Crabtree signed

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Really? How often does it happen that rookie WR’s come in and contribute in a major way their in their first season? I mean, did I miss it or did we draft MegaTron??

I'm confused, aren't we saying the same thing?

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Not sure Keim's trying to replace rookie WR's at this point but trying to make sure K1 has reliable targets this year. WR's typically take a year or two to develop.
It's not full on replacement, but these guys need snaps. @wa52lz said the discussion was about outside WRs besides Kevin White, so are we looking at a roster where our four wide is Crabtree, White, Fitz, and Kirk? That excludes most of the rookie WRs for any meaningful play.

Sure, White could be cut, Crabtree could be bad and be cut, but right now we're talking about our three rookie draft picks coming in on 5 wide plays or to spell someone else. Just another concerning wtf move to me.

Lagerfilled

Professional Tailgater
Reaction score
This is a reminder that even though Michael Crabtree was drafted in the top 10, he's not actually good.

2 seasons over 1000 yards
2 seasons with 9 TDs
2 seasons when he was in the Top 10 in receiving TDs, but never in yards or receptions

Blech.

I love me some K9, but just stop already with the constant Johnny Raincloud act. It’s tired!

This is a quality signing given the circumstances.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I mean, he doesn't have to be a star to contribute, but I'm also not jumping up and down with the move. This makes me even more concerned about the WR position. 4 picks in two years at the position and we have to scrape for washed up receivers with a month until the season begins?
To be fair - one of those four already looks like a keeper and the other three are rookies, 2 of whom were fourth round or later. I mean how much do you expect from rookie wrs? Aaaand this offense requires deployment of a lot of wrs.

Timm Rosenbach

Bye Bye DJ
Reaction score
Boy is this going to be an unpredictable offense to plan against. Can’t wait until week one. Matt Patricia better be prepared to get “Bud Kilmered” with Kyler Murray running the ooptie oop like James Van Der Beek. I just wish we had someone reliable like Billy Bob on the Line.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
How can you not? Maybe because it's a WR who spent the entire offseason waiting for a call? That Baltimore, who has a bigger need at WR than we do, didn't want him back?

That it's an indictment of the resources we spent at the position already?

Or rather Baltimore has a very athletic QB who unlike ours cannot throw a football... so why waste money on WRs :)

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
How can you not? Maybe because it's a WR who spent the entire offseason waiting for a call? That Baltimore, who has a bigger need at WR than we do, didn't want him back?

That it's an indictment of the resources we spent at the position already?
Jebus. Four of our top five wrs were first or second year. You wanna, I dunno, give them a little chance to develop? Geeesh.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I’d rather see Sherfield get reps than washed up Crabtree.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I'm just saying that you said who were Crabtree's QB and I pointed out that Fitz faced more stiffs in a season than Crabtree did in his career and it didn't effect him. Q too. So the QB plays into it but Fitz and Q were so special that they made it work with anyone.
Who is a bad QB going to impact more, a HOF wr or an average wr? Obviously the latter so bringing fits and his qbs into the conversation isn’t a persuasive tactic.

Timm Rosenbach

Bye Bye DJ
Reaction score
Wide Receiver is the one position where I advocate “throwing darts at a wall” with signings in this day in age. The Chiefs had two go down last year and it probably cost them the Super Bowl

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
A “decent margin?” C’mon TJ...
Training camp, the land of hyperbole and most posters talking about stuff they’ve “heard” or “read” but haven’t actually seen. I haven’t seen the “decent margin” commentary. Not saying it doesn’t exist, but seems to be one of those “facts” where one person says “he’s behind” and it takes in a life of its own.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Let me clarify, I'm fine with the move, just shocked, and worried about the guys we picked if they're already looking to replace them before the first preseason game.
“Replace”. Cmon man you’re just being ridiculous. Having someone seasoned in front of them while they, I dunno, grow into their first preseason game ever at the pro level? You’re cracking me up.

Timm Rosenbach

Bye Bye DJ
Reaction score
Training camp, the land of hyperbole and most posters talking about stuff they’ve “heard” or “read” but haven’t actually seen. I haven’t seen the “decent margin” commentary. Not saying it doesn’t exist, but seems to be one of those “facts” where one person says “he’s behind” and it takes in a life of its own.

I think that the concern is when guys who are supposed to be starters are not mentioned when the company men from the organization become befuddled when their name comes up. I remember silence when Buster Davis was mentioned. I have concerns about Isabella after the signing of Crabtree and silence from the organization. I think that he is going to take some time.

iLLmatiC

Drive-by Poster
Reaction score
I think that the concern is when guys who are supposed to be starters are not mentioned when the company men from the organization become befuddled when their name comes up. I remember silence when Buster Davis was mentioned. I have concerns about Isabella after the signing of Crabtree and silence from the organization. I think that he is going to take some time.

We'll use him this year, he's just falling behind because he's hurt. I'm not worried about Isabella.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It's not full on replacement, but these guys need snaps. @wa52lz said the discussion was about outside WRs besides Kevin White, so are we looking at a roster where our four wide is Crabtree, White, Fitz, and Kirk? That excludes most of the rookie WRs for any meaningful play.

Sure, White could be cut, Crabtree could be bad and be cut, but right now we're talking about our three rookie draft picks coming in on 5 wide plays or to spell someone else. Just another concerning wtf move to me.

That's your MO at this point. Some have rose colored glasses and some/you have
darksider glasses on.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

If we run the amount of plays kk is rumored to want wrs are going to be shuttling on and off the field. It was never realistic to think three rookie wrs were going to get meaningful snaps.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
To be fair - one of those four already looks like a keeper and the other three are rookies, 2 of whom were fourth round or later. I mean how much do you expect from rookie wrs? Aaaand this offense requires deployment of a lot of wrs.
Wait, did you just say "one of those four looks like a keeper" and then IMMEDIATELY go on to say this?

What else are you doing besides talking about what you've heard or read?

Jebus. Four of our top five wrs were first or second year. You wanna, I dunno, give them a little chance to develop? Geeesh.
Yes, let them develop, by... playing? And not replacing them before the first preseason game? BA used to split out this team into two practice fields because of the limited reps they could get playing with these rules.

“Replace”. Cmon man you’re just being ridiculous. Having someone seasoned in front of them while they, I dunno, grow into their first preseason game ever at the pro level? You’re cracking me up.
Yeah, it's replace. Do you think Crabtree came here to be the 5th or 6th guy, or an inactive on gameday? That's gonna be Isabella, Butler, Keesean Johnson... unless he's garbage.

Timm Rosenbach

Bye Bye DJ
Reaction score
If we run the amount of plays kk is rumored to want wrs are going to be shuttling on and off the field. It was never realistic to think three rookie wrs were going to get meaningful snaps.

“Rumored” is B.S. No one knows what this offense is going to look like in September. Not even the staff. It is fluid.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
That's your MO at this point. Some have rose colored glasses and some/you have
darksider glasses on.
Yep, I'm really concerned, and wondering where the positivity is coming from. Crabtree is a fine pickup, but I wish he wasn't here limiting the growth of guys we supposedly drafted to be part of the core of the team for a while.

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score

Even if they run a lot of plays they will be keeping the same personnel on offense the whole drive. Swapping out means the defense also gets to which ruins the point of running no huddle. You want to wear down the D not shuffling WR which in turn the D can shuffle their front 7.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Wait, did you just say "one of those four looks like a keeper" and then IMMEDIATELY go on to say this?

What else are you doing besides talking about what you've heard or read?

Sooo you don’t think Kirk is a keeper having watched him last season? That’s the one bud.

Yes, let them develop, by... playing? And not replacing them before the first preseason game? BA used to split out this team into two practice fields because of the limited reps they could get playing with these rules.

Yes BA split out the practice fields but it took a looong time before rookies saw the field, right????

Yeah, it's replace. Do you think Crabtree came here to be the 5th or 6th guy, or an inactive on gameday? That's gonna be Isabella, Butler, Keesean Johnson... unless he's garbage.

I think “placeholder” is much accurate than “replacement.” When any of us talk about replacement it’s about a dude no longer on the team. That’s surely not what you meant, riiiight??!

See bolded in the quote.

Look i get it. I was one of the original darksiders. When you see something that worries you, it worries you. I’ve just never seen anyone on this board so worried about so many rookies (I mean it’s now kyler and all three wrs, right?) before they’ve even played a preseason game!

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
“Rumored” is B.S. No one knows what this offense is going to look like in September. Not even the staff. It is fluid.
Eh I’m pretty sure kk has already been quoted as saying, and multiple players have been quoted as saying, they’re going to play fast to get in a lot of plays. So you can take your “B.S.” and shove it.