OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Marvin Lewis is added as a Special Advisor to ASU football:

ASU football coach Herm Edwards continues to add those with NFL pedigree to his staff, today adding Marvin Lewis, the Cincinnati Bengals’ all-time leader in wins, who will join the Sun Devils as special advisor.

Edwards and Lewis will meet with the media Wednesday morning.

Not only does the program boast a leader with NFL credentials as a player, coach and broadcaster, several others on the staff have NFL ties as well. Offensive analyst Kevin Mawae, who played for 16 years with the Seahawks, Jets and Titans, is in the class to be inducted to the Hall of Fame later this summer.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/spo...ball-special-advisor-herm-edwards/1260175001/

Azlen

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I'm curious as to how much work he's going to put in or if this is a way to give a paid Arizona retirement to an old friend.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Says won’t have any interaction with players. Seems like a weird design. Though this entire construct has been weird.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Yeah interesting. Anyone have any inkling who the favorite is at QB?

Gambo said today that while it’s still too early to draw any firm conclusions, Daniels appears to have the upper hand on Dillon-Cole.
He also was going nuts about this kid Ethan Long. Apparently he is some sort of athletic freak, could end up playing 4 positions, one being QB, at some point this season.
Only 17 years old but being compared to Tillman and Jake in terms of leadership qualities...

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This is the quietest topic in the Valley by a mile. It’s amazing.

Until the team gets deeper into practicing and the QB situation flushes out, there isn't much to get interested in short of the media picking them to finish 3rd in the South.

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Daniels...my prediction.

I think you are right. https://247sports.com/college/arizo...ng-Cole-Joey-Yellen-Camp-Tontozona-134320108/

Last scrimmage, Daniels ran all with the first team, Sterling Cole didn't get many reps due to injury, and Yellen threw an Int. I think its already been decided.

Looks like the offense will be in good shape with a solid running game and some talent at the skill positions. Defense will be the concern, but hopefully they will come around.

As 82 indicates, the fascinating thing is going to be what they do with Ethan Long. They are calling him "Captain America", he can do anything, has an awesome attitude, and has excelled whereever they put him. Should be fun to watch.

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That had to be the worst-kept secret ever!

It seemed pretty obvious from the way they were talking and handing out the reps. Hopefully, he can stay keep that slight frame healthy and be ready for the big time. I am sure there will be some ups and downs along the way, but he has a lot of talent.

I'm just wondering if teams will load the box to stop Eno and dare JD to beat us with his arm. Should be interesting.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
It seemed pretty obvious from the way they were talking and handing out the reps. Hopefully, he can stay keep that slight frame healthy and be ready for the big time. I am sure there will be some ups and downs along the way, but he has a lot of talent.

I'm just wondering if teams will load the box to stop Eno and dare JD to beat us with his arm. Should be interesting.

One huge plus is the experience on the o-line. They could literally start 5 seniors across the line...

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That had to be the worst-kept secret ever!

I was so afraid the Sun Devils would reward the more senior player and go with Dillon Sterling-Cole. It's nice to see the Devils go with what I perceive as more talent going with Daniels and Yellen as 1 and 2.

I know Sterling-Cole had been slowed by injury but I suspect Graham might have gone with him as the starter.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
I was so afraid the Sun Devils would reward the more senior player and go with Dillon Sterling-Cole. It's nice to see the Devils go with what I perceive as more talent going with Daniels and Yellen as 1 and 2.

I know Sterling-Cole had been slowed by injury but I suspect Graham might have gone with him as the starter.

Daniels was the clear choice... Great to see Herm doing the right thing!

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some more depth for the secondary. ASU adds former five star recruit, cornerback Jack Jones.

Former five-star recruit Jack Jones has joined the Sun Devils and will have two years of eligibility remaining. He played for two seasons at USC before attending a junior college in 2018-19.

USC reportedly dismissed Jones from its team in May of 2018 due to academic issues. He was arrested in June 2018 and pled guilty in October to a second-degree misdemeanor charge of burglary after breaking into a Panda Express in California.

Felony charges against him were dropped at the time of his plea. As part of the agreement, he spent 45 days on house arrest and is on three years of informal probation.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/spo...ack-jones-joins-asu-football-team/2019911001/

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Let's hope he's got his act together since being dismissed by USC...

I hoping this is behind him because of all the steps that were completed before he was approved by ASU.

Of more concern, he hasn't played since his USC days. Also I understand he has rolled an ankle.

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I hoping this is behind him because of all the steps that were completed before he was approved by ASU.

Of more concern, he hasn't played since his USC days. Also I understand he has rolled an ankle.

I like this pick up. Two years of eligibility left. Could contribute this year, and definitely next year.

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This is the quietest topic in the Valley by a mile. It’s amazing.

From perusing other boards, there seems to be some bad blood going way back between Cards fans and ASU fans.

Lots of Cardinal fans on ASFN, not many ASU supporters.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose