OT- Around the NFL 2019-20

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
And yet, everyone on here supports the sport.

I do, but it has to change. That's what I said above.

What is our moral imperative as fans? I'd accept massive changes to the game to accommodate significant safety improvements.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

What is our moral imperative as fans? I'd accept massive changes to the game to accommodate significant safety improvements.
Unless someone dies on the field, I don’t see football ever dying. Especially with the rules shying away from devastating collision. 10 years or 50 years from now.

This is a very sad way to look at it, but there will always be boys that come from very unfortunate backgrounds that have top athletic abilities, but don’t have the height to play basketball or patience to play baseball, will see football as their safe-gate to success. I seen this way too much, especially in areas like a South Florida, Central Texas, & South California.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Unless someone dies on the field, I don’t see football ever dying. Especially with the rules shying away from devastating collision. 10 years or 50 years from now.

This is a very sad way to look at it, but there will always be boys that come from very unfortunate backgrounds that have top athletic abilities, but don’t have the height to play basketball or patience to play baseball, will see football as their safe-gate to success. I seen this way too much, especially in areas like a South Florida, Central Texas, & South California.

It's worse in places like South Carolina where abject poverty is the norm, especially amongst black people.

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Adam Schefter‏Verified account @AdamSchefter 1h1 hour ago
NFL will not discipline Chiefs’ WR Tyreek Hill, who was accused of assaulting his son. League could not find evidence he did; it will leave open case if further evidence emerges, but Hill is free to report to camp, practice and play this season.
So nobody broke this kid's arm? He admitted in that taped conversation with his baby mama that he punches the kid in the chest calling it "tough love" and that's not evidence enough? The NFL is a joke. And this whole thing was botched all around. This poor kid has been going through hell with this monster and neither the Kansas City authorities or the NFL feel it's better that the Chiefs not lose a star player rather than protect a child. At least MLB did it right in the Odubel Herrera case when, even though charges were dropped against him they suspended him for 85 games but the NFL, break a kid's arm, meh.

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Do you feel the same way about MMA and boxing? Those are 2 sports who's objective is to either beat your opponent unconscious or in MMA's case you can deprive your opponent's brain of oxygen to the point of unconsciousness, beat them unconscious, or bend a part of their body in a way it's not supposed to bend in order to get them to submit. This is far more brutal than football. In fact, there have been actual deaths attributed to boxing but the sport still exists. And these sports bring in billions every year. Are you saying that those fans are morally bankrupt? Again, I'm not ripping you, just trying to gauge your logic on how football and the injuries are such a moral dilemma when there are sports where the desired outcome is to inflict as much physical damage to your opponent.

OP
OP
Ronin

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
So nobody broke this kid's arm? He admitted in that taped conversation with his baby mama that he punches the kid in the chest calling it "tough love" and that's not evidence enough? The NFL is a joke. And this whole thing was botched all around. This poor kid has been going through hell with this monster and neither the Kansas City authorities or the NFL feel it's better that the Chiefs not lose a star player rather than protect a child. At least MLB did it right in the Odubel Herrera case when, even though charges were dropped against him they suspended him for 85 games but the NFL, break a kid's arm, meh.
And the Cherry on the top?!
The chiefs are now trying to sign Hill to a new contract.
https://bleacherreport.com/articles...reek-hill-contract-after-wr-avoids-suspension

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...l-contract-negotiations-could-resume-quickly/

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Do you feel the same way about MMA and boxing? Those are 2 sports who's objective is to either beat your opponent unconscious or in MMA's case you can deprive your opponent's brain of oxygen to the point of unconsciousness, beat them unconscious, or bend a part of their body in a way it's not supposed to bend in order to get them to submit. This is far more brutal than football. In fact, there have been actual deaths attributed to boxing but the sport still exists. And these sports bring in billions every year. Are you saying that those fans are morally bankrupt? Again, I'm not ripping you, just trying to gauge your logic on how football and the injuries are such a moral dilemma when there are sports where the desired outcome is to inflict as much physical damage to your opponent.

I do. It's just a feeling I've gotten from seeing the effects that it has on other human beings and their families.

Is our entertainment worth ruining lives?

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I do. It's just a feeling I've gotten from seeing the effects that it has on other human beings and their families.

Is our entertainment worth ruining lives?
It's nothing new. And no one has a gun to their heads to do these things. Same goes for these daredevils like Evel Knievel. Or race car drivers. More people have died in NASCAR wrecks than died on the football field. IMO, the NFL needs to be completely honest with players but players need to sign some kind of release understanding the risks.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Ian Rapoport (@RapSheet)
7/22/19, 11:05 AM
Sources: #Seahawks standout DL Jarran Reed is being suspended 6 games for a violation of the NFL's personal conduct policy for an incident from early 2017. He was not charged or arrested. His appeal was denied Friday morning. Huge on-field impact.

The Seahawks were REALLY relying on him keeping up his level of play from 2018. Huge blow, especially considering they moved on from Frank Clark and replaced Clark with a reach (LJ Collier) and the corpse of Ansah.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
It's nothing new. And no one has a gun to their heads to do these things. Same goes for these daredevils like Evel Knievel. Or race car drivers. More people have died in NASCAR wrecks than died on the football field. IMO, the NFL needs to be completely honest with players but players need to sign some kind of release understanding the risks.

No one is holding a gun to their head? The NFL LIED to players for many years about the risks of concussions. LIED. There is no way around what the league did, and the concussion settlement was a joke if you look at what the prior generations of players really needed.

It's not about "dying on the field". It's about their life expectancy after the game. Have you ever seen the life expectancy of an NFL offensive lineman? It's like 54 years old, or something crazy young.

I think the NFL needs to improve their pension and offer healthcare for life after playing a few years.

OP
OP
Ronin

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
No one is holding a gun to their head? The NFL LIED to players for many years about the risks of concussions. LIED. There is no way around what the league did, and the concussion settlement was a joke if you look at what the prior generations of players really needed.

It's not about "dying on the field". It's about their life expectancy after the game. Have you ever seen the life expectancy of an NFL offensive lineman? It's like 54 years old, or something crazy young.

I think the NFL needs to improve their pension and offer healthcare for life after playing a few years.
You must be registered for see images attach

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Can you imagine the heat Keim would be taking if he drafted Bosa #1 and then he got immediately injured AND was holding out almost into August?

When he was drafted, it was assumed that Bosa would hold out.

It's a bonus vs. offset language issue. Apparently, the Niners have offset language in all of their 1st round pick contracts. Joey Bosa held out with the Chargers over the same thing. Joey B ended up getting a bigger than average bonus as the compromise. The current Niners cap managers are pretty good; they really stress having team friendly contracts and haven't budged from that stance. This holdout could last most of the way through training camp.

Nick has quite a bit of injury risk, same as his brother AND his dad. If the Cardinals hadn't gone Murray, I was convinced that Q Williams was the best option because of this, even though I think Nick Bosa can be a fantastic overall defensive football player. I don't think he's ever going to be a top pass rusher, but I think he's going to be a Justin Smith type of guy that can be equally disruptive as a pass rusher and run stopper.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score

I had to look at their pension plan, it really isn't very good and you are absolutely right they should have their healthcare needs taken care of for the rest of their lives.

https://firstquarterfinance.com/nfl-pension-plan-retirement-plan/

Typical age requirements apply for former NFL players to be paid retirement benefits — players must be 55 years old to receive money from their pension. If players want money earlier, they can choose to receive benefits from the annuity program as early as age 35. So, even though players retire at a young age, the full NFL retirement benefits can’t all be accessed right away.

NFL pension value increases periodically and is the same for all players regardless of salary. Currently, a player with the minimum three years of play would receive an
annual pension check of $21,360 at retirement. On average, retired players receive an annual pension check of about $43,000.

Now the 401K with the NFL matching 2 for 1 for every dollar invested is pretty good but the fact is NFL careers are so short they don't have a lot of time to build up their 401K balance.

This is why it is important that these players are wise with their money and don't spend like crazy and expect that lifestyle to last forever.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
What team is being hyped that I think is going to not be very good? The Baltimore Ravens.

That report that came out earlier in the off season when the team reported to OTAs and Lamar Jackson was surprised that they had a new offense....very alarming that the guy they believed would be their franchise QB was surprised that they were changing offenses.

Lamar Jackson is a below average NFL passer. The Ravens are still quite weak at WR. They lost most of their pass rush from last season, and the heart and soul of the defense (CJ Mosley). I think they are the third best team in the NFC North by a good margin, and probably win six games.

My surprise team? The Buffalo Bills. I don't think the unseat the Patriots, but I think they have a good, solid, deep team and they will challenge for a wild card spot.

I think the Chiefs step down a bit with all the defensive defections. 11-5.

I think the Tampa Buccaneers aren't very good. I think Winston won't be able to match what Palmer did, and their running game will be too weak to compensate. 7-9.

The Packers are going to bounce back and go 10-6, the Bears are going to go 9-7 (because the Bears rarely put together back-to-back really good years).

I see the NFC West playing out like this:

Rams (12-4)
Seahawks (10-6)
Niners (8-8)
Cardinals (7-9, 3 wins in the NFC West)

The Rams stay around the same, the Seahawks around the same. The Niners win more, but I think they realize this year that Garappolo isn't the franchise savior and is more in line with Andy Dalton.

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The life expectancy of a corrections officer is 58(meaning I have about 4 years to live) but no one seems to care about that but I digress. Again, I'm not ripping you but anyone who doesn't think that this is a dangerous sport, I really don't know what to say. And, yes, no one is putting a gun to anyone's head to play this game. If you have evidence to the contrary I'd love to see it.

wit3card

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I just saw on nfl live the 49ers have two draft picks (Debo & Bosa) holding out atm.:shock:

Bosa was quite clear, his brother already wanted a full guaranteed contract so may the little one.

If he plays half a season good this year, that would already be a win for the 49ers