Interesting Air Raid Insights from TX high school coach

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Or maybe most NFL playbooks are in a style most of the 50 year old coaches are comfortable with?

Until I hear otherwise, I'm not going to automatically downgrade a new way of presenting information. These post-millenials that make up the vast majority of the NFL are very different than you or I. I was born right at the end of Gen X and I have a hard time associating with millenials.
I'm not going to quote every single post in here point by point, so I'm just hopping in with this...

I'm all for new ways of presentation too, but the video thing concerns me depending on how it's formatted. Is this an X's and O's thing that animates the optimal route tree, or options of route trees, being precise with cuts at certain distances and such? If so, fine.

But my estimation from the rest of the conversation is more like the video presentation is "look at what these dudes did before," which means it isn't exact for a teaching moment. No college WR is a precise enough route runner compared to the NFL.

Kliff played in the NFL, it might be a non-issue in how he's translated it into a real playbook, but it is concerning.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I'm not going to quote every single post in here point by point, so I'm just hopping in with this...

I'm all for new ways of presentation too, but the video thing concerns me depending on how it's formatted. Is this an X's and O's thing that animates the optimal route tree, or options of route trees, being precise with cuts at certain distances and such? If so, fine.

But my estimation from the rest of the conversation is more like the video presentation is "look at what these dudes did before," which means it isn't exact for a teaching moment. No college WR is a precise enough route runner compared to the NFL.

Kliff played in the NFL, it might be a non-issue in how he's translated it into a real playbook, but it is concerning.

Everything the Cardinals do is concerning to you right now.

If Andrew Luck was traded for a 11th round pick, you'd be concerned about the player they missed out on. :p

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Everything the Cardinals do is concerning to you right now.

If Andrew Luck was traded for a 11th round pick, you'd be concerned about the player they missed out on. :p
It's more like 40% good, 60% bad.

I really just don't want to get my hopes up. If we win three games this year, I can say "well Solar, you got what you expected, at least you focused mostly on fantasy football and other things," as opposed to how I felt in the final two years of Arians' run, where I genuinely thought deep playoff runs were in the cards.

Last year I had no idea what to expect, but was hopeful... this year has gone against every instinct I have as a businessperson, fan, and football aficionado. It's a bummer, but if we come out kicking ass, I'll sure be with ya'll!

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
It's more like 40% good, 60% bad.

I really just don't want to get my hopes up. If we win three games this year, I can say "well Solar, you got what you expected, at least you focused mostly on fantasy football and other things," as opposed to how I felt in the final two years of Arians' run, where I genuinely thought deep playoff runs were in the cards.

Last year I had no idea what to expect, but was hopeful... this year has gone against every instinct I have as a businessperson, fan, and football aficionado. It's a bummer, but if we come out kicking ass, I'll sure be with ya'll!

The Cardinals have tried ordinary, boring, and conservative for so long and have as a result, often been a mediocre to terrible team.

Boldness is refreshing. Sure it's a gamble, but if it pays off, it could payoff big.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
The Cardinals have tried ordinary, boring, and conservative for so long and have as a result, often been a mediocre to terrible team.

Boldness is refreshing. Sure it's a gamble, but if it pays off, it could payoff big.

"Ordinary and boring?" We're only a few years removed from being in the NFC Championship game. About a decade from being in the Super Bowl.

We've been arguably conservative maybe the past two years.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
"Ordinary and boring?" We're only a few years removed from being in the NFC Championship game. About a decade from being in the Super Bowl.

Solar7, part of this year's enthusiasm relates to how we've taken last year's approach, and basically thrown it in the trash can. We're all glad we don't have to re-live a horrifying 2018.

Also, it's because the strategy we're implementing this year just oozes with potential.

Maybe K1 + K2 + DJ won't work out. But it's not that hard to imagine this combination scoring a whole bunch of points, especially if we can keep them together for a few years.

We're currently sitting on zero championships. Zero.

Aren't you at least a little glad that they're trying something different, in an effort to win a Superbowl?

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Solar7, part of this year's enthusiasm relates to how we've taken last year's approach, and basically thrown it in the trash can. We're all glad we don't have to re-live a horrifying 2018.

Also, it's because the strategy we're implementing this year just oozes with potential.

Maybe K1 + K2 + DJ won't work out. But it's not that hard to imagine this combination scoring a whole bunch of points, especially if we can keep them together for a few years.

We're currently sitting on zero championships. Zero.

Aren't you at least a little glad that they're trying something different, in an effort to win a Superbowl?
No, I want us to do the right, statistically sound thing. I work in a career where doing things just to be different will get me a short trip to the unemployment line.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

Ordinary and boring is like 95% of this franchises history.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Sorry, I guess I just don't see his team being as bad and boring as that narrative suggests. The past decade or so has actually been pretty good to us in terms of having a decent amount of hope to be competitive and watchable. Considering the first 20 years of my life had exactly one enjoyable year, that's been a step up.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Sorry, I guess I just don't see his team being as bad and boring as that narrative suggests. The past decade or so has actually been pretty good to us in terms of having a decent amount of hope to be competitive and watchable. Considering the first 20 years of my life had exactly one enjoyable year, that's been a step up.

I dont disagree with the narrative that the Cardinals are an average to above average franchise NOW.

But last year was such a conservative, pathetic year. And I'd argue so were the last two years of Arians.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We’re taking the George Castanza approach... do the opposite. Lol.

Just watch a Chiefs game from last year. Mahomes has so many big plays just on his ability to move and extend plays. He is not Phillip Rivers or Johnny Unitas. He throws well, moves well and extend plays. This is what Murray is bringing to this team. My biggest concern is hopefully Murray plays within himself. Don’t believe he needs to win the game on his own.

No longer will plays automatically be dead because of a breakdown in pass protection. No longer will EVERY plays success rest on the o-line protecting for 5 seconds. Murray’s movement will create opportunities for broken and big plays.

I understand the doubters. Hell thats almost the epitome of being a Cardinal fan. As a kool-aider I am enthused and excited about the road we’ve chosen and the possibilities of what that road brings. To predict doom is crazy. It’s also crazy to predict playoffs at this point. Reality and history points to somewhere in the middle.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
No, I want us to do the right, statistically sound thing. I work in a career where doing things just to be different will get me a short trip to the unemployment line.

The "right, statistically sound thing"? No.

Can you give me statistical probability, which is based on something other someones opinion, that K1 or K2 succeeds, or fails, in the NFL?

That is, can you show me a statistical model, which uses a mathematical formula, and that will predict the probability of each person's success at the NFL level? And then let's compare that to Haskins' probability of success in NY, and Arians's chance of success in TB?

Of course you can't Solar7, because one doesn't exist. You silly.

And the "right" thing? Pfft. It sounds simple, but in the end, it's way too hard to be objective about what is "right" or "wrong" in the context of difficult decisions made by a professional football franchise.

So, what you're suggesting in your post is, from a practical standpoint, not realistic. It's not a viable strategy or philosophy, at least in terms of selecting draft picks, or head coaches.

Finally, We're not doing things "just to be different".

Choosing K1 is based on:

a) His obvious physical talent and QB skill
b) Russell Wilson's sustained success at the NFL level.
c) Mayfield's immediate success at the NFL level.

Choosing K2 is following the Ram's lead in choosing a young, offensive-minded coach, and following a trend in the NFL which is a game that increasingly favors the offense.

And choosing them together offers the possibility of creating synergy between the two.

I admit that Kingsbury is more of a risk that Murray however, so keep beating the "Kliff might suck" drum, because that's the only doom-and-gloom stuff that's getting traction on the board these days anyway.

But take your stodgy old "play it safe" approach somewhere else man. Instead, give me someone with vision. Someone who seeks to create a competitive advantage with progressive thinking.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose