Just watched OU/O-State

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
couple of things I noticed was OU used the counter trey quite often. If that is any indication of our offense our Offensive tackles better be in shape. I also noticed when the guard and tackle pulled they headed upfield at various points. Sometime all the way across to outside the opposite tackle and sometimes up the middle. I’d venture to say over 1/2 the time. Not many power dives between the tackles.

Couple of things about Murray. Aside from what we already know about his quickness and arm strength, he is very innovative. He did have wide open receivers but many other times he could have taken the easy dump off but instead he found a somewhat covered wr downfield for a sizeable gain and his throw was right on the money. I also observed even when his receivers were covered he either didn’t throw it or he threw it where only his receiver had any chance of making the catch.

That being said Murray is only going to excel ( beyond expectations) with a decent running game. I expect our running game will be vastly improved with play calling, play design and the threat of Murray’s talent. I think many of our big plays will be a direct result of Murray’s ability to extend the play. Short and intermediate crossing patterns will also be a big part of what we do. Murray will take his shots downfield but it doesn’t appear he will be reckless.

I doubt anything mentioned above is earth shattering or ground breaking news. But I’m wondering if anyone else has any expectations of what we are going to see.

OP
OP
slanidrac16

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Remember that OKSt didn’t play defense against anyone.
I know. But there were plenty of times Murray could have made mistakes but he didn’t. He took a couple of sacks. He ran out of bounds and slid every time. He didn’t throw into coverage. The one mental mistake he made was as the half was running out he let the clock run out. He was fundamentally sound thru out the game.

blindseyed

I'm saying you ARE stuck in Wichita
Reaction score
Not bashing him but I saw almost no pressure and wide open WRs but none of that matters because all I care about is how he translates all this into the Pros where it will be a whole different beast....and we will see very shortly , finally looking forward to football again!

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Freaking fun and exciting. No expectations just think we will be solid and super fun.
I second that lol. I don't have any expectations either, however I do think they have enough talent to go 8-8. If we can catch a break or two maybe more? I agree on the fun to watch part, last season it was unbearable to watch.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
I second that lol. I don't have any expectations either, however I do think they have enough talent to go 8-8. If we can catch a break or two maybe more? I agree on the fun to watch part, last season it was unbearable to watch.

I see a seven win team tops, but not a 'awful' exciting team... we have more talent which the Wilks debacle cloak

Timm Rosenbach

Bye Bye DJ
Reaction score
Not bashing him but I saw almost no pressure and wide open WRs but none of that matters because all I care about is how he translates all this into the Pros where it will be a whole different beast....and we will see very shortly , finally looking forward to football again!

I am really excited too. Clearly the O-line is not our strength but I think that KK will be able to “manufacture” blocking through scheme. Very excited. Will either be at the first game or in Vegas that weekend for sure

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score

You know what? I'd settle for fun to watch, definitely.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave