O Line Scares the heck outta me

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
I think you're right as someone said I think either KM got the snap count wrong or the tackles did.
Yeah watching it again and both of the tackles were well behind the snap. Seemed like the only reason they moved was because the pass rushers were getting by them.

GoldGloveschmidt

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Keim said explicitly that the sack was not the tackles fault, it was a snap count issue. That's why the tackles didnt move and let the edge rushers blow by them. He wouldn't say who was to blame but it leaves only Shipley or Kyler.

My guess is the ball was supposed to be snapped on the second clap and Shipley snapped it on the first clap.

The whole clapping thing is weird and I don't see how it's going to work on the road with all that crowd noise.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
DJ isn't on the last year of his deal. He has two years left on his extension.

You don't trade for Trent Williams because he is on the wrong side of 30, hasn't played a full season in 5 years, and is going to cost you a boatload of money that could be used on young players or even 2-3 guys along the line.
I would rather give up a 3rd rounder for a guy who can be a top player for 13 games vs sitting and waiting for a guy who may play 13 games to be good.

An offensive line of...

Trent Williams
Marcus Gilbert
DJ Humphries
Korey Cunningham
Justin Pugh
JR Sweezy
AQ Shipley
Mason Cole
Lamont Gilliard

...is not terrible in terms of talent, depth, and versatility.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
Keim said explicitly that the sack was not the tackles fault, it was a snap count issue. That's why the tackles didnt move and let the edge rushers blow by them. He wouldn't say who was to blame but it leaves only Shipley or Kyler.

My guess is the ball was supposed to be snapped on the second clap and Shipley snapped it on the first clap.

The whole clapping thing is weird and I don't see how it's going to work on the road with all that crowd noise.

You see the clapping thing a lot in college.

CFLredzoned

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Kent Somers made a comment about the Red/White game, that it looked alot like it would when you have a new head coach and the personnel doesn't quite match what he wants to do. It seems like that would especially apply to the OL.

You run an uptempo offense and nothing but slow injured guys on the OL, except for a couple. K2 must be ripping his hair out.

gimpy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I'm not sure what you mean by up tempo. There were lots of times when the clock ran down to 1 or even no time showing on the play clock. I thought there might have should of been a penalty for delay.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I would rather give up a 3rd rounder for a guy who can be a top player for 13 games vs sitting and waiting for a guy who may play 13 games to be good.

An offensive line of...

Trent Williams
Marcus Gilbert
DJ Humphries
Korey Cunningham
Justin Pugh
JR Sweezy
AQ Shipley
Mason Cole
Lamont Gilliard

...is not terrible in terms of talent, depth, and versatility.
Cunningham isn't exactly lighting things up.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
That was the Chargers number 2 DEs
Bosa wasn’t even out there and the pressure K1 was getting was rediculous
And don’t get me started on the last play where they both almost got K1 killed
Good news was K1 was super smart and dove down
The o line will be the death of this team
They’re out of shape
They’re not talented enough
And they don’t show the heart that respects what K1 can do
Keim has some splainin’ to do
At some point Mike B, Keim and KK May have to decide to sit K1 before the o line gets him killed....I’m not joking. You don’t wrap a $1,000,000 crystal glass in a plastic bag and mail it and expect it to get there in one piece...it’d be bad but if the o line is as bad as we see them I don’t have an issue later on in the season just sitting K1 and just admitting the entire o line just isn’t enough right now to risk K1.
UR thoughts?
Hopefully KM is in shape lol? He will be scrambling a whole lot this season. He can throw on the run very well so we will see some highlight plays this season. I don't think the OL is quite as bad as you do but it isn't great by any means. Definitely better than last seasons imo. The starters only played one series, had they looked terrible the whole game then there would be more concern from me? I think they will improve as they play more together, question is, will they stay healthy? KM will not sit, Cardinals fans want to see him play so you don't need to worry about him sitting lol.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I'm still in the camp that this is a very bad team, and it starts on the lines, then the middle of the defense.

I think last night is what we're going to end up looking like all year.
I'm going with what we look like after game 1-3. Last night was all vanilla & the first preseason game. Imo, we will score 24-28 pts/game this season giving us a chance in most games, KK hasn't opened up the playbook yet. How well the defense plays & stops the run................That will more than likely decide our season right there. Injuries are a key factor for all teams so that shouldn't be why the team fails if they do?

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I'm going with what we look like after game 1-3. Last night was all vanilla & the first preseason game. Imo, we will score 24-28 pts/game this season giving us a chance in most games, KK hasn't opened up the playbook yet. How well the defense plays & stops the run................That will more than likely decide our season right there. Injuries are a key factor for all teams so that shouldn't be why the team fails if they do?

All possibly true, but if our D doesn't improve, our offense won't be on the field long enough to score 24-28 points. Because LA ran through us like we weren't there, the 1st quarter went by faster than I ever remember.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose