Game #116-Arizona Diamondbacks (58-57) @ Los Angeles Dodgers (77-40). 08/09/19

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Fell asleep and when I woke up, saw the Diamondbacks had won. So nice we don't have to see Holland pitch anymore. Saw the replay with AJ, they made the right call on the review because it was not conclusive.

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Fell asleep and when I woke up, saw the Diamondbacks had won. So nice we don't have to see Holland pitch anymore. Saw the replay with AJ, they made the right call on the review because it was not conclusive.

So is Holland gone to? I know Godly is gone, but didnt hear about Holland?

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why is he not starting everyday? All other C's on the roster should be glued to the bench.

No catcher in major league baseball starts every day Most start about 65% of the time

Arizona is blessed to have two decent catchers

Avila is better than some starting catchers and one of top backup catchers in MLB

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I think you mean AJ pointed to a spot. I don’t see the ball bouncing up that way off his hand. I did not see it that way on the dozen replays either. It like it clearly hit the knob of the bat. I did not see a red spot on AJ’s hand. He was begging. JMHO
Yes, I mean AJ. I thought I saw a red mark to where he was pointing.

Maybe he scraped a spot with his fingernail. :)

But the replay did show the the ball hit the knob of the bat.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
No catcher in major league baseball starts every day Most start about 65% of the time

Arizona is blessed to have two decent catchers

Avila is better than some starting catchers and one of top backup catchers in MLB
I don't think Molina in his prime was playing less than 75% of a season barring injury. Kelly is just 24 years old so it not like he's about to break, he's only played in 80 games so far this season.

Are we talking about the same Avila who last year most of us were calling for an end to his time in ARZ and is hitting .234 on the year?

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I don't think Molina in his prime was playing less than 75% of a season barring injury. Kelly is just 24 years old so it not like he's about to break, he's only played in 80 games so far this season.

Are we talking about the same Avila who last year most of us were calling for an end to his time in ARZ and is hitting .234 on the year?

Avila, at best, is a backup, but is still being used as too much of a regular starting catcher rotation player.

He looks like a hitter at the plate. It is tempting. But despite being given many, many chances, he has not delivered.

His biggest contribution is that he draws a lot of walks hitting ahead of the pitcher. That does not help the team.

In the same situation, Kelly gets hits . . . and clutch hits. He drove in the only runs in our win vs. the Dodgers.

Avila should be used for day games following night games. And starting no more than once every five games. Especially
if one certain pitcher requests him. Even then, not if we are facing a lefty pitcher. Actually, with Greinke gone, no D-back
starting pitcher has earned the right to name his personal catcher.

Lovullo needs to show some intelligence in sizing up situations. But therein lies the problem. He sets plans far in advance
based on favorites and is inflexible. He's a nice guy. Too nice. And is responsible for losing as many games as we win, with
no improvement as the season winds down.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score

His career average is about 80% His first four full years was below 75%, then in the low 80's, now back at 75% and lower.

Expect Kelly to get about 125-135 games next year if healthy.

Only ONE catcher this year has enough bats to qualify for batting title (Realmuto), and just barely.

Avila among catchers is 8th in OPS, 15th in SLG, 31st in RBI, 24th in HR (all in 40 games).

So yes, one of the better back-up catchers in the league.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson