Quick Reactions - Preseason Game 2

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Couple of quick hitters:

The offensive line is not good in pass pro, but we don’t spend enough time talking about how few running lanes they open up. I didn’t see any until the 4th quarter the Slippery Rock RB was in. This is going to hinder KK’s offense since defenders will sag into coverage

Kyler Murray was awful today. The line didn’t help, but he was air mailing throws even when his feet were set. Not once did he cross his own 40 yard line, and he has yet to get beyond midfield in any of his five drives in preseason so far. This is against #1 and #2 defenses. I still think he’ll be good, but he’s not as plug-and-play as people believed him to be. Murray needs time to learn the speed of the game.

Hundley has looked sharp. This offense suits him well. If Murray weren’t a #1 pick or even a first round pick, there would be talk of a QB competition (this is not an endorsement for Hundley to be the starter).

3-4 or 4-3. It doesn’t matter. You need players to play. We have weaknesses at ILB and the d-line. This team will be lucky to be better than 25th in rushing yards allowed. It looked remarkably similar to last season’s team

With Alford and PP21 out an extended period of time and the state of the interior, this defense will resemble that of Texas Tech.

Zane Gonzales is fine. We don’t need to bring in competition

Chase Edmunds is going to be sneaky good this season

If Sherfield wasn’t already on the 53-man roster, he guaranteed his place tonight. It didn’t make sense before, but now it certainly makes no sense to bring in another WR, especially a dude like Crabtree. He’s catching almost everything in his radius and plays on special teams.

Nice to see Isabella get that long, contested TD catch. That was very aggressive and he had the jets even with a bum knee.

Yes, it’s preseason, but some deficits are starting to materialize. I can see Murray figuring things out sooner rather than later. For the life of me, I can’t imagine this defense being any better than below average.
Hopefully he has some blitz packages that will slow opposing offenses down a little? They have to stop missing so many tackles also. If the news is true about Alford breaking his leg in practice, then the defense will totally be bad?

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
The offense does not worry me with a rookie head coach/QB running vanilla schemes and protections against a defense throwing the kitchen sink at them.... now, the defense has more issues than a married politician dating a crack ***** lol
Lol. I'm like you, not worried about the offense, we will score points. The defense looks horrible right now & horrible is giving it credit lol.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Penalties were crazy. Vanilla defense by the Raiders I think not. They were blitzing double gap and from the outside.

We huddled EVERY play. Not once did we go up tempo. I think we really do have a plan on offense. Defense? Yikes.
I agree 100% with everything you said.

ARZCardinals

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Excuses excuses excuses
Where the other team executed

If y’all ain’t in panic mode
You should be

The o line couldn’t open one lane
They couldn’t execute one screen pass
Murray was under pressure

I said it before the o line will be the death of this team ...and I’ll say it again.

The defense was atrocious
Vance Joseph was smoked

Anyone drafting David Johnson in fantasy better have a back up plan

KK and K1 can’t even clap right

Cards depth at CB is about to be you and me

I try not to buy into preseason but what I’ve seen in 2 games is damn concerning and I’m real glad I didn’t buy season tix...looks like everyone is in for a loooong season.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Excuses excuses excuses
Where the other team executed

If y’all ain’t in panic mode
You should be

The o line couldn’t open one lane
They couldn’t execute one screen pass
Murray was under pressure

I said it before the o line will be the death of this team ...and I’ll say it again.

The defense was atrocious
Vance Joseph was smoked

Anyone drafting David Johnson in fantasy better have a back up plan

KK and K1 can’t even clap right

Cards depth at CB is about to be you and me

I try not to buy into preseason but what I’ve seen in 2 games is damn concerning and I’m real glad I didn’t buy season tix...looks like everyone is in for a loooong season.
I will never enter panic mode in the preseason. You can count me in as somewhat concerned, but until I see at least game 1 of the games that count I refuse to panic.

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Few things. #1, I'm not impressed with this "Air Raid" offense so far. Nothing air raid about 5 yard dump passes. They did nothing to open things up. He threw 1 deep ball in 2 appearances.

#2, something that really bothered me. After the bogus OPI, we were in a 3rd and long and Kingsbury channeled his inner Wilks and simply ran up the middle waving a white flag. It's pre-season. If you're not going to try some tricky stuff now, you're not going to later.

And #3, as bad as the 1st quarter was, we had 2 big plays called back. Don't know what impact that might have had but penalties had us back on our heels the entire time. But it doesn't excuse that Murray stunk up the joint last night.

If this is what's to come, we're in big trouble.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NYCARDS

Registered
Reaction score
“At one point, the Raiders had outgained the Cardinals 231-12 in total yards.”

That says a lot on both sides

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
He is not the only one, but I am concerned about Hicks in coverage. The running back that he was trying to chase down after the catch made him look slow.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
All three levels of the defense have me in panic mode. It's bad...... really really bad.

Offensively, we looked just as bad, but I really think it was an aberration. Gruden turned things up for his old employers last night. Multiple blitzes and game planning on their side. I truly think K2 is hiding everything right now. And personally, I think it is a mistake to do so.

Kyler looked like a rookie under pressure last night. High throws, bad pocket awareness, and I think he has been ordered not to run right now. Hopefully it becomes a learning experience and not a harbinger of what the future holds.

Still though..... We looked like a bottom 5 team last night against a Raiders team that will probably also be a bottom 5 team. Truly disappointing, but only for one week.

This episode of Hard Knocks is going to truly suck for us.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Few things. #1, I'm not impressed with this "Air Raid" offense so far. Nothing air raid about 5 yard dump passes. They did nothing to open things up. He threw 1 deep ball in 2 appearances.

#2, something that really bothered me. After the bogus OPI, we were in a 3rd and long and Kingsbury channeled his inner Wilks and simply ran up the middle waving a white flag. It's pre-season. If you're not going to try some tricky stuff now, you're not going to later.

And #3, as bad as the 1st quarter was, we had 2 big plays called back. Don't know what impact that might have had but penalties had us back on our heels the entire time. But it doesn't excuse that Murray stunk up the joint last night.

Why would you waste trick plays on the preseason? You want to save those for games that actually matter. When you are stuck 3rd and long you are absolutely better off running than giving away your trick plays or risking injury to your QB on a sack.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

.....you answered....your own.....question.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Murray may need some time? Lol. He has one year per the standard.

If this offense is going to work in the NFL, one would think that the way you snap the ball would work and not be a penalty in the league.

A lot of the same excuses being put out there that mirror what was being said a year ago.

Fair or not, Mr. Kingsbury and Mr. Murray are on the line for the huge investment made by Keim and the Cardinals to take a risk on what one can argue is nothing more than a trend. Murray has the physical tools, hopefully this is not the only offense he can run.

At least there is one positive, Kyler Murray looks more stocky than I thought, he very well may survive in the NFL.

So, the Cardinals have that going for them...

Sent from my mystical communication warp drive device thingy

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Murray may need some time? Lol. He has one year per the standard.

If this offense is going to work in the NFL, one would think that the way you snap the ball would work and not be a penalty in the league.

A lot of the same excuses being put out there that mirror what was being said a year ago.

Fair or not, Mr. Kingsbury and Mr. Murray are on the line for the huge investment made by Keim and the Cardinals to take a risk on what one can argue is nothing more than a trend. Murray has the physical tools, hopefully this is not the only offense he can run.

At least there is one positive, Kyler Murray looks more stocky than I thought, he very well may survive in the NFL.

So, the Cardinals have that going for them...

Sent from my mystical communication warp drive device thingy
Clearly they have gotten mixed signals on this as they have had referees in camp and they never got called for it in game 1. That tells me that it is something that some crews will flag and others won't. At least now he knows that he has to be careful of how animated he gets with the snap count.

JosiahLee

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

I can’t help but think points #1 and #2 are bc it’s preseason and they are continuing to keep the offense a secret

AZCrazy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
This game has filled me with an apprehension that wasn't there before the game.
We weren't going to be a playoff team this year, that was never the issue.

They aren't showing their plays or gameplanning for these games (as the Raiders clearly did), so that is understood as well.

But they looked dysfunctional on a level on par with last year. Even if it's just a practice game, it was a brutalization. They have three weeks to
get tightened up and look like a professionally run operation. They need to at least be competitive, even if this isn't the year they win the close games.
That's the step that needs to be taken this year.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Agree that Murray did not look good but a major concern is that our offensive line really looks horrible. Murray is already running for his life as Rosen had to do last year. IMO Murray is going to get killed with this crappy line.

blindseyed

I'm saying you ARE stuck in Wichita
Reaction score
Agree that Murray did not look good but a major concern is that our offensive line really looks horrible. Murray is already running for his life as Rosen had to do last year. IMO Murray is going to get killed with this crappy line.
And yet year after year it never gets addressed, it's baffling that the OL never ever gets better

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He's not a statue, but Hundley is showing how successful a QB can be in the Air Raid, staying in the pocket.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
He did against those guys that will be working in shopping malls in a few weeks. Proud of him.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
G-PA