Predict the 2019-2020 record

How many wins will the Suns end with?

• Total voters

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
I think that win projection is way low... although I do understand the pessimism given the Suns recent history. If Ayton make any kind of incremental improvement if his second season (which I fully expect), the Suns have a good chance to be every bit as good as or better than any of the non-playoff tier Western Conference teams - meaning Memphis, NO, Sacramento, Dallas, OKC, Minnesota.

I think 35 wins is well within reach this year, barring injury issues or some other total internal calamity.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How many wins does everyone think Monty will help the Suns get this year compared to Igor?

I'm curious what people think. Consider everything else is the same as far as the roster construction that's taken place this offseason just swapping Monty for Igor and then all of the assistants as well. How many wins do you think the Suns would get if they had Igor as their coach next season?

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
How many wins does everyone think Monty will help the Suns get this year compared to Igor?

I'm curious what people think. Consider everything else is the same as far as the roster construction that's taken place this offseason just swapping Monty for Igor and then all of the assistants as well. How many wins do you think the Suns would get if they had Igor as their coach next season?

I don't think Monty is a great Xs and Os coach, I don't know if Igor was a bad one, but I think the players will listen, respect and buy into what Monty tells them... and I don't think Igor ever got that far.

I don't know how to quantify it, but I suspect, between Monty and the influx of quality veterans, we will see a roughly 80% drop in stretches of play where the team doesn't look like they've got a clue where they're supposed to be.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Interesting question. We did lose some games with Igor as he was learning rotations, how to sub offense for defense, etc, leaving scorers on the bench too long, etc. As the season went on, he finally started getting better, especially the last month and a half or so. I do think his squad lost us some games. Now that he did learn better in game management, perhaps there won't be that big of a difference between Igor and Monty. With the number of NBA games as a head coach under his belt, Monty does have an advantage on the learning curve. I also think, Monty has the advantage on assistant coaches. If our big man coach performs, where last year it seemingly looked like Ayton stayed relatively not improving as the season progressed, that will give us wins just there!

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Went with 27 and I'm not the lowest! See..... Not totally gloomy!!! :)

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I went with 31-35. The Suns are vastly improved from last year. The Suns finally have a distributor who will improve the rest of the teams offensive efficiency. The team has more role players, which was the second biggest weakness of last years team.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I did 25-30 because I want to be pleasantly surprised.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I went 36-40 because it seems reasonable given our greatly improved roster. Despite the roster improvement though, it remains to be seen whether we are a greatly improved team.

Last edited:

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If we're relatively healthy and we don't push for 35 or more wins I will have some serious concerns about our core.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
I wonder how many wins you guys think the post all star roster (with Oubre and Tyler) would have won with a full season?

Along with the addition of Monty I would guess they end up with somewhere around 25-29 wins.

That would lead me to believe that upgrading from Bender to Saric/Kaminsky, adding Rubio to start at PG, adding a bruising big for the bench in Baynes and making sure Jackson isn't being a huge negative on the floor for us would make a significant difference on top of that win total.

I would guess that with all of the changes of this off season, mixed with last years trades, we will see somewhere north of 35 wins and I wouldn't be surprised if we win more than half our games and are competing for a playoff spot.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Heh, I saw that the 41-45 wins option had a vote and thought to myself "I wonder what tool voted for that option!?" Then I realized it was I who voted for it. :koolaid:

41-45 happens if all of the offseason moves workout to a degree. Rubio hits his shots, Saric plays well, Oubre shows the 40 games weren't an aberration, Ayton improves, other additions become contributing role players.

If Ayton makes a huge leap, this team could be a lot better.

The chances of all these things happening are slim.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
41-45 happens if all of the offseason moves workout to a degree. Rubio hits his shots, Saric plays well, Oubre shows the 40 games weren't an aberration, Ayton improves, other additions become contributing role players.

Yeah, I keep going back to that little 6-4 run they had with everyone (minus Warren) healthy last year. There is no reason they can't play like that next season.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If we're relatively healthy and we don't push for 35 or more wins I will have some serious concerns about our core.

Core being Ayton/Booker, then Oubre/Bridges. I feel the same but is it because Ayton/Book aren't great enough or is the west just too damn good now?

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yeah, I keep going back to that little 6-4 run they had with everyone (minus Warren) healthy last year. There is no reason they can't play like that next season.
I just keep wondering about defense. Every coach talks about it, but so far we have not had a Suns team that consistently plays it well. While some players are better at it than others, team defense has to be more of a coaching/motivational thing. It seems like coaches finally give up when the cost of enforcing a defensive strategy (sitting players, sometimes the team's better players) outweighs short term benefit in terms of wins and losses.

I would love to see a Suns team known for its defense--just once before I die.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
I just keep wondering about defense. Every coach talks about it, but so far we have not had a Suns team that consistently plays it well. While some players are better at it than others, team defense has to be more of a coaching/motivational thing. It seems like coaches finally give up when the cost of enforcing a defensive strategy (sitting players, sometimes the team's better players) outweighs short term benefit in terms of wins and losses.

I would love to see a Suns team known for its defense--just once before I die.
Agreed. Coaching gets you so far but defense is a mentality. A heartbeat if you will. Our top players really aren't consistent enough on that end IMO. Bridges could be though.

I just dont see 35 wins over an 82 game season. Booker will miss time, others will miss time, it just seems unreasonable at this stage.

25 to 30 seems like a very hopeful bet IMO. Especially in our division and conference.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I voted 36-40 out of optimism. However, my mind says it will be less than that (low 30's).

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score

It could happen. A determining factor would also be if the
rotation could stay relatively healthy for the season.

Even a great team that cannot field its best rotation for a
third of the season is not a great team.

Nor is an aspiring team that has the same problem.

Hopefully, without so many key players playing out of
position, injuries won't be a serious problem.

Starting with Devin Booker.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Only thing that bothers me is that CJ McCollum has a better rating than Devin Booker. I like McCollum, but I still think Booker is a better player.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Only thing that bothers me is that CJ McCollum has a better rating than Devin Booker. I like McCollum, but I still think Booker is a better player.

Booker and Ayton each lost 1 point on 2k right now. They adjust ratings throughout the year and when last season ended Booker was at 87 and Ayton at 83. I don't know why they would lose a point each but I would guess they'll gain it back before the 2nd update this year, at the latest.

Last edited: