Training Camp Tuesday

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
Looking at our schedule, I just don't see how we win more than 6 games even if things go right.

I think you can argue that in a good season, we beat the Lions at home, Bengals on the road, Giants on the road, and either the 49ers or Seahawks at home. After that...I can't see it.

Do we really think in Murray's 3rd and 4th starts, we will beat the Panthers and Seahawks at home, and without Patrick Peterson?

The Bucs on the road winning our 3rd early start, East Coast road game?

Even the 49ers at home is a bad spot as it will be our 3rd game in 12 days.

Our late home stretch is the Rams, Steelers, and Browns. Ooof.

I have to agree with this. If we didn't play the NFC South, and AFC North, I might be a little more optimistic about the win loss total this year.

But PIT, CLE and BLT will be tough, tough games. Then NO, CAR and ATL? Plus four games against the Rams and Seahawks?

I think we'll be lucky to win seven games.

But that doesn't matter much, because to me, this year is about successfully implementing a new culture, system, and scheme.

What I would really like to see is for ARZ to improve each week, from week 1, all the way to week 17, and I'd like for us to look like a dangerous, dangerous football team in our season finale against the Rams

Then in 2020, we come out guns blazing, and take the division back from LA.

Last edited:

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Sit back and just for a moment let your imagination run wild.

Just imagine this board if we start out 5-1. Imagine the hype and the media darlings this team would be.

Doesn’t cost a cent to dream for a minute. :)
Reminds me of the year we started 4-2 and they sent Terry Bradshaw out to do "the bird" or whatever with Kwamie Lassiter. Then we won one more game the rest of the season.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Reminds me of the year we started 4-2 and they sent Terry Bradshaw out to do "the bird" or whatever with Kwamie Lassiter. Then we won one more game the rest of the season.

Yes, but they were very ugly wins. Pretty sure we were winning 9-6 games during that stretch. Point well taken though.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
It's not that I can't see a world where the cardinals win 4-5 games or 9-10 games, but the problem I have is with the confidence that people seem to have with their predicted win totals. Making those assumptions with an heir of confidence just seems odd to me. There is just so many unknowns with this team and while I think it's fair to have some doubts about the prospect of them being good, I also think we need to see how this actually translates to the field to confidently make predictions.
That i agree with. Many people tend to post their opinions as facts. Bothers me too.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It's not that I can't see a world where the cardinals win 4-5 games or 9-10 games, but the problem I have is with the confidence that people seem to have with their predicted win totals. Making those assumptions with an heir of confidence just seems odd to me. There is just so many unknowns with this team and while I think it's fair to have some doubts about the prospect of them being good, I also think we need to see how this actually translates to the field to confidently make predictions.

It's one thing to be bad. And yes, we were bad last year. But combining bad, boring, and poorly coached into the equation, and you're left with unwatchable football. I've been watching this team since 1964 & it would be difficult to find a more unwatchable Cardinal team in those 54 years. On paper, we appear to have a tougher schedule. But, you never know until you're into the season as to how teams will pan out. From a win-loss standpoint, I have no expectations. But, I have fairly high expectations that barring major injuries, we will be a fun team to watch.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's one thing to be bad. And yes, we were bad last year. But combining bad, boring, and poorly coached into the equation, and you're left with unwatchable football. I've been watching this team since 1964 & it would be difficult to find a more unwatchable Cardinal team in those 54 years. On paper, we appear to have a tougher schedule. But, you never know until you're into the season as to how teams will pan out. From a win-loss standpoint, I have no expectations. But, I have fairly high expectations that barring major injuries, we will be a fun team to watch.

Anything will be better than constantly running David Johnson up the middle into a brick wall. Man that was painful to watch.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anything will be better than constantly running David Johnson up the middle into a brick wall. Man that was painful to watch.
This alone gives me huge hope. I firmly believe that KK is the type of coach that will use DJ in appropriate ways like Arians did. Getting DJ alone to start having a real and successful workload means the sky is the limit for everything else.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
If there is one thing I have learned about the NFL is that you can not determine the difficulty of your schedule before the season.

There are so many factors that come into play when considering these things. Mainly injuries and teams under-performing expectations.

There will likely be games where we face banged up teams that on paper should have been a scheduled loss, but without half their starters and their starting QB they ended up being a pushover.

We may actually look back at the schedule at the end of the season and view it as much easier than expected or than what it was on paper before the season.
Yes and no.

I look at it in terms of QBs, new coaches, and schedule structure.

Matt Stafford @ home
Lamar Jackson - away -early East Coast start time
Cam Newton @ home
Russell Wilson @ home
Andy Dalton - away - early East Coast start time
Matt Ryan @ home
Eli Manning - away - early East Coast start time
Drew Brees - away - early East Coast start time
Jimmy Garapollo @ home (4 days rest, 3rd game in 12 days)
J Winston - away - early East Coast start time
Jimmy Garopollo - away
Jared Goff @ home
Ben Roethlisberger @ home
Baker Mayfield @ home
Russell Wilson - away
Jared Goff - away

One area of concern is that the best QBs we face, we face at home. Worst QBs are on the road. You would prefer that to be the other way around with a young QB and a weak roster.

Another area is that of the three new HCs we face, only one is in the first 6 weeks of the season.

Of the 4 mobile QBs we face, only one is after week 4. Less chances for them to be more dinged up.

We face Jimmy in the middle which may be a good thing based on his injury history.

The two QBs who may be benched for a rookie, Andy Dalton and Eli Manning are relatively early in the season which is not ideal.

Rams games being late in the season may work out if Gurley gets dinged up again.

I forgot to mention 5 early start, East Coast games which is not good.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Yes and no.

I look at it in terms of QBs, new coaches, and schedule structure.

Matt Stafford @ home
Lamar Jackson - away -early East Coast start time
Cam Newton @ home
Russell Wilson @ home
Andy Dalton - away - early East Coast start time
Matt Ryan @ home
Eli Manning - away - early East Coast start time
Drew Brees - away - early East Coast start time
Jimmy Garapollo @ home (4 days rest, 3rd game in 12 days)
J Winston - away - early East Coast start time
Jimmy Garopollo - away
Jared Goff @ home
Ben Roethlisberger @ home
Baker Mayfield @ home
Russell Wilson - away
Jared Goff - away

One area of concern is that the best QBs we face, we face at home. Worst QBs are on the road. You would prefer that to be the other way around with a young QB and a weak roster.

Another area is that of the three new HCs we face, only one is in the first 6 weeks of the season.

Of the 4 mobile QBs we face, only one is after week 4. Less chances for them to be more dinged up.

We face Jimmy in the middle which may be a good thing based on his injury history.

The two QBs who may be benched for a rookie, Andy Dalton and Eli Manning are relatively early in the season which is not ideal.

Rams games being late in the season may work out if Gurley gets dinged up again.

I forgot to mention 5 early start, East Coast games which is not good.
And yet we have no idea how many of those teams will be dealing with a lot of injuries at the time and potentially which of these QBs may end up missing the game when we play them.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Expect K2's offense to attack enemy's perimeter rather than punch it between the tackles. Just this shift in strategy alone should improve Cardnals offensive production.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
And yet we have no idea how many of those teams will be dealing with a lot of injuries at the time and potentially which of these QBs may end up missing the game when we play them.
If you just want to only look and speak about football in terms of hindsight, that is up to you. I like to project based upon what I know, what I can learn, and what I see. That is fun for me and so that is what I share.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
I might be reading into things... But sure sounds as if Shipley is no fan of Kingsbury.
98.7 played a sound bite with A.Q. and he is clearly pissed that he hasn’t been named the starting Center. And he was totally anti-practice outdoors! Tried to make the point that they play limited games outdoors so what’s the point... Hmmmmmmm...

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If you just want to only look and speak about football in terms of hindsight, that is up to you. I like to project based upon what I know, what I can learn, and what I see. That is fun for me and so that is what I share.
Point well taken. Only, I hope you'll honor the right of some of us to be a little tight-assed when it comes to throwing around a lot of predictions with what we'd deem to be hyper-certitude.

Hypothesis

Draft Junkie
Reaction score
I might be reading into things... But sure sounds as if Shipley is no fan of Kingsbury.
98.7 played a sound bite with A.Q. and he is clearly pissed that he hasn’t been named the starting Center. And he was totally anti-practice outdoors! Tried to make the point that they play limited games outdoors so what’s the point... Hmmmmmmm...

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Here is the interview from A.Q. In full context, it doesn't seem he is pissed at KK. He is pretty well spoken and seems fired up.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
OT - Any one else have trouble accessing the new Cardinal website app and winding up in circular "click here for new app" hell?

iLLmatiC

Drive-by Poster
Reaction score

He did a podcast in the off-season and said he liked KK because he was all football and no rah rah BS.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Jeff, I had no problem with the above link. F/w/i/w, Shipley is very well spoken, and did not come off as anti KK, imo. He's not a fan of outdoors practice, but glad it was one and not two hours.