Dbacks Hall not sure if team is going to sellers or buyers

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That is what is frustrating about this team - just a few games out of top WC spot, but for what?

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is standing pat an option?

Go for the wildcard but don't sacrifice any future assets unless you are blown away on an offer for Peralta

That's probably the best option - if a great offer for Ray/Peralta comes over, do it, if not, just play out the season and see what happens.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Go for the wildcard but don't sacrifice any future assets unless you are blown away on an offer for Peralta

That's probably the best option - if a great offer for Ray/Peralta comes over, do it, if not, just play out the season and see what happens.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
That's probably the best option - if a great offer for Ray/Peralta/Greinke comes over, or if a palatable offer for Jones, Lamb and/or Holland comes over, do it, if not, just play out the season and see what happens.

FIFY.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I could live with those as well.

Trading Lamb could give Cron another shot at the bigs.

Trading Jones and/or Peralta could allow Tomas to see if he can hit at the MLB level.

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Don't trade Greinke or Peralta is all i ask.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Standing pat out of the break is the play. I would entertain offers for Peralta and Greinke but they have to be good prospect trades. I am not making a move until right before the deadline unless something is too good to pass up.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
I think Peralta needs to stay healthy for a few games, before he'll garner a decent haul. same for Lamb.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Ronin

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Jon Heyman (@JonHeyman)
7/19/19, 11:37 AM
Belief is that if they sell Dbacks would be willing to pay down — perhaps by 10M/year — the 80M remaining on Greinke through 2021, depending the return of course. Greinke remains a top starter, but wIth 15-team no-trade list and belief he prefers to stay, deal not overly likely.

clpp01

Reaction score
Jon Heyman (@JonHeyman)
7/19/19, 11:37 AM
Belief is that if they sell Dbacks would be willing to pay down — perhaps by 10M/year — the 80M remaining on Greinke through 2021, depending the return of course. Greinke remains a top starter, but wIth 15-team no-trade list and belief he prefers to stay, deal not overly likely.

I think Heyman's numbers are a little off. Greinke has about 60 million left through 2021 with approx 10 million left this year give or take a little and then 25 million a year for '20 & '21. Problem with Greinke which is where his trade value nose dives is that the club had to do some creative accounting in order to sign him so even after his contract expires in 2021 the Dbacks thanks to deferring nearly a 1/3rd of his salary every year will still be paying him over 12 million a year between 2022-2026.

Azjose86

Veteran
Reaction score
I think at some point this team needs to look at themselves and evaluate who is at fault for the pitching/bullpen issues.

Is it the Gm failing to get players? The manager for not using them properly or the pitching coach for failing to get them ready?

In addition, they have to realize that this is a .500 team and without making changes they will continue to be that. They need to make some changes to pump new life into this team and prospects that can help the future of this team.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
They are in such a weird place imo. They are squarely .500. Haven’t had long losing streaks where they were substantially below .500 or win streaks where they were substantially above .500. But even if teams ahead of them in the standings won the games they have not yet played to equal the dbacks games played they’d be no worse than 2 games back. And they’ve got the best run differential of wildcard contenders. And they’ve played the least amount of home games (although their record at home is obviously less than stellar) of the wildcard contenders - a lot less then some of the others. But it doesn’t seem, as currently constructed, that they are likely to go on a run to end the year - and I think that’s what the two teams that eventually secure the wildcards are going to do. Just a weird year/team/position to be at trade deadline.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
This team will collapse down the stretch if they do not shore up the bullpen. Our bullpen is the main reason we aren't running away with the wild card. Another dependable SP wouldn't hurt to go with Greinke only problem is the good 3 month rentals all play for contenders. There is no reason to start dipping into the farm now that it potentially could be the best in baseball in a year or two if our top prospects continue their rapid development. I say just play out with what we got, they are at least entertaining enough to keep out attention plus you won't get any decent returns for guys like Jones, Holland or Dyson so might as well just let their deals expire and hope they end the year strong because they are going to be playing hard for a contract next year.

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
Yes we are close to the last wildcard spot but with 4 -5 teams ahead of us, the odds are not in our favor. The math is not in our favor.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Getting starting pitching will do no good with our bullpen. I agree with several of the above posters that said we have to shore up our bullpen.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
2.5 games out with two teams between them and the WC spots. Not optimal. At this point the only solution to make the postseason is to buy bullpen and, imo, buy a few pieces for the bullpen...not just one.

As I have stated before, I think the question is are you willing to give up some minor league pieces in order to have a one game WC and then likely getting dispatched easily in the second round?

Praxis

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Keep Marte, Kelly, Weaver and trade pretty much everyone else.

Azjose86

Veteran
Reaction score
Keep Marte, Kelly, Weaver and trade pretty much everyone else.
That's a bit excessive. Escobar, Locastro, Young, Walker (I've hated on him, but he's not terrible with a huge ceiling), Dyson, ahmed are all pretty solid players you could build with. I think if healthy, our starters with Weaver, Young, Kelly, greinke are pretty good. If they could trade Ray for some young prospects. They need bullpen help and there's no one in the bullpen that should be off limits.

Praxis

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
That's a bit excessive. Escobar, Locastro, Young, Walker (I've hated on him, but he's not terrible with a huge ceiling), Dyson, ahmed are all pretty solid players you could build with. I think if healthy, our starters with Weaver, Young, Kelly, greinke are pretty good. If they could trade Ray for some young prospects. They need bullpen help and there's no one in the bullpen that should be off limits.

Everyone besides Marte should be available. I guess that's what I meant to say.