Worst Football Game You Ever Saw

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I know some of you might have seen a few live but tv games count too. What is the worst game you've ever seen? For me it was...

Thanksgiving 1977. Cards are a part of a logjam at the top of the NFC East with the Cowboys and the Redskins. They headed into Thanksgiving Day at 7-3 and in pretty good shape with 4 games left. They faced the aging Miami Dolphins and their bespectacled QB Bob Griese. The Cards were actually a slight favorite in this game. Win this game and it's the woeful Giants, the Redskins at home, and the horrible Bucs who at this juncture had yet to win the franchises first game. The score was 14-7 at the end of the first quarter and the Cards were still in it but then it all caved in and when all was said and done, the final score was the Dolphins 55 and the Cards 14. They would never recover and as it turned out, this game was the start of a 12 game losing streak that didn't end until week 9 of the 1978 season. The Cards would get embarrassed by the Giants, lose a heartbreaker to the Deadskins, then the ultimate crusher, losing to the previously 1-26 Bucs 17-7 to finish the season at 7-7 and after the season, Don Coryell was fired, Conrad Dobler was traded to the Saints, and Terry Metcalf took off for Canada.

I know some might think that the 58-0 loss @ Seattle was worse but that team had mailed the season in by that point so I went with this one. What is yours? My 2nd choice would be the Cards 10-10 tie @ Philly in '86. Worst most boring game I ever saw live. The only highlight was the Cards sacking Cunningham something like 10 times.

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
How about our 2nd game last year when the Rams embarrassed us 34-0. We totaled a whopping 5 first downs & I'm not sure our offense ever passed midfield. Another absolutely boring game was a Monday Night OT tie back in October 1983 against the NYG. That game will always be remembered for 3 missed OT field goal attempts by Card kicker Neil O'Donoghue.

Osbern61

Insomniac
Reaction score
Lots of nice choices here, but for some reason the game they hosted vs New England in '99 at SDS stands out. They got waxed 27-3 and it wasn't even that close; watching it was just an exercise in boredom and futility.

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Every game from last year and the game against the jets 5-10 years back when we lost like 7-3

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
How about our 2nd game last year when the Rams embarrassed us 34-0. We totaled a whopping 5 first downs & I'm not sure our offense ever passed midfield. Another absolutely boring game was a Monday Night OT tie back in October 1983 against the NYG. That game will always be remembered for 3 missed OT field goal attempts by Card kicker Neil O'Donoghue.
I would put this well ahead of the Redskins game. I refuse to make sweeping assumptions based on just one game regardless how bad it was. The Rams game in week 2 was when reality really set in that week 1 wasn't just a fluke and we were indeed in for a very bad season.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Losing to the winless Rich Kotite coached Jets, was the most awful game I've experienced in person...Then there is the game in San Diego, with Moxie Hall as QB...that was a disgusting road game to witness in person...and last, but certainly not least, there is witnessing Bono breaking off a 70 yard TD.

Yup, those are all probably the most puke inducing games I've had the displeasure of attending.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That Giants vs. Cards debacle earns my vote. (Close second would be the majority of games last season).

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Worst game I ever went to was the 45-14 loss to the Saints in the playoffs, Warner's last game. Took an early lead at 7-0 and then got throttled the rest of the game.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
In terms of entertainment combined with embarrassment? 2012 58-0. Also, Week 2’s clubbing against the Rams is up there (I was in attendance).

BurqueCardFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I would put this well ahead of the Redskins game. I refuse to make sweeping assumptions based on just one game regardless how bad it was. The Rams game in week 2 was when reality really set in that week 1 wasn't just a fluke and we were indeed in for a very bad season.

The fact that puts the Redskins game ahead in my eyes is the fact that it was opening day at home. We came into town to watch that game and after, I knew this staff/team had no heart. In years past we would always put up a fight at home, even when we were the underdog. But after seeing the lack of heart and effort on that opening day game I knew we were in trouble.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Where to start? For me right here in Chicago. Last game of the season. Bears needed to win to get into the playoffs. Terrible snowstorm the night before. Soldier Field staff did not have time to shovel the stands. Cold and windy as hell. We got our asses handed to us. I think it was 42-6. I left at halftime.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Every game from last year and the game against the jets 5-10 years back when we lost like 7-3

What about the year the Cardinals gifted the 1-15 Jets their only victory?

I'd add all the starts by Ryan Lindley. I've never seen a QB I believed in LESS. You could figure out he was not an NFL QB in about 2 mins of watching him in one game.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
In terms of entertainment combined with embarrassment? 2012 58-0. Also, Week 2’s clubbing against the Rams is up there (I was in attendance).

Pete Carroll made a comment right at half time about being able to put up 80 points on the Cardinals or something like that. He was laughing. Fark that guy. Not cool to laugh in a situation like that.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
2015 NFC Championship. That was the most miserable game I've ever watched.

Yeah that game was horrible. It happens though.

The Cardinals thoroughly embarrassed the Panthers during their Super Bowl run. Ask your dad, Panthers fans talked about that beat down for years.

OP
OP
NJCardFan

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yeah that game was horrible. It happens though.

The Cardinals thoroughly embarrassed the Panthers during their Super Bowl run. Ask your dad, Panthers fans talked about that beat down for years.
That was pretty much the end of Delhomme. He was never the same after that. What I loved about that game is that Daryl Johsnton was openly rooting for the Panthers the entire game to the point that it wouldn't surprise me if he was wearing a Panthers jersey and he kept on droning on how any minute now the Cards were going to blow it.

OP
OP
NJCardFan

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Another absolutely boring game was a Monday Night OT tie back in October 1983 against the NYG. That game will always be remembered for 3 missed OT field goal attempts by Card kicker Neil O'Donoghue.
That was actually not a bad game and it was bizarre to boot. O'Donamiss missing a 19 yard FG in OT was icing on the cake.

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lots of nice choices here, but for some reason the game they hosted vs New England in '99 at SDS stands out. They got waxed 27-3 and it wasn't even that close; watching it was just an exercise in boredom and futility.

Yeah, I was there for that hot mess too. I think there was a Dolphin game with Marino that had a similar result. My wife being a Bronco fan, we went to the Thurs night game last year, I don't remember the score and I don't want to.

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah, I was there for that hot mess too. I think there was a Dolphin game with Marino that had a similar result. My wife being a Bronco fan, we went to the Thurs night game last year, I don't remember the score and I don't want to.
Do you want to remember our QB being in a walking boot after the game?:(:bang:
Total mishandling of a rookie QB during a blow out.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
I was at the thanksgiving massacre in Philly.

Others:
NFC Title game in 2015
Lindley Playoff game
Bears Monday night.
Patriots in the snow.
Seahawks drubbing in Seattle.
The Steve Bono game.
New Orleans in the playoffs. #BountyGate

Too damn many to count really.

Last edited:

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Also there was a gm vs patriots i believe graham was qb didnt pass midfielde till late 4th lol anyone remember that gm?

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose