15 thoughts - Chargers game

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
We all know this is preseason. We all know the best players are not playing much. We all know that makes it hard to project much in regard to the regular season. We all know the players on the field are playing for jobs. We all know some of them are playing to support their family. We all know the players on the field are ready to kill to make a player or at least play well. So, shall we continue without any complains or objections about how it is “only” preseason? Okay, good. Let’s go:

1 – What a great play by Jordan Hicks, causing the fumble after perfectly reading the play, and there is nothing “preseason-ish” over such a play. That is just pure instinct.

2 – I thought I had the top five wide receivers penciled down (Fitzgerald, Kirk, the three rookies), but what about Trent Sherfield? Does he crack the party and get extensive playing time? I thought he got very good separation from the defender, and obviously he made some big plays.

3 – You know that Murray-dude? Yeah, he´s quick.

4 – To me, linebacker Zeke Turner was the most impressive of all the backups. Good reads, fast, physical, and last year he obviously showed he was very good on special teams. I am high on this guy, I´ll tell you that.

5 – Is it still the setup where the away-team’s fans has to watch the home team’s TV-broadcast? If so, I feel bad for Chargers-fans. I had muted very quickly if it was me.

6 – I was not impressed by the special team blocking. However, here´s a good news: Andy Lee starts where he left off.

7 – I was already high on linebacker Dennis Gardeck last year – and I still am – but I thought there was a couple of plays where he showed that he still need to practice on his read-and-react skills.

8 – Is edge rusher Pete Robertson this year’s Cap Capi? Preseason stud who makes a lot of plays.

9 – I badly wanted to like the backup offensive line, but I just couldn’t. Well, I guess Korey Cunningham was okay.

10 – Great to see Ricky Seals-Jones make some plays. Make no mistake about it: the traditional tight end is becoming rare nowadays while the big receiver are the new norm.

11 – I thought defensive tackle Terrell McClain played well. It would be huge to have good depth at the defensive line.

(On that note, man, I am bumped that it didn’t work with Nkemdiche. He really is a world class talent. I wish him the very best.

P.S. And Philon? Idiot.)

12 – I think it is exciting that some of the second year players (all of them free agents) indicated that they have stepped up from last year. Linebackers Zeke Turner and Dennis Gardeck, cornerback Chris Jones, and wide receiver Trent Sherfield.

13 – I don’t really know what to make of it, but I thought some of the undrafted guys (defensive tackle Miles Brown, safety Tyler Sigler, runningback Wes Hills) was at least pleasant surprises.

14 – Maybe I shouldn’t put anything into it at all, but I just thought it was interesting that quarterback Drew Anderson got on the field before his rival, Charles Kanoff. I thought Kanoff did well in the preseason last year, so I just expected that he would be further ahead at this time.

15 – I guess Hakeem Butler proved why I wasn’t that high on him in the draft process with the inconsistency. Damn. Hopefully we will continue to improve.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Things I think I know:

Murray has all the physical tools to be an elite NFL QB (except for maybe height).

Our Dline will get abused this year.

Our Oline will be okay at best but more likely will struggle or even suck.

Love our WR talent.

Thinking RB room is pretty deep this year.

I'm bullish on our DB's.

LBers shouldn't be a weakness this year and very well may be a strength.

ST's should be good again this year.

FB94

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
As always our OL and DL will ultimately determine our fate. I’m hoping for 5-7 wins, and a jump to being a playoff contender next year. I would be shocked if the majority of our FA’s and draft picks next year are not trench guys.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Things I think I know:

Murray has all the physical tools to be an elite NFL QB (except for maybe height).

Our Dline will get abused this year.

Our Oline will be okay at best but more likely will struggle or even suck.

Love our WR talent.

Thinking RB room is pretty deep this year.

I'm bullish on our DB's.

LBers shouldn't be a weakness this year and very well may be a strength.

ST's should be good again this year.

Good offensive lines generally will have one to two elite talents and a collection of solid veterans around those building blocks.

The problem the Cardinals offensive line has is two fold: no elite talent building blocks and they cant stay healthy.

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
2 – I thought I had the top five wide receivers penciled down (Fitzgerald, Kirk, the three rookies), but what about Trent Sherfield? Does he crack the party and get extensive playing time? I thought he got very good separation from the defender, and obviously he made some big plays.

Not sure I see Sherfield breaking out at WR, but I definitely see him making the team and being very important on special teams.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Gandhi, nice job. I'll be keeping an eye on Turner, Thursday night. When we get PP back, we'll go into 2020 with a very deep defensive backfield, and a very good one.

Big D

...and STILL...
Reaction score
Gardeck has been one of those guys I just can’t ever make up my mind on for some reason. I go back and forth but what’s weird is it seems like it’s always to the extremes.

Even over the course of a single game I’ll be like damn, this dude can BALL... then 10 mins later I’m like ugh he clearly doesn’t belong in the NFL...

I can’t ever find any kind of middle ground with my own opinion of this dude lol

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Big D, keep in mind Gardeck only played ST (no defense) in his rookie year. Seems to be making progress, according to the coaches. He did lead the team in tackles in the Chargers' PS game. The hope is that Reddick will be back for the regular season, but if not we'll go with Gardeck. With the added PS games, he should be okay, but I guess the jury is still out. I like him. JMO.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Six wins seems pretty good. In the next offseason you add in two OL guys, an OLB (to replace Suggs, probably) and a DLman, and we'll be a playoff team. The four additions, imo, would be our first two draft picks and our top two FA signings. Naturally, this assumes KM will be as good as I think he'll be.

OP
OP
Gandhi

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Good offensive lines generally will have one to two elite talents and a collection of solid veterans around those building blocks.

The problem the Cardinals offensive line has is two fold: no elite talent building blocks and they cant stay healthy.

True, Krang. I actually cannot remember one offensive line where this has not been the case. Thus, in theory, it was smart to sign players like Jared Veldheer and Mike Iupati, and I thought that especially Veldheer had some good years with the Cards, but when the rest of the line isn’t playing well, then any good player will look mediocre.

I think Humphries is an above average player, but since there are no other of that caliber on the line, it doesn’t matter. Also, him being injured all the time obviously doesn’t make it better.

That said, I for one are willing to give Sean Kugler time.

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
True, Krang. I actually cannot remember one offensive line where this has not been the case. Thus, in theory, it was smart to sign players like Jared Veldheer and Mike Iupati, and I thought that especially Veldheer had some good years with the Cards, but when the rest of the line isn’t playing well, then any good player will look mediocre.

I think Humphries is an above average player, but since there are no other of that caliber on the line, it doesn’t matter. Also, him being injured all the time obviously doesn’t make it better.

I definitely trust in Kugler's coaching ability & have more concerns right now with the DL than the OL. K1 will make any OL better. I do see Keim using the waiver wire to bolster both lines, but injuries or lack there of, will ultimately determine our season. I think OL coaching goes a long way in the NFL. Conversely, the great D-Lines need legit talent. I like Allen, and think he can be a very good player for us. I do like Corey Peters, but I'm not sure he can bolster the middle of that D in a 3-4. Even in a preseason game, our front line last week got manhandled. Oakland's OL is huge, so I'm curious to see how we do up front. As the old lady in the old Wendy's commercials would say; "where's the beef".

Last edited:

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

Humphries is an above average player, but injury prone.

That's one good player, but the rest of the line is mediocre.

You can get by with Pugh
You can get by with Shipley
You can get by with Sweezy

I guess Gilbert is another good player, but again, injury prone.

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Humphries is an above average player, but injury prone.

That's one good player, but the rest of the line is mediocre.

You can get by with Pugh
You can get by with Shipley
You can get by with Sweezy

I guess Gilbert is another good player, but again, injury prone.

With the exception of Sweezy, are they not ALL injury prone? And I don't even know about Sweezy's history of injuries???

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Sorry but I got to go with Krang on this one. That’s why I called them the Eggshell Line. Gilbert played in only 7 games in 2017 & 5 last year. That’s why Pitt let him go. Pugh hasn’t played 16 since 2013 managing only 8 & 7 the last 2 years. Of course Humphries’ last 2 were 5 & 9. Shipley missed all of last year. Seems pretty unreliable to me.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Sorry but I got to go with Krang on this one. That’s why I called them the Eggshell Line. Gilbert played in only 7 games in 2017 & 5 last year. That’s why Pitt let him go. Pugh hasn’t played 16 since 2013 managing only 8 & 7 the last 2 years. Of course Humphries’ last 2 were 5 & 9. Shipley missed all of last year. Seems pretty unreliable to me.

IF all of the linemen didnt have the injury concerns, I would only be mildly concerned about the backups.

Whether Cole or Shipley wins the starting job, the team ends up with an experienced C/G backup. Cunningham flashed at times as well.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
Obviously the OL is not acceptable at this point, but I don't want us to overspend in FA next year. Find a few mid-level plug and play guys that can stay healthy, and spend some draft capital on this unit in 2020 to get some good young players in here.

Give me five guys decent-to-good guys that can stay on the field together for 16 games, and we'll be okay. We'll do what we need to do on offense.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Obviously the OL is not acceptable at this point, but I don't want us to overspend in FA next year. Find a few mid-level plug and play guys that can stay healthy, and spend some draft capital on this unit in 2020 to get some good young players in here.

Give me five guys decent-to-good guys that can stay on the field together for 16 games, and we'll be okay. We'll do what we need to do on offense.
I feel like we already have mid-level plug and play guys.

We really need to step it up with probably a proven acquisition AND a focus in the draft. Unfortunately, as has been mentioned, most young guys aren't prepared to start playing right away. They're overwhelmed in having to learn new technique in very little spans of time.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Draft Andrew Thomas.

Automatic starter & perennial All-Pro.

The Cardinals need to spend a high pick on the line to add ONE high level starter.

They also need a new RT sooner rather than later and probably a LT. The offensive line wont be fixed in one offseason.

Dan H

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
The nice thing is, theoretically we filled a bunch of our holes this draft. We can focus on O and D line next year like we did WR this year.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Cardinals need to spend a high pick on the line to add ONE high level starter.

They also need a new RT sooner rather than later and probably a LT. The offensive line wont be fixed in one offseason.
Andrew Thomas(LT) round 1
Lucas Niang(RT) in round 2.

Draft a RG in the 4th or 5th.

Foaming at a Andrew-Cole-Lamont-?-Niang OL.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Andrew Thomas(LT) round 1
Lucas Niang(RT) in round 2.

Draft a RG in the 4th or 5th.

Foaming at a Andrew-Cole-Lamont-?-Niang OL.

People shouldn't sleep in Gaillard. I think he can develop. Center has long been the place that longshots thrive.

Hell, even Shipley has been a fairly decent center.