Game #117-Arizona Diamondbacks (59-57) @ Los Angeles Dodgers (77-41). 08/10/19

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
You and I are too old school. We came up in an age where you hit it where the pitcher throws it. Now doesn't matter where it is pitched...trying to pull it out of the the park. This is why the shift exists. Everyone is trying to pull it.

It doesn't matter what is coached or expected...pull it and try to drive it out of the park. Baseball had changed.

But as innovative as Torey is trying to be with his quadruple switches (which reduces team chemistry),
imagine if he and the coaching staff convinced the players to "take what they give us" if a rally is needed
or if a player is trying to break a slump.

I would think the players have motivation to make the playoffs.

Look at your James Dean quote. To make a baseball adjustment . . .

Dream like you'll hit 50 home runs. Live like were going to lose today. :)

Or maybe it like when Jamie shouted at his dad (Jim Backus) in "Rebel...",
"You're not listening to me!" Maybe Torey should try it.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Maybe Ketel Marte, who got two of our four hits today, and is among the leading hitters in the league, should, in addition
to starting at 2B or CF or SS, be named our Hitting Coach. :sarcasm: I hate sarcasm, but it fits.

And maybe Escobar wouldn't be in a horrific slump if he weren't being shuffled from position to position and back again.

And maybe Lamb (who has been back for quite awhile) wouldn't be hitting .223 if he weren't shuffled. If he is not worthy
of one position, whether due to lack of hitting or bad fielding, trade him.

Damn! It reminds me of the circus where you see thirty clowns getting out of a Volkswagen. You know they're just
circling around to go back in the other side (or maybe not).

The numbers don't lie. Our first 4 hitters left all of the runners on base and two of them were victims of Torey's circle jerk. :confused:

It is not working! No offense should be as hot and cold as ours from game to game.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Broseph

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Maybe Ketel Marte, who got two of our four hits today, and is among the leading hitters in the league, should, in addition
to starting at 2B or CF or SS, be named our Hitting Coach. :sarcasm: I hate sarcasm, but it fits.

And maybe Escobar wouldn't be in a horrific slump if he weren't being shuffled from position to position and back again.

And maybe Lamb (who has been back for quite awhile) wouldn't be hitting .223 if he weren't shuffled. If he is not worthy

Damn! It reminds me of the circus where you see thirty clowns getting out of a Volkswagen. You know they're just

The numbers don't lie. Our first 4 hitters left all of the runners on base and two of them were victims of Torey's circle jerk. :confused:

It is not working! No offense should be as hot and cold as ours from game to game.

Lamb just stinks, he’s injury prone, and even before his injuries he was slumping terribly. Now he’s “healthy” and still bats in the .220s..

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score

The Dodgers have great starting pitching and a payroll to die for. Maybe they are just better than us at this time. This manager you constantly bash has kept us in the hunt. I don’t pretend to know what goes on behind the scenes, apparently you do. I am not a negative person and pride myself on seeing both sides. Bash all you want but we are doing well with what we have. The Doyers have not won a WS since 88, but that could change this year.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
The Dodgers have great starting pitching and a payroll to die for. Maybe they are just better than us at this time. This manager you constantly bash has kept us in the hunt. I don’t pretend to know what goes on behind the scenes, apparently you do. I am not a negative person and pride myself on seeing both sides. Bash all you want but we are doing well with what we have. The Doyers have not won a WS since 88, but that could change this year.

"...I don’t pretend to know what goes on behind the scenes, apparently you do..."

C'mon, that's not necessary. I know what I see as a fan and the results. So do you!

Is it wrong to react as a fan? Especially to managerial gimmicks that produce only
continued mediocrity -- no progress. Is that 'bashing'?

For the record, I have not bashed the Manager. I have bashed the illogical moves
he's made. Why the attempted censorship?

This is not about the Dodgers series. It is about the D-backs season. Good enough
to win a steady half of their games. But no advancement to additional wins to move
above .500 and into playoff position. What fan would not root for progress?

And I'll ask as I've asked before . . . isn't that what this board is for?

I posted when the Suns used the gimmick of three lead Point Guards, then no
lead Point Guard and no Power Forward. And they have finally abandoned both
ridiculous moves. There are finally hopes for improvement.

Likewise, for example, moving Escobar from position to position during a game,
especially while he is fighting a severe slump. A manager is supposed to make
it simpler for his people to excel.

I can imagine Torey playing chess. Moving his pieces back and forth and back
and forth, while not employing strategy to be a winner. Think about it.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I believe Torey has pulled more wins from this team than some (you included at 68 wins predicted) thought. You hate Torey. I get it. Let’s just agree to disagree and move on.
No, I do not "hate" Torey. I don't respect his managerial style.

How many times have I posted, "Attack problems, not people."?

AZ Native

Reaction score
No, I do not "hate" Torey. I don't respect his managerial style.

How many times have I posted, "Attack problems, not people."?
The way I see it is he can make 10 decisions that work out fine but people jump on the bad decision(s), and he has made some, and disregard the good decisions. You used to point out both, but no more. I don’t have the knowledge of talking to Hazen and the players that he does. You predicted 68 wins, we will exceed that. I give credit to Torey for keeping us in the race after all the players we have lost. He’s not perfect but his managerial style has kept us in the race.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
On the 3 game series the Dbacks led exactly 1 inning. They didn't score a single run off a Dodgers starting pitcher. They had only 4 extra base hits.

AZ Native

Reaction score
On the 3 game series the Dbacks led exactly 1 inning. They didn't score a single run off a Dodgers starting pitcher. They had only 4 extra base hits.
Yeah, the Doyers are better and have a lot more money to spend. Surprise, surprise.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Yeah, the Doyers are better and have a lot more money to spend. Surprise, surprise.

That is a generalization that doesn't fit our D-backs not scoring a single run vs. the Dodgers starting pitchers during the series.

It is more like a Major League team playing a AA team. There is an in-between. Right now as I post, even the Rockies are dominating us.

Why would a D-backs fan support incompetence and turn against fans who want to see better? I wouldn't even expect that from D-backs management.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
And they can buy players without giving up their prospects.

They draft really well; Seager, Bellinger, Buehler, Verdugo, Pederson, Stripling

They don’t drastically overpay; Greinke, Machado, Darvish

They make under-the-radar signings/trades that turn into all stars; Muncy, Turner, Ryu, Wood, Grandal

The Dodgers have been trash with huge payrolls before. As soon as they stole Friedman away from Tampa I knew they’d be trouble.

AZ Native

Reaction score
They draft really well; Seager, Bellinger, Buehler, Verdugo, Pederson, Stripling

They don’t drastically overpay; Greinke, Machado, Darvish

They make under-the-radar signings/trades that turn into all stars; Muncy, Turner, Ryu, Wood, Grandal

The Dodgers have been trash with huge payrolls before. As soon as they stole Friedman away from Tampa I knew they’d be trouble.
But they are still paying 7 players more than 17 mil each while keeping their homegrown prospects, We have no one making 8 mil a year. The Doyers would suck with a salary cap.

Last edited:

AZ Native

Reaction score
That is a generalization that doesn't fit our D-backs not scoring a single run vs. the Dodgers starting pitchers during the series.

It is more like a Major League team playing a AA team. There is an in-between. Right now as I post, even the Rockies are dominating us.

Why would a D-backs fan support incompetence and turn against fans who want to see better? I wouldn't even expect that from D-backs management.
It is not a generalization, the Doyers are better. The Doyer's starting rotation is the best in baseball. We do not even have an ace. It is 5-3 in Colorado. The season is over. Got it.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
But they are still paying 7 players more than 17 mil each while keeping their homegrown prospects, We have no one making 8 mil a year. The Doyers would suck with a salary cap.

Only 3 of their top-15 players in WAR this season make over 5m (Kershaw, Ryu and Turner). They’re really smart and don’t make many mistakes.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Only 3 of their top-15 players in WAR this season make over 5m (Kershaw, Ryu and Turner). They’re really smart and don’t make many mistakes.

Can you outline the "mistakes" Hazen and Torey have made?? Not saying they're perfect... not even the Dodgers are perfect. But when you keep pointing out how "smart" the Dodgers are, it appears you are saying the Dbacks aren't.

AZ Native

Reaction score
So they are overpaying players who not produce?

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Can you outline the "mistakes" Hazen and Torey have made?? Not saying they're perfect... not even the Dodgers are perfect. But when you keep pointing out how "smart" the Dodgers are, it appears you are saying the Dbacks aren't.

Idk how you came to that conclusion considering a.) I never made such a claim and b.) I’m probably the biggest HAzen supporter here.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Idk how you came to that conclusion considering a.) I never made such a claim and b.) I’m probably the biggest HAzen supporter here.

Sorry if I mis-read your posts. But, if the context here was comparing the Dbacks and Dodgers, and your contention is that the Dodgers don't make mistakes - why then point that out if Hazen & Co have proven to be equally shrewd, albeit with a crapload less money?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson