Is Corey Peters sufficient...

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
to anchor our 3-4, I know as a DL he is solid but I do not feel he's what we need in our interior as a NT from what I have seen recently

OP
OP
Jetstream Green

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
He needs better support but a solid option could keep him rested.

I remember when we first switched to a 3-4 and there was much debate on getting an adequate guy in there to not only occupy the space but move the pocket... I like Gunter but again I think neither of them fit the bill in the middle for a 3-4 ranked as a top ten defense

Last edited:
Reactions: PJ1

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
Corey Peters is a nice run stuffer but is and never was any kind of a pass rusher capable of collapsing the middle as his 14.5 career sacks indicate over 8 years. McClain is a career journeyman. Five teams in 7 years. Rodney Gunter may have had a career year for him last season. Zach Allen is a rookie. Michael Dogbe is a 7th round pick. How many 7th round picks ever become much of anything? The rest (Miles Brown and Sterling Bailey) are undrafted rookies. So we have three guys with NFL experience and the others are a 3rd round pick and a 7th round pick and two undrafted rookies. This group as a whole is mired in the bottom of the NFL with regards to Dlines.

The Kraken

Veteran
Reaction score
I will say this, and it is completely tempered with the vast amount of backups in the game on both sides, but on two occasions Dogbe got up field in a hurry and with felonious intent.

Towards the end, we are in nickel a lot and bringing 4 he was the one double teamed...He might be raw, but he could really develop into a solid rotation guy.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Corey Peters is a nice run stuffer but is and never was any kind of a pass rusher capable of collapsing the middle as his 14.5 career sacks indicate over 8 years. McClain is a career journeyman. Five teams in 7 years. Rodney Gunter may have had a career year for him last season. Zach Allen is a rookie. Michael Dogbe is a 7th round pick. How many 7th round picks ever become much of anything? The rest (Miles Brown and Sterling Bailey) are undrafted rookies. So we have three guys with NFL experience and the others are a 3rd round pick and a 7th round pick and two undrafted rookies. This group as a whole is mired in the bottom of the NFL with regards to Dlines.
We are likely the worst defensive line in the NFL.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
And the Oline?

Has to be close to worst also
I don't know another team besides the Dolphins that you could say have it worse on the OL. We have two injured starters, one coming off a major knee injury, and JR Sweezy is the only guy to have ever gone to a Pro Bowl. Once. It's very weak.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Bottom 5 D-Line
Bottom 5 O-Line

For a game that is primarily won in the trenches....... That's a hard pill to swallow.

Rohinaz

All Star
Reaction score
There are some good veterans out there. Muhammed Wilkerson, bennie Logan and Rickey Jean Francois could all add a veteran presence. I think we should sing one of them

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ideally you'd want 6 stud front 3 guys (3 starters and 3 for depth)

We could probably try to get by with 4 DLs (three starters and a 4th guy in rotation) but we'd be playing with fire.

Hopefully a few surplus guys will fall to us on the waiver wire, but as of right now, we're vulnerable on the front 3.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I definitely trust in Kugler's coaching ability & have more concerns right now with the DL than the OL. K1 will make any OL better. I do see Keim using the waiver wire to bolster both lines, but injuries or lack there of, will ultimately determine our season. I think OL coaching goes a long way in the NFL. Conversely, the great D-Lines need legit talent. I like Allen, and think he can be a very good player for us. I do like Corey Peters, but I'm not sure he can bolster the middle of that D in a 3-4. Even in a preseason game, our front line last week got manhandled. Oakland's OL is huge, so I'm curious to see how we do up front. As the old lady in the old Wendy's commercials would say; "where's the beef".

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I remember when we first switched to a 3-4 and there was much debate on getting an adequate guy in there to not only occupy the space but move the pocket... I like Gunter but again I think neither of them fit the bill in the middle for a 3-4 ranked as a top ten defense

We had a top 10 (3-4) Defence with Peters in the middle. That said: we need a #2 and given that Gunter is a starting "D" end, someone else has to step up.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I definitely trust in Kugler's coaching ability & have more concerns right now with the DL than the OL. K1 will make any OL better. I do see Keim using the waiver wire to bolster both lines, but injuries or lack there of, will ultimately determine our season. I think OL coaching goes a long way in the NFL. Conversely, the great D-Lines need legit talent. I like Allen, and think he can be a very good player for us. I do like Corey Peters, but I'm not sure he can bolster the middle of that D in a 3-4. Even in a preseason game, our front line last week got manhandled. Oakland's OL is huge, so I'm curious to see how we do up front. As the old lady in the old Wendy's commercials would say; "where's the beef".

The problem last week had more to do with LB inability to fill holes than manhandling of our "D" line; they were getting penetration.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The problem last week had more to do with LB inability to fill holes than manhandling of our "D" line; they were getting penetration.

I agree that the LB play was poor, but I'm not sure I saw any penetration from the DL on running plays. They may have held their own, but I didn't see any Cardinal linemen in the Chargers backfield disrupting anything. The Charger RB's had a 3 yard down hill advantage before getting to the LOS. That made it even more difficult for our LB's to make tackles.

Lagerfilled

Professional Tailgater
Reaction score
I agree that the LB play was poor, but I'm not sure I saw any penetration from the DL on running plays. They may have held their own, but I didn't see any Cardinal linemen in the Chargers backfield disrupting anything. The Charger RB's had a 3 yard down hill advantage before getting to the LOS. That made it even more difficult for our LB's to make tackles.

Not being argumentative, but go back and watch the first series. Super undisciplined with everyone trying to get into the backfield for a splash play. They need to simply stay at home and anchor. Hopefully Vance is not going to try creating havoc on first down when the games matter.

Timm Rosenbach

Bye Bye DJ
Reaction score
Not being argumentative, but go back and watch the first series. Super undisciplined with everyone trying to get into the backfield for a splash play. They need to simply stay at home and anchor. Hopefully Vance is not going to try creating havoc on first down when the games matter.

For one year. A top position of need going into next offseason

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hate to agree with you on this. Hicks was filling the wrong gap more than once and I questioned all this praise about
Gardack. He was chasing and tackling guys 5 yards downfield.

Looks like another high risk blitzing defense as things look right now.