OP
OP
Chris_Sanders

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hah when I said this off season was the Kelly Oubre trade all over...

Jones trying to be dumb and falls into it turning out. It's like an old comedy sketch of the doofus who does well.

Mr Bean Manages the Suns

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I bet the Suns were unwilling to offer Rozier anything close to what Charlotte gave him. I also doubt they valued Rozier higher than Rubio, they just thought that Rubio was going to Indiana and was out of the picture. When Milwaukee let Brogdon walk, Indiana quit pursuing Rubio, and the Suns were able to get him.

Serendipity.

I am unwilling to say it is just dumb luck. It is luck with the willingness to switch the focus to take advantage of an opportunity. I am giving Jones the benefit of the doubt on this one. I do not know for sure of course.

And yes, thank you MJ. If he had not pushed for Rozier, Jones might have committed to Rozier to quickly and then when Rubio became available, it would have been too late.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe we should thank Michael Jordon for Devin Booker as well.

There was concern by some in the 2015 NBA Draft the Suns might have interest in Frank Kaminsky.

Luckily Jordon prevailed in his desire to draft Kaminsky.

Carolinacacti

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Hey quit hammering Charlotte. They sure have won more games then Phoenix the last five years. And probably will win more this year two.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can't fault a GM for a deal that didn't get made. I wouldn't have minded Rozier had he cost half of what he signed for but odds are his deal was a lot more than that. I'm glad we didn't sign him and got Rubio instead but since the deal for Rozier didn't go through and no one knows the money involved, I don't think Jones should be judged to negatively for a deal that didn't happen and wasn't all that close to happening.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I can't fault a GM for a deal that didn't get made. I wouldn't have minded Rozier had he cost half of what he signed for but odds are his deal was a lot more than that. I'm glad we didn't sign him and got Rubio instead but since the deal for Rozier didn't go through and no one knows the money involved, I don't think Jones should be judged to negatively for a deal that didn't happen and wasn't all that close to happening.
Yeah that.

And thank you MJ.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This is Charlotte's MO. Their cap sheet is a horror show.

If you just look at this year's salaries, they've got a near monopoly on insane contracts.

Cody Zellar for 14.5 million a year is one of their BETTER contracts.

They've got the 10th highest payroll in the NBA and I don't know that they've got a single starting caliber player on their entire roster.

Last edited:

Carolinacacti

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
They've got the 10th highest payroll in the NBA and I don't know that they've got a single starting caliber player on their entire roster.

Everyone here in Charlotte is saying the same thing but some feel the young guys and Vets will still win. Most wanted a Tank like the rest of the league without a superstar.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Everyone here in Charlotte is saying the same thing but some feel the young guys and Vets will still win. Most wanted a Tank like the rest of the league without a superstar.

I don't think they're the worst team in the league, there are other teams with less serviceable players but they're probably the most bleak. Other terrible teams have some young guy they're hoping will be a star, the Hornets have nothing. They're expensive, relatively old and they don't have an above average player on the roster, it's a bunch of 6th-7th men.

I can somewhat understand deciding that the Kemba Walker team wasn't going anywhere so a rebuild might be better than throwing him a massive contract, but that logic goes out the window when you turnaround and give a bum like Rozier nearly 20 mil a year. Lost an all-star and then blew most of that savings on a guy that I think stinks. Makes no sense.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This does not inspire me with confidence in James Jones.

I really do not understand how Rozier could ever be a legit target for 15+ million a year. Minus his one tiny playoff spurt he has had a career very similar to Isiah Canaan.

If this is how Jones really evaluates PG's, we need to pray Leque gets a jump shot and becomes our long term answer - because I don't think Rubio is going to be satisfactory even though he is a big improvement over what we have had.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
This does not inspire me with confidence in James Jones.

I really do not understand how Rozier could ever be a legit target for 15+ million a year. Minus his one tiny playoff spurt he has had a career very similar to Isiah Canaan.

If this is how Jones really evaluates PG's, we need to pray Leque gets a jump shot and becomes our long term answer - because I don't think Rubio is going to be satisfactory even though he is a big improvement over what we have had.
How do you know we offered him 15+ a year? Here's what we know:

1) We liked Rubio -- whether you agree with that is another topic. We were told he was going to Indiana.
2) Indiana was going to get Rubio and by all accounts, Rubio agreed.
3) Brogdan became available and Indiana reached out and got him, nullifying whatever verbal agreement they had with Rubio.
4) Because we thought Rubio was going to Indiana, we shifted to Rozier. No money has been mentioned in any report.
5) Rozier thought he was going to the Knicks, and then got a better offer from us. There's no word what we offered, nor what NY was willing to pay.
6) Charlotte came calling and Rozier got more than he probably would have gotten from us or NY.
7) Since Indy went with Rubio, we jumped on him, and he was our preference over Rozier in the first place.

These are all facts as we know them, and the ONLY numbers that are known at this point are what we paid Rubio and what Charlotte is paying Rozier.

Without more concrete facts, I just don't understand how James Jones is the bad guy, or at worst the idiot, in all these scenarios.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

1) We liked Rubio -- whether you agree with that is another topic. We were told he was going to Indiana.
3) Brogdan became available and Indiana reached out and got him, nullifying whatever verbal agreement they had with Rubio.
4) Because we thought Rubio was going to Indiana, we shifted to Rozier. No money has been mentioned in any report.
5) Rozier thought he was going to the Knicks, and then got a better offer from us. There's no word what we offered, nor what NY was willing to pay.
6) Charlotte came calling and Rozier got more than he probably would have gotten from us or NY.
7) Since Indy went with Rubio, we jumped on him, and he was our preference over Rozier in the first place.

These are all facts as we know them, and the ONLY numbers that are known at this point are what we paid Rubio and what Charlotte is paying Rozier.

Without more concrete facts, I just don't understand how James Jones is the bad guy, or at worst the idiot, in all these scenarios.

i think the fact that he wanted Rozier at all makes me question James Jones' thought process. the rest is all speculation.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i think the fact that he wanted Rozier at all makes me question James Jones' thought process. the rest is all speculation.

Couple that with the fact that evidently there was ZERO interest in D'Angelo Russell. Think about that for one second. No interest in Russell but interest in Rozier?

Yeah...doesn't bode well for his judgement at all. Not unless all of his interest in Rozier was all about settling. Still.............

OP
OP
Chris_Sanders

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

The article clearly states that Rozier was our top target who got poached by Jordan so then we went for Rubio

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
The article clearly states that Rozier was our top target who got poached by Jordan so then we went for Rubio
No it doesn't. It doesn't say that at all. Nowhere does it say that Rozier was our top target. You are inferring it because the article is about Rozier and not the Suns.

OP
OP
Chris_Sanders

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Couple that with the fact that evidently there was ZERO interest in D'Angelo Russell. Think about that for one second. No interest in Russell but interest in Rozier?

Yeah...doesn't bode well for his judgement at all. Not unless all of his interest in Rozier was all about settling. Still.............

Absolutely when you are saying we have no interest in Russell because of the fit of a poor passing, ball dominant guard

And then make poor passing AND shooting ball dominant Rozier as your top target.

It makes no sense.

OP
OP
Chris_Sanders

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No it doesn't. It doesn't say that at all. Nowhere does it say that Rozier was our top target. You are inferring it because the article is about Rozier and not the Suns.

Did you read it? The timeline is spelled out.

That was needed because Phoenix apparently had an enticing offer out to Rozier, who was a free agent for the Boston Celtics. Before the free agency period opened, Rozier expected to take a one-year deal with the Knicks, but early that morning, the Suns put an offer on the table that trumped New York’s, he said.

Even after the Hornets expressed interest, Rozier told Bleacher Report that he believed Phoenix’s offer would be the one he accepted.

That was when, Rozier said, Michael Jordan, the Hornets’ principal owner, intervened. “Mike was overseas, and I can just picture him probably having a cigar in his mouth and the words he told Mitch [Kupchak], the GM, was like: ‘Get him over here. Do what you need to do to get him over here.'”

Rozier was sold. “I’d be a fool if I was to go anywhere else or turn down that,” he said. “I look at it as just a team, organization believing in me. Knowing that I want to prove myself in this league and giving me that chance is bigger than anything and [their willingness] to pay me a right amount of money, it was just big and the guy that was behind all that was Michael Jordan. It’s still surreal to me.”

Rozier’s deal: a three-year contract worth $58 million. With that agreed upon, Charlotte initiated a sign-and-trade to acquire Rozier from the Celtics in a deal that sent fellow point guard Kemba Walker the other way.

The Suns appeared ready to handle the fallout.

They worked quickly to agree upon a three-year, $51 million contract with former Utah Jazz point guard Ricky Rubio. They had Rubio locked up in the first half-hour of the official free agency period.

The timeline by Terry Rozier himself is:

Suns send an offer in the AM
Jordan trumps Suns offer
Rozier agrees to Charlotte
Suns sign Rubio in response

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Did you read it? The timeline is spelled out.

The timeline by Terry Rozier himself is:

Suns send an offer in the AM
Jordan trumps Suns offer
Rozier agrees to Charlotte
Suns sign Rubio in response
Right, but the Suns sent an offer AFTER they had already been told by Rubio's camp that he was going to Indiana.

Raze

Suns fan since '89
Reaction score

When looking at the contract size, we absolutely should have had ZERO interest in Russell at $29M.

We also should have had ZERO interest in Rozier at $19M... or $15M...

We got the better deal with Rubio at $17M. While I absolutely am at a loss for words at Jones's handling of assets, I'm content with this signing, especially when I look at what they paid those other two. I'll reserve judgement on Rozier until I hear what we offered him.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Right, but the Suns sent an offer AFTER they had already been told by Rubio's camp that he was going to Indiana.

That's pure speculation. There isn't anything that says the Suns spoke to Rubio's camp before making the offer to Rozier. The Suns turned to Rubio after Rozier's offer was declined, or Charlotte beat the offer to Rozier. Either way, an offer was made to Rozier and it wasn't until that was no longer a possibility that the Suns agreed to terms with Rubio. We don't know when talks started with Rubio. We don't know who the Suns preferred between Rubio and Rozier if all things were equal. All we do know is that Rubio ended up being the big PG signing right after free agency opened up.

Ignored in everything is how Rozier was a restricted free agent. Boston said they were going to match or they planned on matching early in the season but talk of that quieted down as free agency got closer and closer.

I'm not holding it against Jones or anyone in the Suns front office for being interested in Rozier, or making an offer, we don't know what it was for in terms of years and money. It didn't happen and it appears talks didn't really go very far anyway. We ended up with a better player in Rubio and I'm grateful for that.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose