DId we move up?

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
With the coaching changes, player additions and deletions, and even fron office changes, did the Suns do enough with their limited resources to move up on this list? Did any teams move down?

You must be registered for see images attach

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I think we might...might...be better than the Grizzlies and Timberwolves IF we keep Oubre. I don't think we're better than anyone else here.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Almost impossible to tell right now. Every year there are some teams that will disappoint and some that will surprise. Hopefully we are one of the teams in the latter category.

OP
OP
Yuma

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I think we might...might...be better than the Grizzlies and Timberwolves IF we keep Oubre. I don't think we're better than anyone else here.
That list is tough! I think we ARE a better team than last year. We need some teams to drop in talent, really! Coaching is the wild card this year. Plus we can actually field a starting team with actual PG and PF to start games.

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
A lot has changed since 7/1. I think we have a shot of finishing ahead of the Thunder, Twolves, Grizzlies, Pelicans and even perhaps the Mavs.

OP
OP
Yuma

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
It all depends on the coach and the schemes we play on offense and defense. I think we can expect to see a traditional rotation of guys in and out of games. You never knew what Igor was going to do. Sometimes we would be in a game, and Booker would be on the sidelines for seemingly too long, and we would be struggling to score with the back ups.

OP
OP
Yuma

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Eighth last year took 48 wins. I am hoping for that, but it really depends on Booker, Ayton, Bridges, and Oubre. Our whole roster has been churned, so it's almost a whole new team except the four key guys mentioned earlier. So a whole new team, in theory, anything is possible. The team has to play way better as a team. With a new coach, and new system, that's a lot to ask. I think Krang is about right for our ceiling.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Eighth last year took 48 wins. I am hoping for that, but it really depends on Booker, Ayton, Bridges, and Oubre. Our whole roster has been churned, so it's almost a whole new team except the four key guys mentioned earlier. So a whole new team, in theory, anything is possible. The team has to play way better as a team. With a new coach, and new system, that's a lot to ask. I think Krang is about right for our ceiling.
People keep citing the turnover in the team as a big reason why we’ll make a huge jump from last season. But let’s not lose sight of the fact that the four guys returning gobbled up the majority of minutes when they were healthy. So yes, while some of the additions (Rubio and saric) will likely be a big change in contributors, I suspect those four carryover guys will still command four or the top 5 or 6 minutes on the team. So while the the roster seems to be completely turned over, the truth is somewhere around 57-60% of minutes played will be by the same guys as last year (projecting 36/game for booker, Ayton, and Oubre, and 30/game for bridges). And yes hopefully those young guys continue to advance and improve, but it kinda cuts into the “it’s a whole new roster” concept.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Short answer: Sure

Long Answer: We may be better than two other western conference teams next year. That's it. Who cares about owning the tallest tree stump in the forest?

We were 14 games from 2nd to last place last season. I am hoping for 10 more wins next year.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd say at best 10th.

This. The West is still extremely tough. I say we still are in the 11-15 range. So, technically yes but not much.

Man I hope I am wrong. I would love to see some new life in this city when it comes to basketball.

Just to get to the Lakers win total of 37 that means we have to pick up 18 wins which is going to be no small feat in the West. Forget about how much deeper we are or how much pressure will be taken off our building blocks.

This is the West. The Suns are playing catch up with depth on all the other teams in the West.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Short answer: Sure

Long Answer: We may be better than two other western conference teams next year. That's it. Who cares about owning the tallest tree stump in the forest?

We were 14 games from 2nd to last place last season. I am hoping for 10 more wins next year.

I think 35ish. Another lottery trip, and maybe the Suns actually have luck this year.

It will be a lot easier to ease a 19-20 into the rotation with veterans like Rubio, Saric, Baynes, and Kaminsky.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
People keep citing the turnover in the team as a big reason why we’ll make a huge jump from last season. But let’s not lose sight of the fact that the four guys returning gobbled up the majority of minutes when they were healthy. So yes, while some of the additions (Rubio and saric) will likely be a big change in contributors, I suspect those four carryover guys will still command four or the top 5 or 6 minutes on the team. So while the the roster seems to be completely turned over, the truth is somewhere around 57-60% of minutes played will be by the same guys as last year (projecting 36/game for booker, Ayton, and Oubre, and 30/game for bridges). And yes hopefully those young guys continue to advance and improve, but it kinda cuts into the “it’s a whole new roster” concept.

I think the problem was that outside of the top four guys, there was no real NBA talent on the team last year. Suns had a nice little run when they have those four plus Johnson healthy. I think the fact that they have eight or nice actual NBA players will be huge next season.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think the problem was that outside of the top four guys, there was no real NBA talent on the team last year. Suns had a nice little run when they have those four plus Johnson healthy. I think the fact that they have eight or nice actual NBA players will be huge next season.

Interesting concept. Here are the players form the Suns opening roster last year that are still in the league (as a definition of real NBA talent).

Booker
Ayton
Jackson
Warren
Bridges
Holmes
Daniels
Ariza
Melton
Okobo
Crawford

It will be interesting to see which of these players actually make NBA rosters this year.

So --only 4 were not real NBA talent might be an exaggeration, unless I misunderstand what you mean by that phrase. If you mean "worthy of regular minutes" I would have to rethink it of course. Not trying to nitpick here, its just July.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Interesting concept. Here are the players form the Suns opening roster last year that are still in the league (as a definition of real NBA talent).

Booker
Ayton
Jackson
Warren
Bridges
Holmes
Daniels
Ariza
Melton
Okobo
Crawford

It will be interesting to see which of these players actually make NBA rosters this year.

So --only 4 were not real NBA talent might be an exaggeration, unless I misunderstand what you mean by that phrase. If you mean "worthy of regular minutes" I would have to rethink it of course. Not trying to nitpick here, its just July.

I am not sure what an actual definition would be or what the best phrase to use would be, but the difference between Saric and Anderson (or Bender) is pretty significant. Difference between Rubio and Canaan, Okobo, or Melton is a pretty significant one. I suppose a "legitimate NBA rotation players" would be a bit more accurate than "actual NBA players". Either way, Suns had nothing after Booker, Ayton, Bridges, and Warren until Johnson and Oubre showed up. I suppose Holmes and Melton were good bench players that may qualify as "rotation" players too, but after Booker, Ayton, Bridges, and eventually Oubre and Johnson, there wasn't much on the roster last year.

In my opinion, they went on that one run because they finally had five NBA-level players, and a couple of defensive/ energy players off the bench. Johnson, Booker, Oubre, Ayton, Bridges, Melton, and Holmes were the contributors last year. Jackson played better towards the end of the season too.
Now they have Rubio and Johnson at 1, Booker, Bridges, and Oubre at 2 and 3, Saric, Kaminsky, and Diallo at 4, and Ayton and Baynes at 5. That's nine to ten actual NBA players on the roster, depending on how you look at Diallo and Kaminsky. Then they will also have two older rookies who might be able to contribute. That is a significantly improved team.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I just did the math. We've replaced 58% of our minutes played from last season. You gotta remember that Oubre only played 40 games for us, Tyler Johnson only played 13.

Yes, compared to the team that played for most of last season, it is a whole new roster. Outside of mid-season acquisitions, we're returning 3 guys, 2 of them were rookies.

taz02

All Star
Reaction score
Its all about Aytons progress and Bookers health.

Ayton often looked star struck and immature. If he makes noticeable progress on defense and with his confidence / aggressiveness and Booker stays healthy ALL season we should be much improved. By noticeable progress I mean progress you can see game in and game out that doesn't require a speculative mathematical formula to prove.

If Ayton is the same guy and Booker misses 20 games and hobbles through another 10, we won't be too far from were we ended up last season.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I just did the math. We've replaced 58% of our minutes played from last season. You gotta remember that Oubre only played 40 games for us, Tyler Johnson only played 13.

Yes, compared to the team that played for most of last season, it is a whole new roster. Outside of mid-season acquisitions, we're returning 3 guys, 2 of them were rookies.
I didn’t count Tyler and I really was only concentrating on the period post-Oubre acquisition. Let’s not forget, other than a brief period of .500 play we didn’t exactly light the world on fire in the 40 games with Oubre.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I didn’t count Tyler and I really was only concentrating on the period post-Oubre acquisition. Let’s not forget, other than a brief period of .500 play we didn’t exactly light the world on fire in the 40 games with Oubre.
Yeah, and we had several guys who didn’t belong on an NBA court gobbling up half the playing time.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score

They had to undo the stink that Ariza left behind and get Oubre into the flow of things before we could see what he could do and once he settled, and was made a starter, the team did play quite well. By quite well I mean compared to the rest of the season and within the Sarver era of Suns basketball. It was an improvement but still subpar for a team hoping to make a playoff push.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
They had to undo the stink that Ariza left behind and get Oubre into the flow of things before we could see what he could do and once he settled, and was made a starter, the team did play quite well. By quite well I mean compared to the rest of the season and within the Sarver era of Suns basketball. It was an improvement but still subpar for a team hoping to make a playoff push.
Again, that reflects a season without a legitimate PG and PF, putting extra pressure on our two top players.

I wouldn't consider Oubre a reflection of our subpar team performance.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Ariza signing was stink almost from the beginning. It seems he wanted out almost the moment his feet hit the tarmac at Sky Harbor. That was probably apparent to the coaches and ownership. It was probably the final nail in McD’s coffin.

Oubre and Book are a breath of fresh air—just because of how public they have been about wanting to be here.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Ariza signing was stink almost from the beginning. It seems he wanted out almost the moment his feet hit the tarmac at Sky Harbor. That was probably apparent to the coaches and ownership. It was probably the final nail in McD’s coffin.

Oubre and Book are a breath of fresh air—just because of how public they have been about wanting to be here.

It felt like Ariza wanted the contract more than playing for the Suns.

When Oubre arrived it was like wow... someone wants to be here... and he played like it.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
It felt like Ariza wanted the contract more than playing for the Suns.

When Oubre arrived it was like wow... someone wants to be here... and he played like it.

Oh yeah, Ariza just went to the highest bidder then deiced to sulk because he was playing for a bad team. Oubre was literally a man on a mission. That's what I love about the 2 year contract. He's still on that same mission.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose