hong Kong or Cardinals practices?

Cardinals been cracking down on video all this preseason. Do a Google search & see how much videos you can find from last 2 weeks of practice? Posters got threatened with legal bs or to be banned from stadium.

GoldGloveschmidt

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Okay, but media are there for every practice; if there was something truly revolutionary that's going on, it would have gotten out.

Football is still football. You practice what you play. Otherwise they're just playing grab-ass out there.

I think there are RPOs and deeper route combinations that aren't getting shown out there, but all of those are built on the idea that you can complete short passes horizontally across the field and start to pull up the secondary. We haven't shown that we can do that.

I thought we did show that in the first game. 6/7 short and horizontal completions before that drive was killed by a dumb penalty on K Johnson and a snap count issue with the clap. Last nights drives were crushed by penalties and snap issues all around.

Murray was not sharp by any means but the penalties and snap count/clap issues are killing any chance at getting into a rhythm and having successful drives.