Build your All Time Suns team

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Your team wouldn’t score 80 on my team (although Chuck would score quite a bit on himself :p).
EJ would definitely score on Marion. Booker would get more determined to score the more Raja tried to rough him up!

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
I saw this on Twitter and thought it was fun.

You must be registered for see images attach

I don't agree with some of the values and listed positions. But give it a shot. Disregard positions if you want.

Barkley is a must for me as well as either one of Nash or KJ.

My best were:
KJ, Horny, Majerle, Barkley, and West.
Total 90s Suns fantasy team having Barkley w/o losing Horny.

I also liked, Nash, Raja, Majerle, Barkley, and West.

That graphic is disrespectful to Marbury.
There is no way Dragic should be on there ahead of him.

I would probably also put Grant Hill on that list ahead of Ceballos and there has to be someone better than Raja, maybe Penny even if he was almost never fit to play.

Kidd 3$
Booker 4$
Majerle 3$
Nance 2$
Ayton 3$

I just looked at the value. Kidd for 3$ is a bargain because he was better than KJ. Booker is so much better than all the other shooting guard options. Nance at 2$ is an allstar and Ayton should be better than Amare.

Last edited:

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I would probably also put Grant Hill on that list ahead of Ceballos and there has to be someone better than Raja, maybe Penny even if he was almost never fit to play.

Kidd 3$
Booker 4$
Majerle 3$
Nance 2$
Ayton 3$

I'm not a Dragic defender but I disagree. Marbury was the king of empty stats. He got assists but he wasn't a gifted passer, he earned them by domination possession time, he was a lousy shooter and offenses he ran were typically lousy and he hardly tried on defense.

It wasn't a coincidence that teams consistently improved by ridding themselves of him.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Kidd 3$
Booker 4$
Majerle 3$
Nance 2$
Ayton 3$

Or just move Majerle to SG in place of Raja and add Grant Hill at SF for $2, keeping Ceballos at $1. Hill was more versatile and deserves a higher ranking than Ceballos.

Mark West's inclusion is a head scratcher also. I know he had some longevity but he sucked. Shaq was an All-Star here, and Gortat is more deserving than West based on their impact on the court.

I'm not a Dragic defender but I disagree. Marbury was the king of empty stats. He got assists but he wasn't a gifted passer, he earned them by domination possession time, he was a lousy shooter and offenses he ran were typically lousy and he hardly tried on defense.

It wasn't a coincidence that teams consistently improved by ridding themselves of him.

Marbury led the Suns to the playoffs, Dragic didn't. That gives Marbury the edge, IMO. Marbury was consistently better than Dragic, who only had 1 really good year in Phoenix.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think it's debatable but I'd take Booker over Westy especially for today's NBA. And keep in mind, Booker, right now, is actually a few months younger than Paul was when Westphal played his first NBA game.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
At least Marbury lead his Suns teams to the playoffs which Dragic never did.
That's a bit disingenuous. Marbury's best season with the Suns was a 44-38 season, Dragic's best was 48-34. The only reason the Suns missed the playoff's in Dragic's best year here was because the west was insanely deep that year.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd take Booker over Westphal because his stats suggest he will be a much better player.

Westy had five 20+ point seasons and Booker already has three at the ripe old age of 22.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's a bit disingenuous. Marbury's best season with the Suns was a 44-38 season, Dragic's best was 48-34. The only reason the Suns missed the playoff's in Dragic's best year here was because the west was insanely deep that year.

The "only reason" might but a stretch but I agree with you overall. Dragic did everything you could ask of him that season. But I'm pretty sure that we make the playoffs that year if our best player (sometimes called our 2nd best player) didn't miss half that season.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
The "only reason" might but a stretch but I agree with you overall. Dragic did everything you could ask of him that season. But I'm pretty sure that we make the playoffs that year if our best player (sometimes called our 2nd best player) didn't miss half that season.
I was more explaining why that record wasn't good enough, but yes the team could have won more games if they were healthier, but injuries are something that every team has to deal with and despite the injuries Dragic lead that team to 48 wins and that would have been good enough to make the playoffs almost any other season.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was more explaining why that record wasn't good enough, but yes the team could have won more games if they were healthier, but injuries are something that every team has to deal with and despite the injuries Dragic lead that team to 48 wins and that would have been good enough to make the playoffs almost any other season.

I actually figured you meant it that way, I was just trying to head off a response challenging your entire post over a trivial issue.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
I'd take Booker over Westphal because his stats suggest he will be a much better player.

Westy had five 20+ point seasons and Booker already has three at the ripe old age of 22.

Quite possibly... but it's really an apple and oranges kind of thing. Different era, different situations. Not many guys came out of college early then, and very, very few before the age of 21 or so. And Westphal was a backup in Boston for a couple years before getting his chance to star in Phoenix, so he was about five years behind Booker's opportunity to star.

But no doubt, certainly at the current moment, Booker is on a greater upward arc than Westy was at this juncture of his career. Booker may well end up having the greater career. But who knows how Westphal might have ultimately finished if he hadn't blown up his knee in Seattle.

I still think Westphal was probably the better overall player at his peak, but Booker hasn't yet reach his peak, so he may well exceed Westphal in both accomplishment and longevity.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Quite possibly... but it's really an apple and oranges kind of thing. Different era, different situations. Not many guys came out of college early then, and very, very few before the age of 21 or so. And Westphal was a backup in Boston for a couple years before getting his chance to star in Phoenix, so he was about five years behind Booker's opportunity to star.

But no doubt, certainly at the current moment, Booker is on a greater upward arc than Westy was at this juncture of his career. Booker may well end up having the greater career. But who knows how Westphal might have ultimately finished if he hadn't blown up his knee in Seattle.

I still think Westphal was probably the better overall player at his peak, but Booker hasn't yet reach his peak, so he may well exceed Westphal in both accomplishment and longevity.

It's mostly something to talk about. Comparing players from different eras is never fair.

Although Suns fans lament the Rick Robey for Dennis Johnson trade with the Celtics, the Suns may have bested the Celtics in trading for Paul Westphal and Joe Johnson.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
It's mostly something to talk about. Comparing players from different eras is never fair.

Although Suns fans lament the Rick Robey for Dennis Johnson trade with the Celtics, the Suns may have bested the Celtics in trading for Paul Westphal and Joe Johnson.

Yes, indeed. Jerry C. made a ton of great trades in his years here, including those.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score

The reason the Suns missed the playoffs that year was because Bledsoe who was until then the best player on the team got injured. After that the Suns had a losing or even record and fell out of the playoff picture.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
The reason the Suns missed the playoffs that year was because Bledsoe who was until then the best player on the team got injured. After that the Suns had a losing or even record and fell out of the playoff picture.
Still doesn't explain away your giving praise to Marbury for making the playoffs when Dragic didn't. Ultimately Dragic lead a team that won more games than any team that Marbury was a part of and he did it with his running mate out for half the season. Also the team being better when Bledsoe was healthy doesn't take anything away from Dragic as many lesser players would have failed to keep the team afloat with a .500 record with their best or 2nd best player out for half the season.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Still doesn't explain away your giving praise to Marbury for making the playoffs when Dragic didn't. Ultimately Dragic lead a team that won more games than any team that Marbury was a part of and he did it with his running mate out for half the season. Also the team being better when Bledsoe was healthy doesn't take anything away from Dragic as many lesser players would have failed to keep the team afloat with a .500 record with their best or 2nd best player out for half the season.

Slin, like many others, has certain players he doesn't like. When he doesn't like someone, it is completely irrational and over the top. Dragic just happens to be one of those players.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Sure, that's true - but, even intact, that was a very flawed roster so to play .500 ball minus your best player is no small feat.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Meanwhile when teams rid themselves of Marbury they improved.