Darius Philon Arrested for Aggravated Assault

Scott MS

Registered
Reaction score
1. Gets arrested and brings negative attention the Cards
2. Already paid $4M signing bonus - salary is fully guaranteed.
3. Counts $3M against the cap which Cards cannot recover.
4. Creates $2M in dead money in 2020.

This is more than just cutting some dude with legal issues and finding a replacement. He's consuming cap space that can't be recovered. And, I agree with prior posts that the front office has to be somewhat accountable -- maybe for simply guaranteeing him so much money and signing a guy to a $1M base salary contract with a $4M bonus.

The Kraken

Veteran
Reaction score
This is all on the player. You cannot babysit these “men” who make ******** decisions.
Exactly...

This guy was a great signing on paper, young starter 5 tech DE whose previous team shifted to a 4-3 and was an odd man out. Kept his nose clean in SD and LA.

As much venom as there is for SK, SK wasn't at the club (that we are aware of LOL) with him...100% on DP, it sucks we have to absorb the financial implications of his bad behavior.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Our dead money is now roughly $34 million. That’s insanely bad roster management
Keim's not on the hook for every individual poor decision by a guy off the field, but when we have to cut two guys on account of major legal issues, and the guy decided to drive drunk on 4th of July himself, it's time to start calling out judgement of character here.

Our dead money is the equivalent of a top-level starter's signing bonus. That could be CJ Moseley or something. Instead? Rodney Gunter and a 3rd round draft pick are going to have to take every start.

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
Keim's not on the hook for every individual poor decision by a guy off the field, but when we have to cut two guys on account of major legal issues, and the guy decided to drive drunk on 4th of July himself, it's time to start calling out judgement of character here.

Our dead money is the equivalent of a top-level starter's signing bonus. That could be CJ Moseley or something. Instead? Rodney Gunter and a 3rd round draft pick are going to have to take every start.
This

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This is all on the player. You cannot babysit these “men” who make ******** decisions.

Yes Philon made bad decisions and is now out of work...at least temporarily. Front offices cannot babysit all the time but let's not act like Keim knew nothing and is clean.

He almost certainly knew Philon likes the strip clubs. That would have been common knowledge. It is also an easy assumption Pgilon owns a gun or guns. There was a study 5+ years ago that showed 75%-80% NFL players own guns.

I am also guessing Philon had some minor scraps with the law that were washed away and you would be surprised how even the incidents that never amount to charges are still out there in the background checks front offices perform. Guys are squeaky clean then are suddenly pulling guns on strippers.

Keim had made yet another bad move and all those bad decisions plus his DUI and he still has a job. Sounds hypocritical.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Keim getting blamed for not knowing a grown man was going to pull a gun at 2 strippers.

Alright.
Keim getting blamed for a series of poor character decisions, and a bunch of wasted money.

If I cost my company $34 million in poor hires I had to let go and then hired a guy who pulled a gun on strippers in his first month, I would lose my job.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Keim getting blamed for a series of poor character decisions, and a bunch of wasted money.

If I cost my company $34 million in poor hires I had to let go and then hired a guy who pulled a gun on strippers in his first month, I would lose my job.
Read the post that’s directly above me.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score

Does your company make as much money as the NFL and their respective franchises, is the loss of millions something which is not uncommon in your line of business in relation to the nature of the company which has disposable millions and the occupation of the employees to dismantle someone physically as part of a job description? Agree on Keim's track record on some picks but your analogy is a poor example putting him in your shoes unless your line of work coincides with pro football. We are in a rebuild mode and loss of money is usually reflected anyways in a massive rebuild were there is no guarantee template

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So now our o-line could quite possibly only be the second worst line on the team. This is really not good. This team may very well be exciting to watch (and I’m very excited) but we won’t be very good.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Liens biggest mistake was believing this team was going to compete LAST year when he signed Bradford.i don’t blame him for drafting Rosen. It made sense at the time. But what could we do with the 20 m dead cap money right now?

On the other hand I think if we all take a deep breath all we can hope for this year is to be competitive and entertaining. Next year we will have 100 million in cap space and another draft. Next year is when we should be a tesm to be reckoned with.

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Cardinals did what they had to do by moving on from this fellow.

What is amusing is people using Darius Philon's as an excuse to come down on their expectations. I mean..

Syracusecards

DA's pass went that way
Reaction score
Thats a sketchy story...lures two strippers to his car just so he can point a gun at them? Come on man...
This has gold digging hoe written all over it.
I am betting that there is video of the whole thing. He wouldn’t of been arrested without evidence.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

If you lost $34 million you would have never been given the chance at hiring Philon.....

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Who is ready for A-Dub as GM in 2020? I am not but hey you know there is a decent chance of this happening!

speedy

the medic
Reaction score
I am betting that there is video of the whole thing. He wouldn’t of been arrested without evidence.

I can tell you with 100% certainty you are wrong about that.

I was arrested based on an allegation, and then had words put in my mouth (it was articulated in the report I admitted to committing a crime). I brought the situation before the department leadership and then later POST, and they chalked the behavior up as “discretion.”

I’m telling you, someone can say “Speedy touched my ass at the ABC club on Saturday night; he was wearing a blue shirt with khaki pants.”

The cops can ask me, “were you at ABC Friday night? Were you wearing a blue shirt with khaki pants? Did you touch Janes butt?” I can answer “yes, yes, and absolutely effin not,” and they can arrest me on a “preponderance of evidence: I admitted to being at ABC and I was wearing the clothes they alleged, so it’s “reasonable” to believe the allegation of ass touching had merit.

I’m not making this up- it happens on the regular. I know a few professional LEO’s that wouldn’t make an arrest like that, but there are many that would. Any accusation involving Guns, violence against women, and threats of terrorism, are all hot button topics.

It’s WAY easy to arrest someone, especially with these trendy accusations.

Dayman

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Philon is the 3rd Cardinal to be released due to legal troubles in the past month. And our best defensive player was suspended for 6 games in May for failing a drug test and attempting to cover it up. That is not a normal 3 months for an NFL team. And it's just a fraction of the nightmare we have witnessed over the past year.

Even for the Cardinals, this all feels entirely too dysfunctional. Especially when we potentially have a young, legit star at QB. We need to provide him with talent and stability in order for him to reach his potential. Not knuckleheads and dead cap space.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
G-PA