What is your opinion of Sprouts Farmer's Produce Markets

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They are making major introduction in to Florida. One is due to open August 28th in my town. Seems they are headquartered in Phoenix and have a major presence in that market. Good/Bad/Indifferent?

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sprouts is popular in the hipster/health food crowd. I only went to one once and it seemed dirty, foreign and cluttered but it was a single experience. I do not have one near me. I mostly go to a grocery store called WinCo that is around the corner by my house.

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
I go there a lot (see BRR’s post, LOL).

Good variety of natural products. Good vegan options. Produce is excellent. Tomatoes are cheaper than Safeway, but ripe, too. Good weekly sales. Bulk options. Company treats employees well.

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My wife shops there. Good mix of regular and health food products. Not pricey like Whole Foods, plus they carry my favorite ice cream.. Tillamook!

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We love Sprout's. Like mentioned above, great produce, bulk options, and dairy. Plus, they deliver!

wa52lz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I like it. It is usually one of our weekly shopping stops. I don't think the produce is any better quality then the other grocery stores, but it is cheaper on most regular prices and they seem to have more items on sale weekly then say Frys (Kroger) or Safeway. There meat counter has some nice products, good variety of sausage and ready marinated meats at a good price. They'll have wild caught shrimp on sale every month or so for 7.99-8.99, not sure if shrimp is cheaper in FL, but that is as cheap as I've seen in AZ for wild caught shrimp. They have a lot of specialty "diet" items for keto, low carb, etc. Coconut flour, natural sugar substitutes, etc. for a good price as well.

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Someone said you can take your own containers for the bulk food, but I don’t know if that is true.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
We use Sprouts as our main shopping source - and love it! Their produce is always exceptional and they have a nice offering of organic produce as well. We go thru gallons of their Olive Oil monthly. I am an Olive Oil snob and find their Sprouts Olive Oil to be perfect for everyday cooking.
The ONLY negative I would mention is the generally poor quality of their seafood. Which isn't a big deal because we get our seafood from an AMAZING source here in the Phoenix area.

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Love me some Sprouts. I purchase the majority of my produce from them. Love their wild Sea of Cortez colossal shrimp which goes on sale every few weeks. Every Wednesday at the Sprouts by my work, they have $5 sushi, which is surprisingly good for only $5. I get my nuts/rice from them generally. Their gummy worms are so freaking good, too.

I don’t usually buy too much meat overall so I can’t really give an opinion on that. But I definitely am a fan of Sprouts. Wednesday’s are great because of the double ads (from previous and current week).

Jersey Girl

Stand down
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Love Sprouts! Buy all my produce there. Good quality and good prices. Also love their dairy and vegetarian selections. I don't eat meat or seafood, so I can't help you there.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Love Sprouts! Buy all my produce there. Good quality and good prices. Also love their dairy and vegetarian selections. I don't eat meat or seafood, so I can't help you there.

And only a few minutes away from your house.

OP
OP
Southpaw

Southpaw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yup! Wish we were getting a Trader Joe's. Stupid Aldi's. Anyone have an opinion on them? I haven't seen one since I lived back east, and I was NOT impressed.

Aldi's good for produce. Aldi's and T J's have an actual family connection.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We buy our fruits and veggies there every week in Nor Cal. It's not cheap but definitely better quality, the meat and fish is better too. They have things like specialty sausages, hot dogs etc that are much healthier but man expensive. They even have bison burgers and things like that.

They seem to treat their employees well too. I will say the one "issue" we have and this may be a California thing but everyone brings their own bags and they almost rely on you bagging your own groceries. I've actually heard a couple of customers complain and be told I'm sorry I am supposed to bag but most customers prefer to do it themselves, which is not true, they just sort of rely on it. It may seem petty but when I'm paying a premium already it would be nice if they can bag for me. Generally now I'm sliding stuff to Lucy she's bagging and then I'm paying and loading into the cart because we've just been trained by them it's easier that way than waiting for them to bag for you after they ring you up. I assume they cut costs and don't have baggers.

We buy other stuff at Lucky and they tend to have 1 bagger per 2 lines and the bagger goes back and forth, works well.

Jersey Girl

Stand down
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interesting, Russ. I actually do prefer to bag my own groceries. I think we could use a poll for this.

OP
OP
Southpaw

Southpaw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The grand opening came and went. Huge disappointment. Ridiculously high prices. Huge crowd pushing around empty carts looking bewildered and shaking their heads at the prices. There are enough Whole Foods and Fresh Markets allready. Oh well.

Jersey Girl

Stand down
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The grand opening came and went. Huge disappointment. Ridiculously high prices. Huge crowd pushing around empty carts looking bewildered and shaking their heads at the prices. There are enough Whole Foods and Fresh Markets allready. Oh well.

Well, that's sad. Sorry about your experience.

I went this weekend and got 5 cucumbers for a buck and pork chops for $1.99 a pound. Apples were 88 cents a pound as well.

The big bummer for me is the damned gummi sharks that my daughter loves. It's $3.99 for a small package.

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Well, that's sad. Sorry about your experience.

I went this weekend and got 5 cucumbers for a buck and pork chops for $1.99 a pound. Apples were 88 cents a pound as well.

The big bummer for me is the damned gummi sharks that my daughter loves. It's $3.99 for a small package.

They are having a big Buy One Get One sale right now...I didn't see if the deal extended to sharks, though. :(

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson