The 2019-2020 Around the NBA thread

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It about that time to start a new thread.

Once Patrick Patterson clears waivers he will likely sign with the Clippers.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Landry Shamet withdraws from USA Basketball Select Team camp.

Adrian Wojnarowski‏Verified account @wojespn

Clippers G Landry Shamet has withdrawn from USA Basketball Select Team camp, agent @GeorgeLangberg tells ESPN. “He was appreciative of the opportunity and hopes to be part of USAB again in future,” Langberg tells ESPN. Shamet's preparing for what could be deep LAC playoff run.

8:33 AM - 2 Aug 2019

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Landry Shamet withdraws from USA Basketball Select Team camp.

Adrian Wojnarowski‏Verified account @wojespn

Clippers G Landry Shamet has withdrawn from USA Basketball Select Team camp, agent @GeorgeLangberg tells ESPN. “He was appreciative of the opportunity and hopes to be part of USAB again in future,” Langberg tells ESPN. Shamet's preparing for what could be deep LAC playoff run.

8:33 AM - 2 Aug 2019
Mistake. Shamet would benefit. He is not going to be logging long minutes with the Clips.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mistake. Shamet would benefit. He is not going to be logging long minutes with the Clips.

I agree but it seems to be the in-thing to opt out of Team USA events.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Shamet must be the only person who thinks the Clippers will need him for a deep playoff run. Playing with Team USA would have prepared him for playing with a couple of stars. I'm really looking forward to seeing the Clippers. They could have the best perimeter defense the NBA has seen in decades. They have Patrick Beverly, Kawhi, and Paul George to really put pressure on people. They're a little weak in their frontcourt but when you have 2 legit DPOY candidates in Kawhi and George on the perimeter, you can be a little weak inside.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Shamet must be the only person who thinks the Clippers will need him for a deep playoff run. Playing with Team USA would have prepared him for playing with a couple of stars. I'm really looking forward to seeing the Clippers. They could have the best perimeter defense the NBA has seen in decades. They have Patrick Beverly, Kawhi, and Paul George to really put pressure on people. They're a little weak in their frontcourt but when you have 2 legit DPOY candidates in Kawhi and George on the perimeter, you can be a little weak inside.

He's probably going to be their first wing player off the bench and we know Kawhi is going to take rest games like 20 times during the year. The NBA season is ridiculously long, I don't blame a guy for wanting to save himself during the off season.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He's probably going to be their first wing player off the bench and we know Kawhi is going to take rest games like 20 times during the year. The NBA season is ridiculously long, I don't blame a guy for wanting to save himself during the off season.

I doubt he'll be their first wing off the bench because he's not really a wing, he's a combo guard and they still have Lou Williams, who has won the last 2 Sixth Man of the Year awards, and they also have Montrezl Harrell, who finished 3rd in Sixth Man voting last year. Having 2 players finish in the top 3 for Sixth Man is very unusual but it shows how Doc uses his bench and who he favors. With those guys returning, likely to the same role, and adding Mo Harkless, I can't see Shamet coming in sooner than 4th off the bench, maybe 3rd but even that isn't that vital.

I did forget all of the players they dealt for George, like Shai and Gallinari, but I can't see Doc struggling to fill their roles with their additions. They'll probably add another minimum player or two also since they're likely to be a favorite for a title and teams like that usually get their pick of veterans looking for minimum deals at the end of their career.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thought this was interesting. Porzingis has almost missed more time than Jordan did when he retired the first time. Knowing that, I'm a little surprised the Mavericks paid him max money right off the bat. He might have gotten that much from another team but the Mavericks could have matched if he did.

I wonder if passing on Nash because of injury concerns has caused Cuban to throw caution to the wind and just decided to pay people rather than let them walk if they have injury issues.

This was on Reddit, links in the quote...

If Kristaps Porziņģis plays opening night, it will be a total of 624 days between his last and next game. Michael Jordan's entire first retirement was 638 days.

KP's last game: February 6, 2018

Opening Night: October 22, 2019

Jordan's last game before retirement: June 20, 1993

Jordan's first game back from retirement: March 19, 1995

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Draymond Green signs an extension with the Warriors for 4 years/ $100 million.

I guess the Warriors are trying to remain a contender but that's a lot of money for Green whose production dropped last season.

With free agency looming next summer, three-time NBA champion and All-Star forward Draymond Green has agreed to a four-year, $100 million maximum contract extension with the Golden State Warriors, agent Rich Paul of Klutch Sports told ESPN.

The new deal, which starts with the 2020-21 season, brings the total length and value of Green's contract to five years, $118 million. Green's extension pays him $22.2 million, $24 million, $25.8 million and $27.6 million over the course of the deal.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/27314349/green-warriors-reach-four-year-max-extension

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I am surprised it was that low. I figured Green was going to back up the truck, especially when they REALLY need him this off season. Their bigs have gotten less productive lately since some guys left, imho. They need some help, and Green has to bridge that gap until they get some guys.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thought this was interesting. Porzingis has almost missed more time than Jordan did when he retired the first time. Knowing that, I'm a little surprised the Mavericks paid him max money right off the bat. He might have gotten that much from another team but the Mavericks could have matched if he did.

I wonder if passing on Nash because of injury concerns has caused Cuban to throw caution to the wind and just decided to pay people rather than let them walk if they have injury issues.

This was on Reddit, links in the quote...

I'm thinking Porzingis was a bargain if healthy. They have built their team around Doncic and Porzingis.

If Porzingis does not return to health they are in trouble but looking back they didn't have to give up that much to get him.

In today's market, Dennis Smith Jr., DeAndre Jordan, Wesley Matthews and two first round picks is not that much to trade for a potential star.

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Adrian Wojnarowski (@wojespn)
8/3/19, 9:16 AM
Green’s extension pays him $22.2M, $24M, $25.8M and $27.6M over the course of the deal. The Warriors will have $129M and $138M committed to their four max players — Curry, Thompson, Green and Russell — in the 2020-21 and 2021-22 seasons, respectively.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Adrian Wojnarowski (@wojespn)
8/3/19, 9:16 AM
Green’s extension pays him $22.2M, $24M, $25.8M and $27.6M over the course of the deal. The Warriors will have $129M and $138M committed to their four max players — Curry, Thompson, Green and Russell — in the 2020-21 and 2021-22 seasons, respectively.
He would have gotten more than that on the open market. That is about what Dr. J wanted to pay Oubre.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Draymond Green signs an extension with the Warriors for 4 years/ $100 million.

I guess the Warriors are trying to remain a contender but that's a lot of money for Green whose production dropped last season.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/27314349/green-warriors-reach-four-year-max-extension

Did you watch him in the postseason?

13.3 PPG 10.1 RPG 8.5 APG too many TO's 3.8 but he did that shooting 50% overal 72 from the FT line. Only 23 from 3 a terrible 3 point shooting postseason but if the Warriors had managed to win the finals it's entirely possible Green would have won MVP of the finals.

He's a bit of a risk because he's 29 so 33 at the end of the contract but he was in the best shape of his career in the postseason this year and it showed. Unless he puts back on some of the weight he lost I think it's reasonable to assume he'll still be a terrific piece for the Warriors for a few years to go. Yes he'll have more pressure on him without Durant but again he put up double digit assists in 3 of the 6 games against Toronto essentially without Durant.

I'm thrilled they kept him, heart and soul of the team.

To me the big question is what will they do long term with Russell, if they flip him for another piece like a good wing defender who makes 3's like Covington or involve him in a 3 team trade for my personal choice Joe Harris they could be on to something. I figure Russell and Curry split the 1/2 for a few months until Klay can play and then they decide is this a guy we can play with Steph and Klay going forward(I doubt it) or a guy we move.Trade deadline is early Feb I think, it's not clear if they're going to be in a spot to trade him then or not, Klay has to be back and looking relatively ok for them to do that.

But a huge part of that is Draymond they're just not nearly as good defensively without him.

One thing I do like about the offseason is they seemed to recognize they'd lost quite a bit defensively with Durant, Iggy and Livingston so they brought back Looney, signed Cauley-Stein and now commit to Draymond long term.

I don't see it next year but if they make the right moves and Klay comes back ok I can see them in 20-21 being a real factor.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did you watch him in the postseason?

13.3 PPG 10.1 RPG 8.5 APG too many TO's 3.8 but he did that shooting 50% overal 72 from the FT line. Only 23 from 3 a terrible 3 point shooting postseason but if the Warriors had managed to win the finals it's entirely possible Green would have won MVP of the finals.

He's a bit of a risk because he's 29 so 33 at the end of the contract but he was in the best shape of his career in the postseason this year and it showed. Unless he puts back on some of the weight he lost I think it's reasonable to assume he'll still be a terrific piece for the Warriors for a few years to go. Yes he'll have more pressure on him without Durant but again he put up double digit assists in 3 of the 6 games against Toronto essentially without Durant.

I'm thrilled they kept him, heart and soul of the team.

To me the big question is what will they do long term with Russell, if they flip him for another piece like a good wing defender who makes 3's like Covington or involve him in a 3 team trade for my personal choice Joe Harris they could be on to something. I figure Russell and Curry split the 1/2 for a few months until Klay can play and then they decide is this a guy we can play with Steph and Klay going forward(I doubt it) or a guy we move.Trade deadline is early Feb I think, it's not clear if they're going to be in a spot to trade him then or not, Klay has to be back and looking relatively ok for them to do that.

But a huge part of that is Draymond they're just not nearly as good defensively without him.

One thing I do like about the offseason is they seemed to recognize they'd lost quite a bit defensively with Durant, Iggy and Livingston so they brought back Looney, signed Cauley-Stein and now commit to Draymond long term.

I don't see it next year but if they make the right moves and Klay comes back ok I can see them in 20-21 being a real factor.

Indeed, I watched the Raptors-Warriors Finals. Leonard played exceptional basketball as well as the rest of the Raptors team.

I'm looking at it as an outsider. I see a decline of Drayomond Green's regular season stats from the 2015-16 season. That combined with his age would make me reticent to want to pay him that kind of money.

Of course with the loss of Durant, it becomes even more important to keep Green. The Warriors want to keep their window of opportunity open.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Green is the heart and soul of that team. Sure, Curry and Thompson are better players. Durant was a better player as well, but Green is the most important player on that team.

Lol no he is not the most important player on the team. He’s a nice role player. Durant and Steph are generational talents. That’s like saying Rodman was more important than Pippen and Jordan.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Lol no he is not the most important player on the team. He’s a nice role player. Durant and Steph are generational talents. That’s like saying Rodman was more important than Pippen and Jordan.

Curry is their most important player but Green is far more important to them than Durant. Durant is a generational player but he was superfluous on that team, while Green was their best defender, rebounder and (arguably) passer.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score

How many Warriors games have you seen over the last couple of years? Green is the heart of that team, he's also their primary playmaker on offense, and their best defender. Doing all of that allowed Steph, Klay, and KD to concentrate on scoring. KD's gone but that just means they'll need Green to step it up a bit more.

There was talk of the Warriors having to choose between KD or Draymond this offseason when they were feuding early in the season. That idea isn't even discussed if Draymond was just their Rodman.

Comparing him to Rodman is ridiculous. Rodman was a great piece for the Bulls but the Bulls proved they could win championships without him, he just made the path easier. Green is much more the Pippen of Warriors than Rodman. He often guards the opposing teams best player, handles the ball a lot, and is relied on to get the offense going when Steph's having trouble getting it going. Green isn't asked to score in place of Steph but he is asked to get buckets somehow, and he usually does that by finding the open man for an easy basket.

You don't have to like Green, most people don't, but to discount what he does for the Warriors only shows that you haven't watched many Warriors games. I'd say he's overpaid if he got that much from another team but to the Warriors, that's what he's worth, perhaps even more.

sdscard4

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
How many Warriors games have you seen over the last couple of years? Green is the heart of that team, he's also their primary playmaker on offense, and their best defender. Doing all of that allowed Steph, Klay, and KD to concentrate on scoring. KD's gone but that just means they'll need Green to step it up a bit more.

There was talk of the Warriors having to choose between KD or Draymond this offseason when they were feuding early in the season. That idea isn't even discussed if Draymond was just their Rodman.

Comparing him to Rodman is ridiculous. Rodman was a great piece for the Bulls but the Bulls proved they could win championships without him, he just made the path easier. Green is much more the Pippen of Warriors than Rodman. He often guards the opposing teams best player, handles the ball a lot, and is relied on to get the offense going when Steph's having trouble getting it going. Green isn't asked to score in place of Steph but he is asked to get buckets somehow, and he usually does that by finding the open man for an easy basket.

You don't have to like Green, most people don't, but to discount what he does for the Warriors only shows that you haven't watched many Warriors games. I'd say he's overpaid if he got that much from another team but to the Warriors, that's what he's worth, perhaps even more.
Lol the whole world has watched too many Warrior games the past 5 years....not really a choice

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Warriors have some nice players but it is Curry's team. They do not win all those championships without him.