Bikepacking

Hollywood

is part black.
Reaction score
Mesa, Arizona, USA, Planet Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
My brother invited me to come with him and his son on a bikepacking trip through Flagstaff next weekend. Camping for me has always been in a truck with a truckload of stuff. He has a bike I can use and suggested I get a hammock tent and fly, Camelbak and a lightweight mummy bag. I have a hammock and plan on getting the other stuff this weekend.

Anyone have any suggestions on other equipment I might need or experience they would like to share?

LVG

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
My brother invited me to come with him and his son on a bikepacking trip through Flagstaff next weekend. Camping for me has always been in a truck with a truckload of stuff. He has a bike I can use and suggested I get a hammock tent and fly, Camelbak and a lightweight mummy bag. I have a hammock and plan on getting the other stuff this weekend.

Anyone have any suggestions on other equipment I might need or experience they would like to share?

Drawing off of my backpacking experiences and just being exposed to some bikepacking in general:

Depending on temperatures, you may need an underquilt for your hammock. You can get by with a lightweight backpacking tarp and cordage for a fly. Make sure your hammock has a bug net.

As for a mummy bag, during summer (again, temperatures depending - check the NWS's UDAF for a location specific forecast per night especially if you're going to have large elevation changes) you should be able to get by with a basic synthetic summer bag, EN comfort rated to 50F. (Remember, EN ratings account for wearing a baselayer and sleeping on a pad, so you'll probably still need an underquilt).

Who's bringing the stove? Do you need to bring yours (and if you do, do you have an MSR or Jetboil)? And, who's doing the meal plan? Are you expected to bring your own? You can ditch the expensive backpacking meals and go with basic dehydrated stuff at Wal Mart if you plan ahead (like cacio e pepe). In any event, if you're using a MSR or Jetboil and need coffee, I highly recommend Starbucks VIA instant coffee. They come in individual packages so they're weight and space friendly.

Water? Are you drawing off the land or do you have resupply points? If drawing off the land, someone needs to bring a basic backpacking water filter.

You'll need a headlamp, basic FAK (along with some chafe cream and moleskin), and a multitool. I am completely ignorant on how to pack your bike - whether you wear a backpack or have saddle bags.

Next weekend looks like rain, so leave the cotton at home and take only wool and synthetics. I

OP
OP
Hollywood

Hollywood

is part black.
Reaction score
Drawing off of my backpacking experiences and just being exposed to some bikepacking in general:

Depending on temperatures, you may need an underquilt for your hammock. You can get by with a lightweight backpacking tarp and cordage for a fly. Make sure your hammock has a bug net.

As for a mummy bag, during summer (again, temperatures depending - check the NWS's UDAF for a location specific forecast per night especially if you're going to have large elevation changes) you should be able to get by with a basic synthetic summer bag, EN comfort rated to 50F. (Remember, EN ratings account for wearing a baselayer and sleeping on a pad, so you'll probably still need an underquilt).

Who's bringing the stove? Do you need to bring yours (and if you do, do you have an MSR or Jetboil)? And, who's doing the meal plan? Are you expected to bring your own? You can ditch the expensive backpacking meals and go with basic dehydrated stuff at Wal Mart if you plan ahead (like cacio e pepe). In any event, if you're using a MSR or Jetboil and need coffee, I highly recommend Starbucks VIA instant coffee. They come in individual packages so they're weight and space friendly.

Water? Are you drawing off the land or do you have resupply points? If drawing off the land, someone needs to bring a basic backpacking water filter.

You'll need a headlamp, basic FAK (along with some chafe cream and moleskin), and a multitool. I am completely ignorant on how to pack your bike - whether you wear a backpack or have saddle bags.

Next weekend looks like rain, so leave the cotton at home and take only wool and synthetics. I
I asked him about a bug net and he said with a mummy bag you are basically covered so he doesn't use/never needed one.

Good call on the weather. I checked the location where we will be biking and Friday and Saturday has a 40% chance of rain (Sunday isn't up yet)

He has the stove and I know he gets cheap dehydrated food...He loves top ramen...so I will just go with whatever he gets. He did tell me to get a pot for cooking/eating which I am getting/ordering today. i don't like coffee so that isn't a problem.

I don't know about the water. I know we are going through Flag, so water there but I will be bringing a Lifestraw and he already told me to get a Camelbak. The one he suggested is 3L.

Headlamp is a good idea as well as a multi-tool. I didn't think of those. Saddlebags on the bike.

What is FAK?

LVG

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
I asked him about a bug net and he said with a mummy bag you are basically covered so he doesn't use/never needed one.

Good call on the weather. I checked the location where we will be biking and Friday and Saturday has a 40% chance of rain (Sunday isn't up yet)

He has the stove and I know he gets cheap dehydrated food...He loves top ramen...so I will just go with whatever he gets. He did tell me to get a pot for cooking/eating which I am getting/ordering today. i don't like coffee so that isn't a problem.

I don't know about the water. I know we are going through Flag, so water there but I will be bringing a Lifestraw and he already told me to get a Camelbak. The one he suggested is 3L.

Headlamp is a good idea as well as a multi-tool. I didn't think of those. Saddlebags on the bike.

What is FAK?

First aid kit. Don’t buy one off the shelf; you need very little and can assemble a lightweight one yourself. Mostly a few band aids, some Tylenol, antiseptic wipes, maybe a bit of gauze. You can get a full list online, although I find those lists to be too much and you can generally pair things down.

Agree on the 3L Camelbak. I don’t know how fast you’ll run through it. I know that I plan on a liter an hour hiking in warm to hot weather. You’ll want some way to refill your Camelbak.

Food: add gorp and (if you like it) peanut butter and clif bars in addition to what you’ll be cooking.

OP
OP
Hollywood

Hollywood

is part black.
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Well, that was a fun learning experience. I learned that when you are not a fan of bike riding on smooth flat road you are not going to be a fan of riding a bike on rocky hilly ground. In short, my butt hurts 2 days later. It is a good thing that our plans changed because there is no way that I would have been able to go the 100+ miles my brother had planned. I was spent after the 6 miles we road. In fact after riding out a few miles and finding a clearing we decided to go back to the truck and head to a campground because my nephew was scared to be so far out. My brother had to go ahead and get the truck and come back for me.

We did end up in a camp ground at Dogtown Lake and set up our hammocks which I loved. I had the best night sleeping while camping that I can remember. I also realized that I have NO problem hiking (apparently different muscles) with a pack. I borrowed a mess kit from my brother and we used his stove but I feel like with those items I will have everything I need to go backpacking....and maybe some appropriate clothes.

I also learned that the Hitchhikers Guide was right. My brother laughed at me for bringing a towel and then I laughed at him every time he borrowed it.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
Those hammocks look awesome. That's next on my list to purchase.

For water I use the Sawyer. Works great.

Oh, and I assume you weren't wearing bike shorts :) Those pads are there for a reason!