What will decide this season

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
The decision being an improvement as a competitive team as a rookie QB adjusts and is able to flourish, which all comes down to this OL being able to run block. I know about how this offense is pass heavy blah blah blah, but we will have to run the ball. If this OL cannot run block and stick together for a season, then it's very possible we will be lucky to win four games

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I would disagree. In my mind it comes down to coaching. The roster is what it is. Murray is a rookie QB no matter what. It comes down to the staffs ability to maximize what strengths we have and disguise our weaknesses. It comes down to being able to attack different teams uniquely based upon matchups.

It is something I felt Arians and Bowles did very well here and gave us an advantage.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
It is something I felt Arians and Bowles did very well here and gave us an advantage.

They really knew their stuff.

I feel that what decides this season is completely unfairly on the back of Kyler Murray. The closer we get to September, the more sympathetic I seem to get.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score

I feel that what decides this season is completely unfairly on the back of Kyler Murray. The closer we get to September, the more sympathetic I seem to get.
I think there is a certain level that Murray has to achieve, but there is only so high he can climb in his first year.

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Progress. You can lose and still show progress. The 1997 Cards lost a lot of games and showed progress, fight. That's what I want to see. Fight. Heart. Guts. This team quit in a lot of games last season. I don't want to see that this season. We have a rookie QB. I'm not expecting a Super Bowl.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Jetstream, I agree with you, but I'll add that pass blocking is just as important, since, IMO, we'll be passing more than running. That is why the next offseason will be so important. The Draft and FA.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I agree with Jetstream in that we will need to be able to run the ball significantly better than we did last year. The rushing yards can't come strictly from Murray escaping the pocket & running for his life. Also, for this offense to be effective, at least 1 of our rookie WR's will have to step up. This offense is designed to distribute the ball to many receivers, so our young WR corp has to exhibit good hands. This will be a telling year for DJ. What he does will go a long way towards what our season will look like. The D should be much better in a 3-4, but losing PP for 6 games could get ugly. Also, I'm not all in on VJ, so he'll have to be a better DC than he's ever been. I just want to see competitive football. 99% of last year was unwatchable. Murray will be an exciting factor, but improvement in the above mentioned areas is necessary for us to be a real football team again.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Each season it's the same - a multitude of factors that all factor in with a variety of influences:

Team Talent

Talent at Different Key Positions

Coaching

Luck

Injuries

Same Above Factors Applied to Every Opponent

Refs

Crowd Noise

Weather

W&L Momentum - Playoff Contention - Team Morale

Each of the above factors vary from year to year (in fact, game to game). While you might be able to make money scoping out the part these variables will play in over all W's and L's I maintain that predicting how all these chips will fall is difficult at best.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
I’m looking for flashes of explosiveness. The lack of offensive experience likely will result inconsistency. However, if there’s anything to this QB & this offense we should see examples of what they can grow into when polished. If we get that this year could be fun & full of promise.

BW52

Registered
Reaction score

Not me.He got what he wanted.Same for KK.Now earn it.No sympathy at all from me.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes we will have to run the ball. However, last year our lack of weapons, talent, play calling and scheme allowed defenses to sometimes play 9 in the box.

With Murray the defense will HAVE to at least respect his talent. We will see Linebackers hesitate whether to drop or into coverage or play the run. Sometimes they will guess right but when they don’t we will at least have an ability to burn them.

I think we are going to see an increase in chunk plays. Murray’s ability to hit a wr in stride will be huge. Too many times last year we watched wr’s have to stop or reach behind them or go to the ground to make the catch. Even a simple swing pass was a challenge at times.

I don’t believe we will have a hopeless feeling when we are faced with a third an 8 situation. I think Murray and play calling will have the ability to squeeze an extra 5 or 6 first downs per game that were automatic punts last year.

There will be setbacks. There will be failure. There will be stretches where Murray will struggle. There will be some inconsistencies to be expected with a rookie head coach, qb and wr corp.

Finally somehow, someway we need to avoid the major injury bug. Even this o- line will improve with some continuity and growing with Murray. Very few teams could lose as many o- linemen that we did last year. I think we all feel watching this team is not going to be like swallowing castor oil like last year.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Coaching, Murray’s development, how the secondary copes with PP21’s absence, and injuries.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Rookie QBs rarely lead their teams to the playoffs. Last year was the worst prepared and coached team I ever watched. I am just hoping to see an NFL worthy team this season. That would be a big win versus last season.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Rookie QBs rarely lead their teams to the playoffs. Last year was the worst prepared and coached team I ever watched. I am just hoping to see an NFL worthy team this season. That would be a big win versus last season.

Agree 100%. It's one thing to be bad. And yes, we were bad last year. But combining bad, boring, and poorly coached into the equation, and you're left with unwatchable football. I've been watching this team since 1964 & it would be difficult to find a more unwatchable Cardinal team in those 54 years. On paper, we appear to have a tougher schedule. But, you never know until you're into the season as to how teams will pan out. From a win-loss standpoint, I have no expectations. But, I have fairly high expectations that barring major injuries, we will be a fun team to watch.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Moving the chains and being able to maintain the fast pace the offense we hear will play. If they can't do either or both then the offense isn't going to work and the defense will get burned out.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m looking for flashes of explosiveness. The lack of offensive experience likely will result inconsistency. However, if there’s anything to this QB & this offense we should see examples of what they can grow into when polished. If we get that this year could be fun & full of promise.

My thoughts exactly. At no time last year was there any hope that the McCoy offense that was being installed would someday blossom into a relevant NFL offense.

Thus I dub the new 2019 Cardinals offense:

"A New Hope"

:yoda::jedi::newcards:

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Moving the chains and being able to maintain the fast pace the offense we hear will play. If they can't do either or both then the offense isn't going to work and the defense will get burned out.
I don’t see a chip kelly type style of offense. I see a lot of sugar huddles preventing defenses from changing personnel. I see a lot of hurrying to the line to see the defense and then extending the count. I see Kingsbury manipulating match ups on the defense. There were times Kelly’s offense went 3 and out in 45 seconds. That’s not going to be us.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I don’t see a chip kelly type style of offense. I see a lot of sugar huddles preventing defenses from changing personnel. I see a lot of hurrying to the line to see the defense and then extending the count. I see Kingsbury manipulating match ups on the defense. There were times Kelly’s offense went 3 and out in 45 seconds. That’s not going to be us.
Burns and Gambo mentioned Kingsbury wants to 90 - 95 plays a game which equates to running a play every 15 - 20 seconds, if they aren't moving the chains we are in trouble.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
Agree 100%. It's one thing to be bad. And yes, we were bad last year. But combining bad, boring, and poorly coached into the equation, and you're left with unwatchable football. I've been watching this team since 1964 & it would be difficult to find a more unwatchable Cardinal team in those 54 years. On paper, we appear to have a tougher schedule. But, you never know until you're into the season as to how teams will pan out. From a win-loss standpoint, I have no expectations. But, I have fairly high expectations that barring major injuries, we will be a fun team to watch.

That is exactly what we were last year PaCardsFan. Unwatchable.

By the last couple of weeks of the season, I cared so little about the games, I wondered if I was losing my enthusiasm for pro football. It was revolting.

But now were talking about sugar huddles, and mesh plays, and DJ getting the ball in open space. Dammit it's exciting.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson