Preseason Week 2: Oakland Raiders @ Arizona Cardinals GameDay Thread. 08/15/19

FB94

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Besides the penalties the one thing that stood out to me for this game was the seemingly lack of intensity from our first string O and D. Yes everything is vanilla and yes the Raiders were not vanilla especially on defense with the blitzes. The Raiders took this game almost as a regular season game with the way they came out. With this being a national game, Gruden was trying to send a message to Kliff that your gimmicks won’t work.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Besides the penalties the one thing that stood out to me for this game was the seemingly lack of intensity from our first string O and D. Yes everything is vanilla and yes the Raiders were not vanilla especially on defense with the blitzes. The Raiders took this game almost as a regular season game with the way they came out. With this being a national game, Gruden was trying to send a message to Kliff that your gimmicks won’t work.

I do not think Gruden had any thought about upholding old school football, he just wanted to win big on national television

FB94

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
That’s my point, national tv and he wanted to show everyone the raiders are different from last year. Their defense was far from vanilla tonight, and all week long he had to hear questions about the air raid offense and that was evident to me it added a little fuel to fire for this game

Hoodhero

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
All Qb's scored touchdowns except KM. I think that must be 1st time that ever happened to him from preschool. Imagine his mind state after this game especially with his competitve nature. This is one of those preseason games where hard lessons where handed all around. However the defense scares the hell out of me the most.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Kyler looked like crap. Most of the team did. It is preseason. Doesn't mean much.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

sdscard4

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Its all about how we look against Detroit that matters. I know last year it took about 45 mins of watching us against Washington that i said oh crap we in trouble and this Wilks guy is a moron. Pre season means jack esp Gruden having the D blitz

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
All Qb's scored touchdowns except KM. I think that must be 1st time that ever happened to him from preschool. Imagine his mind state after this game especially with his competitve nature. This is one of those preseason games where hard lessons where handed all around. However the defense scares the hell out of me the most.
Well, he blew it off during his press conference stating that it wasn’t the regular season, so I don’t think he cares that much.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Its all about how we look against Detroit that matters. I know last year it took about 45 mins of watching us against Washington that i said oh crap we in trouble and this Wilks guy is a moron. Pre season means jack esp Gruden having the D blitz

Watching Oakland run exotic blitzes was hilarious.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Were they though?
They definitely blitzed a lot for preseason. Don’t know how “exotic” they were. I think that’s being overblown. Even if they blitz our guys were physically overwhelmed and they weren’t able to take advantage of the blitz. There’s no excuse for what the first tram offense put out there.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
They definitely blitzed a lot for preseason. Don’t know how “exotic” they were. I think that’s being overblown. Even if they blitz our guys were physically overwhelmed and they weren’t able to take advantage of the blitz. There’s no excuse for what the first tram offense put out there.
They couldn’t do anything against Oakland’s second team! Extremely strong; show me a QB who has ever been more efficient throwing for 12 yards in 3 possessions.

b8rtm8nn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
They couldn’t do anything against Oakland’s second team! Extremely strong; show me a QB who has ever been more efficient throwing for 12 yards in 3 possessions.

Sam Bradford, 2018 Arizona Cardinals

No safeties = more efficient

Cardinal

All Star
Reaction score
Were they though?

The play that resulted in a safety definitely was. The two inside linebackers were showing blitz the whole way until they both dropped back into coverage at the snap. The safety Joyner was covering Fitz head up in the slot then lined up in a 4-point stance behind Ferrell. Joyner is so small (5'8") and quick that it was a good strategy. Murray never saw it coming.

Two plays before that, Oakland brought their SS #42 Joseph and ILB #54 Brandon Marshall through the strong side at the snap and had their weak side DE #96 Ferrell drop into coverage.

Once K1 went out, their defense got real vanilla. They trying to send a message to the #1 overall pick. Joyner even called Kingsbury's offense "pretty boy football". I'm sure he got that from his DC all week.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Totally unprepared for the game tonight

Coaches should be embarrassed. Way too many penalties
I thought some of the penalties were pretty bogus, but they did have some bad ones for sure and drive killers at that.

I thought the false starts on K1 were tough because they didn't call them last week, but now all of the sudden it's a penalty?

The delay of game seemed to be like they may not have reset the clock and Murray alluded to it in the presser, but I will have to watch again to see if that is true or not.

The offensive PI on KJ seemed like a pretty weak call and was also a complete drive killer.

The personal foul on BB on the first Raider's drive was also a weak call IMO as he tackled his man with his head up as you would want him to.

The holding on 3rd and 1 might have been the one that hurt the worst. They were finally stringing some plays together and DJ was primed to get a good gain on that play only for it to be called back and given another 3rd and long.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Not much exotic about blocking the guy in front of you though
Which is made harder to accomplish when teams are bringing exotic blitzes. Which is the point of those blitzes in the first place. Not saying they don't need to do better, but they simply seemed unprepared for Oakland to bring the heat as much as they did.

FB94

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Totally agree, both line of scrimmages are soft. Still waiting for the Suggs and Swearinger intensity to start rubbing off. So far weak and meek

OP
OP
Ronin

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Steve Palazzolo (@PFF_Steve)
8/16/19, 8:58 AM
Andy Isabella notes:

Many of predraft analysis came true in this game.

-Struggled with physical CB play.
-Couple routes that took too long, had unnecessary moves
-Used his speed to burn the D for a long TD

Looks like the vertical game out of the slot will be big part of ARI O

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I thought some of the penalties were pretty bogus, but they did have some bad ones for sure and drive killers at that.

I thought the false starts on K1 were tough because they didn't call them last week, but now all of the sudden it's a penalty?

The delay of game seemed to be like they may not have reset the clock and Murray alluded to it in the presser, but I will have to watch again to see if that is true or not.

The offensive PI on KJ seemed like a pretty weak call and was also a complete drive killer.

The personal foul on BB on the first Raider's drive was also a weak call IMO as he tackled his man with his head up as you would want him to.

The holding on 3rd and 1 might have been the one that hurt the worst. They were finally stringing some plays together and DJ was primed to get a good gain on that play only for it to be called back and given another 3rd and long.
Either a few people keep saying this, or you do over and again. It’s not true. While they didn’t call the clap on kyler last week, they did call one on hundley. I was surprised when they called that one too.

When all QBs see the clock running down it’s not unusual to see them start madly repeatedly clapping for the ball. I’ve seen Brady do it, Manning do it, Rivers do it. Why aren’t those penalties? Seems weird. And no I don’t subscribe to any referee conspiracy theory against Kingsbury.