What I Saw

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
You had to be impressed with Murray. His accuracy was excellent and he throw another nice ball to catch. Do keep in mind that all throws went to the outside meaning his height wasn’t an issue for a clear throwing lane. He also threw occasionally flat footed which didn’t end up costing him but on out routes that could lead to interceptions by top corners. He needs to put everything into those throws. The main thing I saw was Murray’s poise. Most rookies get their adrenaline flowing and throw a few high. Rosen did that. Murray was truly composed. It’s early but that’s a big plus if he can do that when games count.

On the play Murray got sacked Edmonds just stood there like a statue instead of picking up the rusher. He came in absurdly quickly, but Edmonds better stay more alert if they’re going to keep Murray on the field. Both tackles showed poor lateral movement.

I’d Sheffield surprised you he shouldn’t have. You can see a couple of months ago when asked on the board which 7 receivers would make the team, he was on my list. Poor coaching held him back last year but he’s a solid 3rd down option. Of he makes special team contributions which this team desperately needs.

Don’t get too upset Johnson disqualified himself before catching a pass; typical rookie mistake.

Lee can really punt. What an asset.

Gardeck is better played close to the line. He doesn’t seem to benefit coming downhill. Perhaps he’ll improve when he diagnoses plays better.

The Cardinal announcers shouldn’t talk over the officials; huge egos.

On the 4 penalty return they also could have also called the Charges for holding Logan. They ran out of things to take off and throw on the ground.

I thought Hundley looked good at the backup spot. I had endorsed that signing. He’s the right guy for the system. He won’t wow you but he’s solid.

Gaillard looked good at center. He missed one block I thought but overall looked functional.

Butler’s problem is concentration. His hands are fine but he has to focus better. He had this problem in college.

Cunningham convinced me the Cards need to add a better backup tackle. The starters will miss games.

Logan looked good but the Cards could use better RB depth. Lots of talent out there. He looked tentative post-injury l last year but not last night.

The D-Line worries me. The need better anchors. They got pushed around too often. Some of the depth guys flashed a little.

This team is not likely a playoff contender but could be quite a bit of fun to watch.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Harry, it’s been reported on the sack there was some miscommunication but it doesn’t means Edmonds should stop.

Also, Wes Hills impressed me. He seems to run angry which is one thing the other backs don’t do . What’s your opinion?

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Cunningham convinced me the Cards need to add a better backup tackle. The starters will miss games.

I didn't get to watch the game...surprised/disappointed in this one.

Was he playing LT or RT?

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Harry, it’s been reported on the sack there was some miscommunication but it doesn’t means Edmonds should stop.

Also, Wes Hills impressed me. He seems to run angry which is one thing the other backs don’t do . What’s your opinion?
He attempted to block on the play, but let's be real Edmonds is not blocking a DE solo.

Paso Fino

Veteran
Reaction score
I thought the announcers were wrong on both calls. It looked to me that on the first play the runner's knee was down before he fumbled. Apparently New York saw it different. On the other call, I thought the pass catcher only got one foot in unless you also count his knee being down on the same side as the foot. The Chargers snapped the ball very fast so maybe they had a concern.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

What impressed me about Hills was his low center of gravity as he attempted to churn out additional yards after contact

Reactions: PJ1

gimpy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Per John Madden, one knee equals two feet. :D and, I thought that the refs make the calls on the sideline and not New York. Could be wrong, though.

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

Reaction score

Unless he flashes on special teams he won’t make it. In these preseason games you have to keep in mind the quality of competition. He’s breaking tackles of guys who won’t play on Sunday. He’s a little slow. He did have a nice run in the Senior Bowl. He had decent numbers in college but again against weak competition. He certainly plays all in, but sadly that’s rarely enough.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Unless he flashes on special teams he won’t make it. In these preseason games you have to keep in mind the quality of competition. He’s breaking tackles of guys who won’t play on Sunday. He’s a little slow. He did have a nice run in the Senior Bowl. He had decent numbers in college but again against weak competition. He certainly plays all in, but sadly that’s rarely enough.
Thanks Harry.

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This team is not likely a playoff contender but could be quite a bit of fun to watch.
Reminds me of the '97 team that drafted Plummer in the 2nd round. Once Jake was given the reigns, the team lost games but were in them. The next season we were in the playoffs for the first time in 16 years. The '97 team lost by more than 14 points 4 times and lost games by less than a TD 6 times. Even in the games they lost by 14 or more they were in until late with the exception of the Oilers game where they were steamrolled. Finished 4-12. I see a lot of similarities with this team.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
His accuracy was excellent and he throw another nice ball to catch. Do keep in mind that all throws went to the outside meaning his height wasn’t an issue for a clear throwing lane.

The D-Line worries me. The need better anchors. They got pushed around too often. Some of the depth guys flashed a little.

Ryan Clark made same observation / comment about Murray's performance, mentioned could be an issue when defenses take away the outside options and force him to throw to middle of field.

A lot of people for reasons I can not understand are drinking the Cunningham kool-aid.

Defense looked bad and deserve criticism they are getting but I wonder how much of their poor performance is they aren't going full throttle in order to avoid a preseason injury (Suggs in particular).

GoldGloveschmidt

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
The tackles didn't show poor lateral movement on the sack - they got blown by while they were still in their stance because Shipley snapped the ball on the wrong count. Kyler even bobbled it because he wasn't expecting the ball.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
You had to be impressed with Murray. His accuracy was excellent and he throw another nice ball to catch. Do keep in mind that all throws went to the outside meaning his height wasn’t an issue for a clear throwing lane. He also threw occasionally flat footed which didn’t end up costing him but on out routes that could lead to interceptions by top corners. He needs to put everything into those throws. The main thing I saw was Murray’s poise. Most rookies get their adrenaline flowing and throw a few high. Rosen did that. Murray was truly composed. It’s early but that’s a big plus if he can do that when games count.

On the play Murray got sacked Edmonds just stood there like a statue instead of picking up the rusher. He came in absurdly quickly, but Edmonds better stay more alert if they’re going to keep Murray on the field. Both tackles showed poor lateral movement.

I’d Sheffield surprised you he shouldn’t have. You can see a couple of months ago when asked on the board which 7 receivers would make the team, he was on my list. Poor coaching held him back last year but he’s a solid 3rd down option. Of he makes special team contributions which this team desperately needs.

Don’t get too upset Johnson disqualified himself before catching a pass; typical rookie mistake.

Gardeck is better played close to the line. He doesn’t seem to benefit coming downhill. Perhaps he’ll improve when he diagnoses plays better.

On the 4 penalty return they also could have also called the Charges for holding Logan. They ran out of things to take off and throw on the ground.

I thought Hundley looked good at the backup spot. I had endorsed that signing. He’s the right guy for the system. He won’t wow you but he’s solid.

Gaillard looked good at center. He missed one block I thought but overall looked functional.

Butler’s problem is concentration. His hands are fine but he has to focus better. He had this problem in college.

Logan looked good but the Cards could use better RB depth. Lots of talent out there. He looked tentative post-injury l last year but not last night.

Comments on yours:
I listened to it on the radio from work (watched it when i got home) the radio guys said it was a bad snap on the Murray sack.

I'm still mad at Sherfield for dropping that long reception last season at Seattle lol, that catch being made would've given us another victory at their sissy field, he will be big for us this season.

Hopefully SK signs some veterans for the OL after training camp cuts? Not worried about their age as much as I am their injury history.

Seems to me the DL gets too wide from one another creating huge running lanes. Dolphins fans claim VJ hasn't a clue about stopping the run. The stats while he was there as DC back that up, however, his DB's had a lot of int's so that at least helps me feel better about the run defense, sort of. Give up some yds but create turnovers, I'd rather stop the run & create turnovers but I'm being selfish with that lol.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Comments on yours:
I listened to it on the radio from work (watched it when i got home) the radio guys said it was a bad snap on the Murray sack.

I'm still mad at Sherfield for dropping that long reception last season at Seattle lol, that catch being made would've given us another victory at their sissy field, he will be big for us this season.

Hopefully SK signs some veterans for the OL after training camp cuts? Not worried about their age as much as I am their injury history.

Seems to me the DL gets too wide from one another creating huge running lanes. Dolphins fans claim VJ hasn't a clue about stopping the run. The stats while he was there as DC back that up, however, his DB's had a lot of int's so that at least helps me feel better about the run defense, sort of. Give up some yds but create turnovers, I'd rather stop the run & create turnovers but I'm being selfish with that lol.
Then we should be thanking Sherfield! If we win that game maybe we don’t get Kyler!

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Harry, I agree with your entire post. There might be two mitigating factors, one on Gardeck and one on Edmonds.

And I think the team agrees with you about Gardeck. He played a ton and led the team in tackles. Since last year, when he only played ST's, defense is new to him and the team is trying to get him as much experience as possible.

As for the sack, more than a few guys are saying that a wrong snap count might have been involved. And I understand that Edmonds should have been ready anyway, but it might have contributed to the no effort play by Chase. Just a guess.

wit3card

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Our D looked poor, I watched the game, and only the 3rd unit couldn't run on us at will. That is bad.

Because running the ball is exactly what stops your O to get on the field and what kills your D because they get out of gas. But we coulnd't stop the run last year, so hopefully this year it isn't that bad. But for now, I'm not sold on our DC.

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

Reaction score
On the tackles, I watched the tape again and it’s certainly possible the ball was snapped early. We’ve all seen bloopers of snapped balls bouncing off unaware QBs. That said while I wouldn’t expect the tackles to stand up rushers in that situation I would expect they could react quickly enough to at least chip the rushers laterally. They just moved too slowly. I thought the starters and Cunningham all looked vulnerable to wide speed rushers. As for Edmonds he had enough time but didn’t react IMO. These guys need to understand they’d be better taking a penalty than letting Murray take a hit. For his part Murray did react and hit the turf. Smart!

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
On the tackles, I watched the tape again and it’s certainly possible the ball was snapped early. We’ve all seen bloopers of snapped balls bouncing off unaware QBs. That said while I wouldn’t expect the tackles to stand up rushers in that situation I would expect they could react quickly enough to at least chip the rushers laterally. They just moved too slowly. I thought the starters and Cunningham all looked vulnerable to wide speed rushers. As for Edmonds he had enough time but didn’t react IMO. These guys need to understand they’d be better taking a penalty than letting Murray take a hit. For his part Murray did react and hit the turf. Smart!

So let me see if I get this right Harry, your saying unless there is substantial improvement at the tackle positions we may expect to see turnstiles at each end of the Oline.

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

Reaction score
So let me see if I get this right Harry, your saying unless there is substantial improvement at the tackle positions we may expect to see turnstiles at each end of the Oline.

I think it’s a significant issue. First the starters are highly injury prone. I think it’s wishful thinking to expect 16 games. Second if they play hurt their performance may well be compromised. Third the backups look like Cunningham & Cole. I’d say that’s a slight step down from past years and we all saw how that went last year. So will they be turnstiles? I don’t know if it’s that bad but I’m warning that this is shaping up as the major concern IMO. I guess I’m concerned that no veteran backups were signed. Certainly everybody is aware OL is a tough position to acquire but if you want to contend that’s a price you pay. If Murray is the real deal then protecting him is focus number one. He can’t always get the ball out quickly if you ever want to throw deep.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The personnel on this oline is not complete. Cap space is hurting us to do much right now. We will see a few players cut on this team and around the league that will surprise up. I think we sign a DL and a OL by the start of the season and maybe more after week 1.