Most Over Rated Movie

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I agree 100%, what a God awful film...slow, long, boring and absolutely zero entertainment value. Never understood the hype.

That's a shame. I can definitely see how people would think it's boring, the problem is that nobody quite understand WHY it's such an amazing film. They don't get the context of the movie when it was released. It was revolutionary in it's day.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know Gone with the Wind is long, but for 1935, it is a great movie.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's a shame. I can definitely see how people would think it's boring, the problem is that nobody quite understand WHY it's such an amazing film. They don't get the context of the movie when it was released. It was revolutionary in it's day.
I can see how it would be revolutionary, but the story just doesn't hold my interest all the way through it. And I like many long movies.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score

It told a real story that people were terrified of retelling.

It also broke new ground in cinematography, including two tricks the Wachowski brothers abused over and over again as a "style" in the Matrix. We owe to that movie efx such as deep focus, seamless one-shots (through the window!) and wipes.

Last edited:

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks a lot Mulli for bringing this worthless thread to my attention.

I knew I was wasting my time reading it when people were pumping up The Rock but critizing Fargo and Oh Brother, Where art thou. Oh Brother is brilliant and easily in my top 5. Fargo is a great and funny film. The Rock... just another action film, average at best.

This thread is over rated.

One person. Me. I liked the movie. It is one of Nicolas Cage's best. Easily. That's what we were talking about. I wasn't saying the Rock was one of the best action movies of all time, again, just one of Cage's best.

Fargo's sense of humor is way too dry for me. Arrested Development dry humor, I can take. Not even close with this one.

I even gave O Brother a fair shake. It was just an ok movie, not great.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pulp Fiction - #1 most overrated film in history.

That's back when indie filmmakers were gaining power and way too full of themselves. Pulp Fiction was the centerpiece, but it was so full of its own coolness that it was impossible for me to take it seriously. Reservoir Dogs is a much better movie and copied far more often.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Every now and then the Coen Bros. do a true art flick disguised as a folksy story. Movies like O Brother and Barton Fink require a fairly intimate knowledge of history and literature to even understand what the movie is about. O Brother is better than Barton Fink because it has a surface story line. Barton Fink is much more dense and makes almost no sense on the surface. If

If you never enjoyed critical analysis of Homer's Odyssey in classic lit class, I can see where O Brother would be a burden to watch. But who doesn't like the Soggy Bottom Boys? Really?

Last edited:

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
That's back when indie filmmakers were gaining power and way too full of themselves. Pulp Fiction was the centerpiece, but it was so full of its own coolness that it was impossible for me to take it seriously. Reservoir Dogs is a much better movie and copied far more often.

My thoughts exactly.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
One person. Me. I liked the movie. It is one of Nicolas Cage's best. Easily. That's what we were talking about. I wasn't saying the Rock was one of the best action movies of all time, again, just one of Cage's best.

Fargo's sense of humor is way too dry for me. Arrested Development dry humor, I can take. Not even close with this one.

I like Gone in Sixty Seconds as his best.

KloD

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Ok, my bad. O' Brother is brilliant though, but I think you'd have to have read the Odyssey to really appreciate it. I also thought there were a few references to Moby Dick in the end. Anyway, it's one of my all time favs.

I liked the Rock, but I enjoy thinking movies more than action. I still think Cages best roll was Raising Arizona, but I never saw Adaptation which I've heard was very good.

EDIT: I should have just put a ditto to Gads post.

Last edited:

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My thoughts exactly.

Andrzej Sekula was maybe the real genius behind Tarantino's early success. That one-shot at the beginning has been copied over and over again. So has the strobe effect as they walk from the diner.

Much was made over the non-linear editing, but I can't say that storytelling format has set foot outside of sci-fi/time travel movies. I think Memento took it to the extreme.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Every now and then the Coen Bros. do a true art flick disguised as a folksy story. Movies like O Brother and Barton Fink require a fairly intimate knowledge of history and literature to even understand what the movie is about. O Brother is better than Barton Fink because it has a surface story line. Barton Fink is much more dense and makes almost no sense on the surface. If

If you never enjoyed critical analysis of Homer's Odyssey in classic lit class, I can see where O Brother would be a burden to watch. But who doesn't like the Soggy Bottom Boys? Really?

I absolutely loved Odyssey. I love the time period as well from O Brother. It just didn't click with me for whatever reason.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Ok, my bad. O' Brother is brilliant though, but I think you'd have to have read the Odyssey to really appreciate it. I also thought there were a few references to Moby Dick in the end. Anyway, it's one of my all time favs.

I liked the Rock, but I enjoy thinking movies more than action. I still think Cages best roll was Raising Arizona, but I never saw Adaptation which I've heard was very good.

EDIT: I should have just put a ditto to Gads post.

IMO, Nic Cage's best films were Raising Arizona, Adaptation and Leaving Las Vegas. As far as performances go, Leaving Las Vegas is definitely the best he's ever done--but that's not saying much since he's awful in 90% of his movies. :)

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am tempted to change my original answer of Titanic to Star Wars. Yes, I loved it when I was 11. But, people worship it, and it really doesn't hold up well at all. Plus, all the dressing up, by people my age, and the brainwashing of their children...... talk about overrated. It isn't worth all that energy!

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
I am tempted to change my original answer of Titanic to Star Wars. Yes, I loved it when I was 11. But, people worship it, and it really doesn't hold up well at all. Plus, all the dressing up, by people my age, and the brainwashing of their children...... talk about overrated. It isn't worth all that energy!

Dude - you had Titanic as your most overrated?? Kate Winslet alone is enough to keep the movie off the list! :p

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ive never been a fan but it was slightly before my time and my household was more into star trek as a kid.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dude - you had Titanic as your most overrated?? Kate Winslet alone is enough to keep the movie off the list! :p
I feel asleep during that movie. No, I am not going to give it another chance. :p

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I feel asleep during that movie. No, I am not going to give it another chance. :p

I was on a cruise ship one time and Titanic was playing in an endless loop... on a cruise ship no less.. lol

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
I was on a cruise ship one time and Titanic was playing in an endless loop... on a cruise ship no less.. lol
That’s like in the movie Airplane when they were showing a movie with plane crash scenes.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose