NFL: Colin Kaepernick signing would be right move for Cardinals

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
I read the article this morning. I had suggested him as a backup to Murray on here but someone shot it down saying he wanted to be a starter.

Last edited:

The Kraken

Veteran
Reaction score
All of his political BS aside, he SHOULD have been a "perfect" fit for Chip Kelly's offense... Couldn't even beat out Blaine Gabbert.

KM is more than just a good athlete, to be effective in the Air Raid you have to be accurate and you have to be able to read the field to execute the passing scheme's concept.

It is a plus for a Air Raid QB to be mobile, but not a requirement.

CK is NOT accurate. Additionally, he was not able to execute the zone read... He ran a similar offense in college, "the pistol" which is a play-side read vice a back-side read in Chip Kelly's system, but success in college is hardly an indicator of NFL success (as we PAINFULLY know)...CK was at his best when Greg Roman was the OC and they were pounding the ball with that huge OL and captilizing on play action.

HARD PASS

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
just because he is black and mobile doesnt mean he would be a good fit here. The dude hasnt even played football in what....two years? come on now. Plus in his final year, he wasnt very good at all.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He could not beat out Gabbert who is not good. Other than one season, he has never been good.

He would be an incredibly large distraction.

He needs to go to the XFL - they would love to have him, and if he plays well enough he probably could get in the NFL again.

GoldGloveschmidt

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Love the guy's passion for his cause but based on football reasons alone, no we shouldn't bring him in and have no reason to.

Vacard

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Who got hurt? We already have a suitable backup qb who is familiar with the offense.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
Actually no because everything about the guy is political. He's a cancer based on that alone. Would you want that distraction on a team with a rookie QB?

Not judging his political views, and the word "cancer" is a little strong, but I agree about the distraction part.

We have a new, rookie head coach, rookie QB, and a team fighting to build a good internal culture and identity. I don't think we need the circus that would inevitably follow him to his new team.

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Not judging his political views, and the word "cancer" is a little strong, but I agree about the distraction part.

We have a new, rookie head coach, rookie QB, and a team fighting to build a good internal culture and identity. I don't think we need the circus that would inevitably follow him to his new team.
How about toxic.

Dan H

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I don’t feel like he’s ever recovered physically from his injury. His frame is significantly smaller. He was done after the 47-7 drubbing we put on the Niners, IMO.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
If he was good somebody would have signed him a long time ago. His talent is marginal at best and the track record for any player that sits out for a couple of years then tries to comeback is weak.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wit3card

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I think he will be a good signing for someone else, but I don't see us as a suiter. We have 2 QB and 2 PS eligable QB so, why should we, if KM goes down for more than 2 games and in this stretch Hundley goes down too, than by all means, we don't need a good Backup QB, we need a new O-line by then.

So no it doesn't make sense from a team perspective.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
These articles frustrate me on many levels.

#1. Nothing has been indicated he is willing to be a back up in the NFL.

#2. We have seen articles that he expects to be well compensated. $20 million dollars to play in the AAF

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2019/02/15/report-colin-kaepernick-wanted-million-play-aaf/

So if it is clear that he wants a starting job and he wants starting money, why are their articles about how he should be the back up? It's beyond lazy click bait.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So those are the reasons he won't be coming here. Opportunity and payment. We aren't giving him the starting job and we certainly aren't cutting multiple starters on the team to afford back up QB.

And that doesn't even get into how polarizing a signing it would be. Your own stadium would be a chorus of boos.

Part of it when Kaepernick plays by those that disagree with his politics.
Part of it when Murray makes a mistake because they love Kaepernick

It would be a crapfest

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
These articles frustrate me on many levels.

#1. Nothing has been indicated he is willing to be a back up in the NFL.

#2. We have seen articles that he expects to be well compensated. $20 million dollars to play in the AAF

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2019/02/15/report-colin-kaepernick-wanted-million-play-aaf/

So if it is clear that he wants a starting job and he wants starting money, why are their articles about how he should be the back up? It's beyond lazy click bait.
So his being out of the NFL is his fault and his fault alone. He wants to play but on his terms. As you said, he was offered a job in the AAF but he wanted a ridiculous amount of money. The CFL offered him a job and he turned it down. Hell, he optioned out of his contract with SF.