Could Devin Booker be a future trade candidate?

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This thread is ridiculous. Devin Booker has improved at a rate as good as any player and yet you are basing whether he should be traded on the team. He hasn't had a good team, let alone a consistent one around him in his ENTIRE career.

Then I hear "Trade him if we are bottom THIRD of the NBA next summer." My God, that is almost CERTAINLY what is going to happen next summer and we want to trade him when he has 4 years left on a max deal? Yeah, first, not many teams will go for that. Don't be fooled by the Paul George trade. And second, in order to build a team, you have to start somewhere. Booker is a pretty good piece to start with. And let's face it, people, this team only STARTED to be built last summer. We can moan about it being 10 years, but we can all agree that the "rebuild" put in place by McDonough was an abject failure. THIS is the real rebuild right here. And signing Booker to the max deal was step number 2 (after drafting Ayton).

I generally agree with this. However, if Booker wants out and let's say we could get an equal caliber PF in return? I wouldn't mind making that trade. Would I like to hang on to Booker and see him right this out? Sure. Having said that I can't blame Booker if he runs out of patience and I certainly wouldn't advocate trading him without equal value. It doesn't make much sense to trade a legitimate cornerstone of your franchise.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I generally agree with this. However, if Booker wants out and let's say we could get an equal caliber PF in return? I wouldn't mind making that trade. Would I like to hang on to Booker and see him right this out? Sure. Having said that I can't blame Booker if he runs out of patience and I certainly wouldn't advocate trading him without equal value.
Sure, I just think there's a 0.01% chance of that happening. Especially when you have a guy with a max contract that still has 4 years on it. How anyone can think we can get value for that is beyond me, even if he's a star.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sure, I just think there's a 0.01% chance of that happening. Especially when you have a guy with a max contract that still has 4 years on it. How anyone can think we can get value for that is beyond me, even if he's a star.

Well if Booker wants out you know how this will end up regardless of his contract. Teams will get creative and put together multi-team deals to make it happen if they want someone bad enough.

The Suns will probably end up on the short end of that.

Last edited:

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
FWIW and no inside knowledge just relaying what gets speculated, but when the Warriors acquired DeAngelo Russell and word leaked out they might have done it to trade him later, Booker was one of the names getting tossed around. Phoenix apparently had interest in Russell before the Warriors got him. I can't imagine Phoenix would do that deal straight up and I don't know what else the Warriors could throw in since they gave up multiple picks this offseason and don't really have much else to trade. but the notion that he might be traded was apparently out there a few months ago. I never took that one seriously because I just can't fathom a way the Warriors could offer enough to get Booker.

I guess we'll see but as an outsider it seems to me this is the year the Suns need to show major improvement, if they don't with a 2nd year Ayton and Booker coming into his prime, then maybe they look at moving Booker. Getting hosed in the draft lottery obviously didn't help. If Ayton shows a big jump that could result in more open looks for Booker boosting his FG% and then you're looking at 2 cornerstone players, if that doesn't happen then I can see them possibly look to move Booker.

The Suns were interested in Russell in large part because of Booker. Booker and Russell are said to be best friends and if we acquired Russell it would have been to appease Booker just as much as filling the PG hole. There was talk of Russell, Karl Anthony-Towns, and Booker all teaming up in the near future to form a new big 3 since they're all good friends and that's what got Minnesota's name out there as a suitor for Russell as well, and part of why they're still looked at as a team that might make a play for him. Giving them 2 of those 3 players would put the Suns in a tough spot because it would appear ike Booker would head there as soon as he could but that's still 5 years away because of his extension last summer.

I do think the Warriors will trade Russell but I ghly doubt the Suns will be involved unless the Warriors really want Rubio for some reason. I can't see the Suns havinhig interest unless they unloaded Rubio because he'd move to the bench otherwise and he's making way too much to come off the bench. Rubio's skillset isn't exactly ideal for a Sixth man either. Maybe the Suns could use Rubio's deal to help get salaries lined up, something like Rubio and Bridges for Russell but I wouldn't be in favor of that. I would think Golden State could find a better deal also.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Suns were interested in Russell in large part because of Booker. Booker and Russell are said to be best friends and if we acquired Russell it would have been to appease Booker just as much as filling the PG hole. There was talk of Russell, Karl Anthony-Towns, and Booker all teaming up in the near future to form a new big 3 since they're all good friends and that's what got Minnesota's name out there as a suitor for Russell as well, and part of why they're still looked at as a team that might make a play for him. Giving them 2 of those 3 players would put the Suns in a tough spot because it would appear ike Booker would head there as soon as he could but that's still 5 years away because of his extension last summer.

I do think the Warriors will trade Russell but I ghly doubt the Suns will be involved unless the Warriors really want Rubio for some reason. I can't see the Suns havinhig interest unless they unloaded Rubio because he'd move to the bench otherwise and he's making way too much to come off the bench. Rubio's skillset isn't exactly ideal for a Sixth man either. Maybe the Suns could use Rubio's deal to help get salaries lined up, something like Rubio and Bridges for Russell but I wouldn't be in favor of that. I would think Golden State could find a better deal also.

Interesting I didn't know they were buddies so it makes sense they want to play together not be traded for each other.

The Warriors could clearly facilitate that deal for Minnesota then, give them Russell for Covington(another rumored name) and then Minnesota would try and fool Phoenix into taking Wiggins for Booker I suppose.

I have to say I think a trio of KAT, Booker and Russell would be one of the worst defensive starting 5's in the league on paper.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I hope us Suns fans get to see one just one season where Book plays 70+ games healthy before he is traded. If he is traded I think Health is the reason. And the Suns are not getting a gold mine back.
I'll say again that it is not a coincidence that DBook had to carry both Guard roles . . .
and the opponents knew it.

Constant physical pressure on Devin. This season should show how he holds up
playing his natural position, won't have to bring the ball up the court and won't
have to guard speedy Point Guards.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If AD and Kawhi were trade candidates, Book could be. Situations change.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Interesting I didn't know they were buddies so it makes sense they want to play together not be traded for each other.

The Warriors could clearly facilitate that deal for Minnesota then, give them Russell for Covington(another rumored name) and then Minnesota would try and fool Phoenix into taking Wiggins for Booker I suppose.

I have to say I think a trio of KAT, Booker and Russell would be one of the worst defensive starting 5's in the league on paper.

I doubt Minnesota can give Wiggins away. I suspect when they were supposedly confident they could make space to sign Russell that was the Wolves trying and failing to find a trade partner.

I know I say it every time he gets mentioned here, but he is a monumental bust that is flying relatively under the radar as far as busts go. There have been worse players taken #1 overall but he was one of the most hyped players in 20 years coming out of high school and the dude is flat out terrible, a disaster of a player hiding behind high usage. He and Greg Oden are probably the most hyped high school players since LeBron but at least Oden had injuries as an excuse, Wiggins doesn't seem like he gives a crap.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I doubt Minnesota can give Wiggins away. I suspect when they were supposedly confident they could make space to sign Russell that was the Wolves trying and failing to find a trade partner.

I know I say it every time he gets mentioned here, but he is a monumental bust that is flying relatively under the radar as far as busts go. There have been worse players taken #1 overall but he was one of the most hyped players in 20 years coming out of high school and the dude is flat out terrible, a disaster of a player hiding behind high usage. He and Greg Oden are probably the most hyped high school players since LeBron but at least Oden had injuries as an excuse, Wiggins doesn't seem like he gives a crap.

If you remember the knock on him coming out of Kansas was he wasn't aggressive enough, lacked a killer instinct. So I think it's not a surprise about that, but what IS a surprise is as you said he's become such a high usage guy. Everyone telling him you need to be more assertive he apparently took as you need to shoot more.

There was a point I think year 3 where it looked like he might be turning the corner, put up almost 24 PPG with a reasonable shooting % and was starting to show some signs of buying in. Seemed like that offseason was his undoing instead of seeing the results of hard work and building on it, it seems like he sort of decided OK I've made it and has coasted since. his FG% dropped, his FT% dropped, and it sure seems to me like his defense has gotten worse too.

Jim Barnett who does the Warriors games on tv and radio, ex NBA player, has been pretty outspoken about Wiggins he says I just have a hard time understanding why a kid that physically talented doesn't impact the game more in terms of helping you win games.

At this point it seems unlikely he's going to "get it" but he's still young enough and athletic enough if he figures it out. But I agree it's going to be tough to move him now the last 2 years really hurt his reputation

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If you remember the knock on him coming out of Kansas was he wasn't aggressive enough, lacked a killer instinct. So I think it's not a surprise about that, but what IS a surprise is as you said he's become such a high usage guy. Everyone telling him you need to be more assertive he apparently took as you need to shoot more.

There was a point I think year 3 where it looked like he might be turning the corner, put up almost 24 PPG with a reasonable shooting % and was starting to show some signs of buying in. Seemed like that offseason was his undoing instead of seeing the results of hard work and building on it, it seems like he sort of decided OK I've made it and has coasted since. his FG% dropped, his FT% dropped, and it sure seems to me like his defense has gotten worse too.

Jim Barnett who does the Warriors games on tv and radio, ex NBA player, has been pretty outspoken about Wiggins he says I just have a hard time understanding why a kid that physically talented doesn't impact the game more in terms of helping you win games.

At this point it seems unlikely he's going to "get it" but he's still young enough and athletic enough if he figures it out. But I agree it's going to be tough to move him now the last 2 years really hurt his reputation

He turned it on to get paid and Minnesota foolishly threw the max at him. Ever since then he's resorted back to who he is, a guy with all of the talent in the world without any competitive drive.

I thought Minnesota would try dumping him before they ended up trading away Jimmy Butler. KAT made the mistake of speaking up when Butler was trashing the team and then he became the focus of Butler's ire, which made that situation unsalvageable.

It wouldn't surprise me if Wiggins finally gets it later in his career when his athletic gifts start diminishing, sort of like a modern day Vince Carter.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
?????????????

Booker has 5 years left on his deal.

AD and Kawhi had 1 year left on their deals.

I have tried to explain this before but the reality is we as fans are so used to the worst case scenario, we expect the worst case scenario

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Phoenix Suns

Draft talented players.

Hold them hostage and stifle their development for 4 years.

Trade them away.

Repeat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

iVAN

Reaction score
Numbers of draft picks needed for Iggins for Booker exchange?

iVAN

Reaction score
My concern about Booker is that his defense can make Iggins looks like MJ.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Wiggins can look like a really good player in flashes, especially when he is in isolation on offense.

Defensively he’s worse than Booker, he doesn't even pretend to try.

iVAN

Reaction score
Wiggins can look like a really good player in flashes, especially when he is in isolation on offense.

Defensively he’s worse than Booker, he doesn't even pretend to try.

I understand that, but if he tries can stop the elite SGs and SFs of the league.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I understand that, but if he tries can stop the elite SGs and SFs of the league.

No way, he's never shown any sign of that ability as a defender. On offense he's shown flashes of ability, on D he has consistently been nothing but garbage.

iVAN

Reaction score
No way, he's never shown any sign of that ability as a defender. On offense he's shown flashes of ability, on D he has consistently been nothing but garbage.

Not true.

Just look up on youtube "andrew wiggins defense kawhi leonard" andrew wiggins defense james harden"
You can see the physical tools, but the consistent effort is obviously not there.

But Booker couldn't do it even if he tried hard.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

That wasn't bad defense on that shot. He made a tough drive

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Not true.

Just look up on youtube "andrew wiggins defense kawhi leonard" andrew wiggins defense james harden"
You can see the physical tools, but the consistent effort is obviously not there.

But Booker couldn't do it even if he tried hard.

Youtube highlights are bupkiss. Andrew Wiggins is and always has been a complete dumpster fire on defense. Amare had quite the collection of highlight defensive plays, meanwhile he was a disaster on defense.

I'm not really sure what you're trying to debate here... that Wiggins SHOULD be better? I'd agree, but Wiggins isn't better, Wiggins if flat out freaking awful, he's terrible on both ends of the court and has shown no sign of improvement.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Youtube highlights are bupkiss. Andrew Wiggins is and always has been a complete dumpster fire on defense. Amare had quite the collection of highlight defensive plays, meanwhile he was a disaster on defense.

I'm not really sure what you're trying to debate here... that Wiggins SHOULD be better? I'd agree, but Wiggins isn't better, Wiggins if flat out freaking awful, he's terrible on both ends of the court and has shown no sign of improvement.
You can play excellent defense without having a single highlight play. Sometimes the reason for poor defense is the desire to make defensive highlight reels.

Suns_fan69

Official ASFN Lurker
Reaction score

As others have mentioned, hard to read too much into defense in some of these highlight reels. Here's Wiggins lighting up Ben Simmons for example:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson