My Case As To Why The Cards Will Not Have As Bad A Season As Most Experts Predict

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Because, frankly, we can't get any worse that's why. Last season was a train wreck. You can forgive a new coach for taking the team backwards for a season if they're trying to instill a new system but Wilks had no system or direction. To me he simply threw stuff against the wall hoping something would stick.
You can very literally get worse. We picked the best way to get worse.

• We retained the GM who led us into this mess in the first place.
  • 2018 was a useless draft class besides maybe Christian Kirk.
  • We hired a college coach who couldn't win there, and has only had one winning season.
  • The number one overall draft pick was used on a historically short QB with limited playing experience, who was going to play baseball until a few months ago.

Last season, we were a train wreck, as you say, but the difference between us being a 6 win team and a three win team was ten points.

We can definitely get better, but we can get astronomically worse than last year. I think that anyone who believes last year's team was the worst in Arizona Cardinals history just isn't really thinking clearly about how bad it was in the 90s.

AZCrazy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
We're going to be much better provided we don't get slaughtered more than the league average in injuries.

Timm Rosenbach

Bye Bye DJ
Reaction score
I would have felt a great deal better had Patrick Peterson not been suspended. Would have been a nice opportunity for a great start. But I am still hopeful. More so, I am excited to see the offense

OP
OP
NJCardFan

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

• We hired a college coach who couldn't win there, and has only had one winning season.
  • The number one overall draft pick was used on a historically short QB with limited playing experience, who was going to play baseball until a few months ago.

Last season, we were a train wreck, as you say, but the difference between us being a 6 win team and a three win team was ten points.

We can definitely get better, but we can get astronomically worse than last year. I think that anyone who believes last year's team was the worst in Arizona Cardinals history just isn't really thinking clearly about how bad it was in the 90s.
And the difference between being a 3 win team and a 1 win team or a 0 win team was an injured QB and a dysfunctional Packers team. Also, while I share your concern about KK, Joe Torre was a so so manager at best. Until he found the right team and now he's a legend. As for the Cards in the 90's, I've been watching this team since 1975 and last years team was by far the worst I've ever seen. It isn't even close and it's not even an argument. Last year's team was lethargic, lost, and for the lack of a better term a ***********. As bad as McGuinnis' teams, the 2000 team(the last team to go 3-12) would have kicked the crap out of last year's team.

Delmar M Lewis

All Star
Reaction score
Yep. Six wins along with being somewhat competitive HAS to be the hard line for this team. I think if the team goes 5-11, that's not enough progress to justify keeping Keim for additional seasons. If we win less than six, that's solid evidence that the QB/HC combo that people have sold us as being revolutionary is a farce.
2 things are certain the front off has its proverbial neck stuck out on this one and 2. Injuries can and will play a major role as the season progresses just the same as they play a major role for every NFL team

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

LOL

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
And the difference between being a 3 win team and a 1 win team or a 0 win team was an injured QB and a dysfunctional Packers team. Also, while I share your concern about KK, Joe Torre was a so so manager at best. Until he found the right team and now he's a legend. As for the Cards in the 90's, I've been watching this team since 1975 and last years team was by far the worst I've ever seen. It isn't even close and it's not even an argument. Last year's team was lethargic, lost, and for the lack of a better term a ***********. As bad as McGuinnis' teams, the 2000 team(the last team to go 3-12) would have kicked the crap out of last year's team.

Agreed. Last years team was so iept. So painfully, poorly coached.

SoCal Cardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Everyone knows how I feel, so I won't harp on it too much but to say I don't understand how anyone can say we are clearly better talent-wise or coaching-wise.

The vast majority of our key additions are brand new to professional football. I'm totally worried that if we think we saw a deer in the headlights look last year from Wilks, that we're gonna see a "I just got pistol whipped" look from KK when an experienced NFL coach takes him to the woodshed.

Maybe it won't happen, but the overall lack of NFL experience here scares me.

We honestly couldn't be any worse than Wilkes and Co....

If we win less games this year than last, I would be shocked!......
And anxiously awaiting Keim's firing.....Actually, If we don't make the playoffs this year, I want Keim gone, if for no other reason....The pile of early draft picks we blew picking the wrong QB (again)

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
You're nuts if you think that, and probably didn't actually watch those games, or blocked them out.

The best players on that team were Plummer, Boston, and Rice, and only one of the three had any business being a quasi-star in the league for any point in time.

We had Fitzgerald, Peterson, Jones, DJ, etc.

Star players in the NFL. The coaching sucked, but the late 90s/early 2000s Cardinals we're consistently starting undrafted rookie free agents.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
You're nuts if you think that, and probably didn't actually watch those games, or blocked them out.

The best players on that team were Plummer, Boston, and Rice, and only one of the three had any business being a quasi-star in the league for any point in time.

Star players in the NFL. The coaching sucked, but the late 90s/early 2000s Cardinals we're consistently starting undrafted rookie free agents.

Right...and last year was a worse team.

<-------- point

You

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

Wilks and Co were that incompetent that they took a team with a few hall of Famer or borderline hall of famers and were worse than Dave Macs teams.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

As a baseball Cardinal fan, you're absolutely dead on about Torre. An absolute average manager with average talent (Cardinals) & a HOF manager with talent (Yankees). I think last year's team was the most unwatchable offensive Cardinal team I have ever seen. In an NFL where the rules favor the offense, that alone was a recipe for disaster. And we saw disaster up close & personal. The D was a major disappointment, in large part due to moving to a 4-3. But, also because our offense had the most 3 and outs than any team in NFL history. Comparing last year to McGuinnis's teams is hard to do. Both were awful.

OP
OP
NJCardFan

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
As a baseball Cardinal fan, you're absolutely dead on about Torre. An absolute average manager with average talent (Cardinals) & a HOF manager with talent (Yankees). I think last year's team was the most unwatchable offensive Cardinal team I have ever seen. In an NFL where the rules favor the offense, that alone was a recipe for disaster. And we saw disaster up close & personal. The D was a major disappointment, in large part due to moving to a 4-3. But, also because our offense had the most 3 and outs than any team in NFL history. Comparing last year to McGuinnis's teams is hard to do. Both were awful.
Torre had success in Atlanta and St. Louis but only marginal success but if we're being honest, you could have put a chair in the dugout with those Yankee teams and won.

OP
OP
NJCardFan

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Um, I was living in AZ at the time, genius. And I've spent more time taking a dump during Cardinal games then you have actually watching them.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Using the baseball comparison, instead of using Joe Torre, I'll use Casey Stengel (Sp?). He was a so-so manager of the Dodgers, but became a Yankee legend. Joe Torre had a much better resume prior to the Yankees. JMO.

OP
OP
NJCardFan

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Using the baseball comparison, instead of using Joe Torre, I'll use Casey Stengel (Sp?). He was a so-so manager of the Dodgers, but became a Yankee legend. Joe Torre had a much better resume prior to the Yankees. JMO.
Actually, a more contemporary comparison would be Terry Francona. He was mediocre at best in Philly but did the impossible in Boston and now he has the Indians as a perennial contender.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Torre had success in Atlanta and St. Louis but only marginal success but if we're being honest, you could have put a chair in the dugout with those Yankee teams and won.

???

Torre's every day and all-important job was managing the egos from Steinbrenner down. He earned his accolades.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I see no reason why we can't have a similar season to McVays first year with the Rams.

I dont think they will, but I think they can.

Humphries playing for a contract finally stays healthy and becomes the LT he has shown in glimpses.

Kirk takes the next step and one of Isabella/Butler/Johnson has a good rookie year.

DJ bounces back and is a good fit as the do it all K Raid back.

Suggs, Hicks, and the defensive newcomers play well and the defense is able to play consistently well.

Delmar M Lewis

All Star
Reaction score

To say it's a make or definite break season for Keim and the front office is a complete understatement

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson