Kyler, RD. 1

OP
OP
Solar7

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
In this world my friend you would be labeled a pessimist. You can’t worry about the what ifs. What if he doesn’t get hurt? What if any qb injures his thumb on his throwing hand?
The what-ifs are all part of a bigger picture of things that concern me about the guy.

I can't believe I can make a thread praising the guy and get put on blast for an additional two pages for not praising him enough. You Kyler Crusaders are intense.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Kyler has thrown 519 in-game passes total in the past four years. That's literally only 129 a year. Ben Roethlisberger threw 600+ last year.

Pardon me if I don't think that's enough reps to count for Kyler to have it perfected.

But yes, Kyler is perfect, hasn't played a game yet, but he will overcome all adversity and never do anything wrong or struggle.

I'm very proud that I was the one to get you to see the light. :)

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He’s still a unicorn in a air red offense - he is small on the field - looks like nfcw defenses can palm him and dunk him with one hand. He has great skills short, quick movement but remains at the highest risk size in the highest risk offense in the current or history of the nfl - including Glanville and Coryell pass happy offenses- team is soft, tackling and blocking - fundamentals are weak- everybody blames new camp rules - but regardless other teams tackle and block better, are more fundementally sound.

We will need luck to keep KM on the field all 16 games any season - best chance is to run better and set up 3D play action stubbornly - but don’t really see that mindset, the chargers earned play action
You like play action huh? We have it on just about every play. The RPO is something the defense is going to have to respect that. If they don’t we’ll enjoy some nice runs. And if they do kyler will drive them crazy.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The what-ifs are all part of a bigger picture of things that concern me about the guy.

I can't believe I can make a thread praising the guy and get put on blast for an additional two pages for not praising him enough. You Kyler Crusaders are intense.
You praise comes with a warning. We all know the what ifs. He answered most questions last night. His poise, accuracy, and leadership was readily apparent. We ALL worry about injuries but we don’t tie it into his immediate status.

OP
OP
Solar7

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
You praise comes with a warning. We all know the what ifs. He answered most questions last night. His poise, accuracy, and leadership was readily apparent. We ALL worry about injuries but we don’t tie it into his immediate status.
Wow. If you think he answered most questions last night, how quickly did you sign off on Matt Leinart?

He hasn't even thrown a regular season pass yet. Chill.

The only reason we're having this argument is because someone claimed I was now "on his side," and I'm just trying to give some credit for a decent performance, but acting like we already have the second coming on our hands is just so incredibly naive.

Broseph

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Kyler was like a Lambo that you got to drive but only around the block doing the speed limit. You know the power is there but they were conservative last night and that is ok. He looked poised and confident, he's accurate, and he has big play potential with his legs and arms. We have our QBOTF boys, just wait ...

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One comment from last night that I think was clearly being vanilla and not showing our cards all at once(see what I did there). IN the drive there were at least 2 where Murray handed the ball off when he probably should have kept it. I think that's a combination of not wanting him to run and get hit in preseason, and not wanting to show the full playbook.

One thing I saw clearly with him at OU is he can read when to hand off and when to pull it back out and run with it or throw it.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow. If you think he answered most questions last night, how quickly did you sign off on Matt Leinart?

He hasn't even thrown a regular season pass yet. Chill.

The only reason we're having this argument is because someone claimed I was now "on his side," and I'm just trying to give some credit for a decent performance, but acting like we already have the second coming on our hands is just so incredibly naive.
I respect your conservative outlook. I have seen many quarterbacks come and go for this team. I have watched skittishness, overthrows, panic, deer in the headlights syndrome, forced and unforced mistakes. I’ve witnessed lack of field awareness, lack of leadership and lack of talent. To me kyler checked off all of the boxes above. I really don’t see him digressing. There is nothing I saw last night that I can say, ‘yes but’.

If the players around him do their job this kid is going to great. Perhaps my grading curve is just a lot less steeper than yours.

Edit. If you can’t see the difference in Leinart and Kyler then okay. Leinart has a whole lot of question marks from day one until he retired.

Last edited:

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anybody else get fooled on the WR screen to Fitz last night? I had no idea who had the ball. If that is vanilla man what is Rocky Road going to look like?

OP
OP
Solar7

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I respect your conservative outlook. I have seen many quarterbacks come and go for this team. I have watched skittishness, overthrows, panic, deer in the headlights syndrome, forced and unforced mistakes. I’ve witnessed lack of field awareness, lack of leadership and lack of talent. To me kyler checked off all of the boxes above. I really don’t see him digressing. There is nothing I saw last night that I can say, ‘yes but’.

If the players around him do their job this kid is going to great. Perhaps my grading curve is just a lot less steeper than yours.

Edit. If you can’t see the difference in Leinart and Kyler then okay. Leinart has a whole lot of question marks from day one until he retired.
Leinart came out and wowed everyone in just his second game, the infamous Monday Night Meltdown. It looked like we had a QBotF. Plus a pedigree of winning, performance (Heisman winner) and did it at the top of the nation.

That flash didn't last, which is exactly why I'm sitting here saying to pump the breaks on 7 attempts for 44 yards.

gimpy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Well, when you hire someone you look really hard at his track record. You also interview him, talk to him, check out his background, etc. I think that has been done. You then hire who you think is the best candidate. I think that has probably been done. I don't know who else they could have hired with better credentials. Or, you can disregard these things and go with your "gut" feelings. Which one is going to win the majority of the time?

You can what if him to death. But, that's all it is, a what if. Yeah, I'm concerned about his height, about his small hands, but, has that affected him in the past? Has he fumbled more than others, had passes knocked down or been intercepted exceptionally more, or been hurt?

He's played against the best all thru his past and has done quite well from what I have read. Why can't he succeed at this next level? He was the best in the other levels, so, you want to go with someone lesser than him, who has not been as successful?

Right now, your only complaints are, "yeah, but " or "what if's". And that points to anybody. :soapbox:

THESMEL

Smushdown! Take it like a fan!
Reaction score
You like play action huh? We have it on just about every play. The RPO is something the defense is going to have to respect that. If they don’t we’ll enjoy some nice runs. And if they do kyler will drive them crazy.

That’s the theory - but he better be able to handle the hits - he will avoid some contact, he has that natural and practiced ability - but return to my concerns- he is small and will get smushed severely in rpo scheme in the nfcw- in fact it will be opposing defenses priority and focus - hit him hard enough to make him stop - hell coach won’t let him take the high risk in preseason. Lack of respect for opposing defenses is my concern - they will respect our rpo - I did like hills earning some rushing respect in the bewitching hour - like to see him earlier - see if he can bubble some snot against the ones or twos

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is an important question that needs to be investigated.

People are drawing a lot of conclusions from a 10-play drive that averaged... 4.3 YPP and ended with a punt on the Cards 35 yard line. :rolleyes:
Considering the circumstances, it was a good showing. We didnt get far down field but we did flip field position after being on the 3 and the line doing a terrible job at protection. There should be zero conclusions drawn outside of he operated well under pressure.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
People are drawing a lot of conclusions from a 10-play drive that averaged... 4.3 YPP and ended with a punt on the Cards 35 yard line. :rolleyes:

Aside from what we have seen at Training camp it's all that we have to go off of for now.

You seem very unimpressed with Murray's performance. I'm curious what your take is on Murray after what we have seen from him so far from Training camp and last night.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Aside from what we have seen at Training camp it's all that we have to go off of for now.

You seem very unimpressed with Murray's performance. I'm curious what your take is on Murray after what we have seen from him so far from Training camp and last night.

I'm consciously reserving judgement on both sides until I can see a reliable sample size. From what I've seen in training camp, it looks like we drafted the guy with the physical skill set we saw at OU. I didn't doubt the physical skills we saw there.

I still need more information.

blindseyed

I'm saying you ARE stuck in Wichita
Reaction score
Barry Sanders was small and just collapsed when he knew he was going to get hit, Kyler did that last night on the sack which is what I was really impressed with, not sure if he would do that all time and we won't know everything until 3 or 4 games in but I'm warming up to this Kyler dude.....now the defense....ugh

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm consciously reserving judgement on both sides until I can see a reliable sample size.

I don't know. This kind of sounded like you were judging Murray as unimpressive in his first outing:

What were you hoping to see from Murray in his first outing on the field?

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

One of the postgame callers said that based on what he saw (on that one drive) he predicted a 9-win season. :eek:

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I don't know. This kind of sounded like you were judging Murray as unimpressive in his first outing:

What were you hoping to see from Murray in his first outing on the field?

:shrug: People are going to see what they want to see, I guess. I mean, those are the facts, right?

I was hoping to see more than one drive, TBH. That's not his fault. There isn't enough evidence to judge ANYTHING.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I feel like in a clip I saw VJ addressing the defense saying stopping the run is his top priority.
2 or 3 problems on run-defense need fixing. All 3 show up in man on man showdowns.

1. Lunging at the ballcarrier...and missing

2. Being pushed around by more physical opponents

3 Overrunning cutback plays

All three involve not squaring up to beat our man or stone the ball carrier

We're going to have to figure out whether we (1) need new linemen, (2) can make the ones we've got stronger or (3) whether we can make them better. And (4) whether there are better guys we can bring in from the outside or are already. on our roster waiting to be developed.

Finally, if our O-linemen are out of shape, are our coaches and trainers aware of that? Are they doing anything about it? How long should it take to whip those guys into shape?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson