Kyler, RD. 1

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I feel like in a clip I saw VJ addressing the defense saying stopping the run is his top priority.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kyler did everything he was supposed to and asked to do. If defenses want to give us 7 yard out passes I’ll gladly take them. Eventually the defense will be forced to stop those and then we will see much more.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I'm not too excited because this is what I expect from Murray.

You can say what you want but I'm confident that the Cardinals finally have their franchise QB. It's not about his abilities which are elite...I think the kid is so driven to be great and works so hard.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Kyler Murray's skill set is very impressive. His release is petty damn impressive (close to Dan Marino type release & velocity).

Murray looks very impressive, just looking at him and taking the rest out of the conversation he has all the skills to be sn NFL QB. If he has the ability to stay healthy and to tweak his game as the NFL gets film on him, he can be special.

Sent from my mystical communication warp drive device thingy

JosiahLee

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
K1 was everything that I expected. I watched enough of him last year at OU to not be surprised. My fear is that our OL will make it difficult for KK to fully implement his offense. Also, I've had concerns about VJ from day 1 & our DL may be worse than our OL. It's very early, so I'll give the D the benefit of the doubt. God help us if teams can run on us like the Chargers did last night. Otherwise, our offense won't be on the field long enough to make a difference.

As good as we looked in the preseason last year under Wilks, I would almost prefer the team to look like garbage during these games

I was convinced we were going to ball out after the preseason only to realize that by halftime of week 1 against the Redskins that the season was over.

JosiahLee

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
We're closing in on halftime, but the starters have done their thing.

The quick flash we got was neat. I feel excited about what he can be - and as someone who has been really concerned about him, he has done everything right to make me really rethink my perspective to this point. That's including media reports, interviews, and the entire gamut.

I'll say that I'm concerned about the team as a whole, but I really liked that drive, and I hope we don't get the guy killed. He has a very unpredictable suddenness.

(As I write this, Cards TD - well done Trent!)

You fought the good fight...Now welcome to the dark side. It’s more fun on this side :jedi:

OP
OP
Solar7

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
You fought the good fight...Now welcome to the dark side. It’s more fun on this side :jedi:
I'm not switching sides yet. I'm still worried about what things are going to look like for him when he starts to get hit every other down and has the wear and tear of a full NFL season. But I'm giving credit where credit is due in a very limited sample size.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Like every other QB ever?

Don't.

Some people just dont get it. Did you notice how Murray reacted to the sack? He went down WITHOUT taking a big hit. Palmer would've gotten nailed.

It's funny, but as big and strong as Palmer was, I worried every time he got hit.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought Kyler looked like a seasoned veteran out there.

Backed up on his own two yard line. 1st and 20. Illegal touching on a perfectly thrown pass. Nothing phased this kid. Last year in McCoy's offense 1st and 20 was a death sentence.

Plus add in his crazy quick release. His pin point accuracy. The zip on the ball. This kid is going to be FUN to watch!

So far So Good

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Don't.

Some people just dont get it. Did you notice how Murray reacted to the sack? He went down WITHOUT taking a big hit. Palmer would've gotten nailed.

It's funny, but as big and strong as Palmer was, I worried every time he got hit.
I still don't understand how so many people (analysts as well) continue to refer to his height as a reason to be worried about him getting injured as if they completely disregard that he has a sturdy build.

I understand worrying about running leading to injuries and taking a ton of big hits leading to injuries, but Murray being short doesn't necessarily have anything to do with his durability.

As long as Murray continues to be smart about taking hits (like he did in college) and isn't running and fighting for extra yards too much than I think he should be able to stay healthy.

As we have seen in the NFL. All different sizes of QBs can get injured and it tends to be tied to the type of mindset they play with. The guys that tend to get the ball out quickly and avoid hits tend to stay pretty healthy and the guys that are fighting for extra yards on runs and continuously being willing to take a big hit in the pocket to get a throw off are the ones constantly getting hurt.

OP
OP
Solar7

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Like every other QB ever?
When Kyler takes the ankle shot that Josh did last year, I am worried that it will hinder his mobility to a point where it takes away a good 50% of what makes him special. I don't know if he can stand back and succeed for an entire game where he won't have the speed to leave the pocket.

Or, how he's going to react when the team around him is so bad that by week 8 we're essentially out of the playoff race. What kind of leadership does he have when he's not counting losses on one hand anymore?

Again, this doesn't have to be love him or hate him. It's going to take more than one drive that resulted in zero points for me to stop being concerned.

OP
OP
Solar7

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I still don't understand how so many people (analysts as well) continue to refer to his height as a reason to be worried about him getting injured as if they completely disregard that he has a sturdy build.

I understand worrying about running leading to injuries and taking a ton of big hits leading to injuries, but Murray being short doesn't necessarily have anything to do with his durability.

As long as Murray continues to be smart about taking hits (like he did in college) and isn't running and fighting for extra yards too much than I think he should be able to stay healthy.

As we have seen in the NFL. All different sizes of QBs can get injured and it tends to be tied to the type of mindset they play with. The guys that tend to get the ball out quickly and avoid hits tend to stay pretty healthy and the guys that are fighting for extra yards on runs and continuously being willing to take a big hit in the pocket to get a throw off are the ones constantly getting hurt.
My concern with injury, said above, doesn't really have anything to do with height. It has to do with me getting worried he takes a hit while running and then can't run. That's when the height is a concern. If he can't get away from pressure, can he stand in the pocket at his height and win the game from there?

I just don't know. Maybe he can.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
My concern with injury, said above, doesn't really have anything to do with height. It has to do with me getting worried he takes a hit while running and then can't run. That's when the height is a concern. If he can't get away from pressure, can he stand in the pocket at his height and win the game from there?

I just don't know. Maybe he can.
I don't see why not. It has been mentioned many times that most QB's don't actually look over the top of their line, but through cracks of the O'line. Drew Brees for instance has had a great career from the pocket and he is not far from KM's height (5-6" shorter than pretty much all of his linemen.

Of course it would limit him though as it takes away his running threat and the Cards also probably won't provide enough protection for him to spend much time surveying the field.

OP
OP
Solar7

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I don't see why not. It has been mentioned many times that most QB's don't actually look over the top of their line, but through cracks of the O'line. Drew Brees for instance has had a great career from the pocket and he is not far from KM's height (5-6" shorter than pretty much all of his linemen.
Brees is two inches taller (maybe more) and has never had the athletic ability to move out of the pocket or move around like Kyler. There's no sudden stripping of an athletic talent he can so instinctually use.

Yes, throwing lanes and seams exist. I'm not saying that it's impossible for Kyler to succeed in that environment, just that I would bet on it being a major struggle. For every "Drew Brees/Russell Wilson can do it" argument, there's a Seneca Wallace or Case Keenum who couldn't.

THESMEL

Smushdown! Take it like a fan!
Reaction score
He’s still a unicorn in a air red offense - he is small on the field - looks like nfcw defenses can palm him and dunk him with one hand. He has great skills short, quick movement but remains at the highest risk size in the highest risk offense in the current or history of the nfl - including Glanville and Coryell pass happy offenses- team is soft, tackling and blocking - fundamentals are weak- everybody blames new camp rules - but regardless other teams tackle and block better, are more fundementally sound.

We will need luck to keep KM on the field all 16 games any season - best chance is to run better and set up 3D play action stubbornly - but don’t really see that mindset, the chargers earned play action

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Brees is two inches taller (maybe more) and has never had the athletic ability to move out of the pocket or move around like Kyler. There's no sudden stripping of an athletic talent he can so instinctually use.

Yes, throwing lanes and seams exist. I'm not saying that it's impossible for Kyler to succeed in that environment, just that I would bet on it being a major struggle. For every "Drew Brees/Russell Wilson can do it" argument, there's a Seneca Wallace or Case Keenum who couldn't.

So Kyler has been throwing through lanes and seams for years now but you REFUSE to see it. Losing his quickness would alter how he succeeds some but not keep him from being successful.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't.

The biggest difference is Murray recognized the play was going nowhere. instead of being reckless he simply took the loss.

Even on the scramble he recognized he had to get on his horse at move out. He is so aware of everything that is going on in the field.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When Kyler takes the ankle shot that Josh did last year, I am worried that it will hinder his mobility to a point where it takes away a good 50% of what makes him special. I don't know if he can stand back and succeed for an entire game where he won't have the speed to leave the pocket.

Or, how he's going to react when the team around him is so bad that by week 8 we're essentially out of the playoff race. What kind of leadership does he have when he's not counting losses on one hand anymore?

Again, this doesn't have to be love him or hate him. It's going to take more than one drive that resulted in zero points for me to stop being concerned.
In this world my friend you would be labeled a pessimist. You can’t worry about the what ifs. What if he doesn’t get hurt? What if any qb injures his thumb on his throwing hand?

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
In this world my friend you would be labeled a pessimist. You can’t worry about the what ifs. What if he doesn’t get hurt? What if any qb injures his thumb on his throwing hand?
Exactly. Does this mean he will always be on the fence until he sees Murray play with a leg injury?

OP
OP
Solar7

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
So Kyler has been throwing through lanes and seams for years now but you REFUSE to see it. Losing his quickness would alter how he succeeds some but not keep him from being successful.
Kyler has thrown 519 in-game passes total in the past four years. That's literally only 129 a year. Ben Roethlisberger threw 600+ last year.

Pardon me if I don't think that's enough reps to count for Kyler to have it perfected.

But yes, Kyler is perfect, hasn't played a game yet, but he will overcome all adversity and never do anything wrong or struggle.