My TC Battles

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
1. Most experts are talking up the center battle between Shipley and Cole, but since both are locks to make the team, it doesn't interest me all that much. I do remember that as a rookie, Cole had a little trouble with shot gun snaps, so I'll be watching that.
2. QB-Looks like we're going with only two so the battle will be for the PS. Kanoff vs. Anderson vs. the WW.
3. WR-Most are saying we keep seven and five seem like locks. For #6, I'm going with Cooper vs. Byrd, with the returns settling the issue. For #7, I'm guessing Sherfield vs. White. Though it's possible that we keep two of the guys who are fighting for #6. And it's also possible that Kirk and Isabella do the returning and we keep Sherfield AND White. That is why the WR group is the one that interests me the most.
4. OL-If we keep 10, the four subs that I see are Cole/Shipley, Gaillard, Cunningham and Garcia (assuming he gets off the PUP). Needing another tackle, I'm guessing WW.
5. TE-With seven WR's, I'm going with only two TE's. Williams makes it and Wilson goes to the PS. The battle will be between RSJ and Clay, when he clears the PUP.

I'll look at the defense in a day or two. Which TC battles interest you?

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
1. Most experts are talking up the center battle between Shipley and Cole, but since both are locks to make the team, it doesn't interest me all that much. I do remember that as a rookie, Cole had a little trouble with shot gun snaps, so I'll be watching that.
2. QB-Looks like we're going with only two so the battle will be for the PS. Kanoff vs. Anderson vs. the WW.
3. WR-Most are saying we keep seven and five seem like locks. For #6, I'm going with Cooper vs. Byrd, with the returns settling the issue. For #7, I'm guessing Sherfield vs. White. Though it's possible that we keep two of the guys who are fighting for #6. And it's also possible that Kirk and Isabella do the returning and we keep Sherfield AND White. That is why the WR group is the one that interests me the most.
4. OL-If we keep 10, the four subs that I see are Cole/Shipley, Gaillard, Cunningham and Garcia (assuming he gets off the PUP). Needing another tackle, I'm guessing WW.
5. TE-With seven WR's, I'm going with only two TE's. Williams makes it and Wilson goes to the PS. The battle will be between RSJ and Clay, when he clears the PUP.

The CB position. Who steps up during PP suspension?

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score

I am not sure about #5, Williams is no lock--if any TE is it's Clay and even that is iffy. The TE's in this scheme really have to catch first, if they need an extra blocker they can bring in another OL, I just don't see the TE being a critical element of this offense.

To me the most intriguing battles are for starting Center, outside CB while PP is suspended and the last 2 WR spots.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I don't know if this is going to happen this year, but I wonder if next season we're going to see a correction where we keep fewer offensive skill position players and more OL and defenders. The logic is that if we're planning to play 100 offensive snaps a game (which was a number I heard quoted from David Johnson via the Ringer's Dantasy Football Podcast), we may be better off with rotating 8 average offensive linemen and keeping them fresh than having 3 highly paid OL and 3 average guys leaning on defenders midway through the third quarter.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Since versatility is the "attribute of the day", I wonder whether they'll convert #22 into some sort of RB/WR hybrid.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
I think there is a scenario where Cole beats out Shipley, Gaillard becomes the #2 and Shipley is cut. Not sure they are both locks to make it.

OP
OP
G

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Dr Jones, ref Cole and Shipley being locks to make it, I should have added an IMO.

P.S. F/w/i/w, Rugby has them as locks, also.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Cole and Shipley are both capable of playing guard too. I wonder if the “loser” could unseat Pugh or Sweezy.

OP
OP
G

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
My battles on the defensive side of the ball:
1. DL-Interested in the NT backup. McClain vs. Valentine vs. WW.
2. OLB-After the two locks, I'm looking at Reed vs. Branch. Think that we'll only go with one vet backup, plus a young guy, that can also play ST. So to me that means guys like Robertson, Taumo and Dora (plus the WW) all have a shot.
3. ILB-Hicks, Reddick, and Gardeck seem set. Guessing that we add two more that can also play ST's. Since Hayes Pullard (just signed) has experience, I think he'll be one of them.
4. CB-Before PP returns, I see us with four guys: Alford, Brock, Murphy and Jones. Plus a safety that can also play the slot.
5. S-The two starters, plus three others. I'm going with the Thompson twins and one other, with that spot being up for grabs.

It's an exciting time of year.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score

Appreciate you posting this Garth. Really good stuff man.

So, I'm not the most knowledgeable fan, but I though RJS showed pretty well last year, and in 2017. He looks like a pretty dangerous receiver. Is he on the bubble because he's a poor blocker?

OP
OP
G

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Crimson, thanks. Because we're reportedly keeping seven WR's, and the TE position is not highly valued by KK, I'm guessing we'll only keep two TE's. I've read that Maxx Williams is the best blocking TE, so I see him making the team, thus leaving a battle between RSJ and Clay for the other TE opening. The PS games will tell us a LOT MORE. And it's very possible that we'll go with three TE's and if so, RSJ makes the team, imo.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
With a team coming off a 3 win season and 11 draft picks a ton of positions will be up for grabs. As I review the roster the position that looks the weakest to me is at DE. Sure the Oline could be a M*A*S*H unit but if they stay healthy we will be solid there.

Philon should be solid and Gunther is okayish but do we have any difference makes on the roster? I'm most excited to see if Zach Allen can be a difference maker.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson