Official Training Camp Thread

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
3000 yards of offense is Rosen numbers.

3000 yards of offense is 187.5 yards per game. That is a subpar number. It's not good at all. I expect a THOUSAND more yards than you between rushing and passing.

If Murray gets only 3000 yards, this offense will be McCoy-like. I think you're tempering your expectations more than you need to.

At a minimum, Murray will probably average 250 yards per game. That's 4000 yards of offense. I'm talking passing and rushing. It's not insane.

What's insane is to expect 3000 yards of offense. That's nonsense.
Sam Darnold had under 3,000 yards in 13 games. No one is throwing him under the bus. Why? Because it was a decent enough season.

This entire offense isn't Kyler alone. Just because he gets around 3,000 in my mind doesn't mean that DJ doesn't get a thousand yards. It doesn't mean that Kyler is starting every game, either, and that's not a knock on Kyler's stature, it's just a hard fact that NFL players get hit and miss games sometime.

This isn't even me trashing Kyler. It's me giving him plenty of excuses to call him a reasonable success by hitting reasonable numbers.

Pause and take a look at the numbers - Drew Brees, Dak Prescott, Matthew Stafford, Russell Wilson, Mitch Trubisky didn't even put up 4,000 yards. Most of them played the vast majority of the season, many of them are on much better teams with better talent than ours. For people to say they'e going to be disappointed if he's not immediately a top 10 QB out of the gate, it's ridiculously unfair to him.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
With even slightly more adequate QB play, we would have beaten the Bears, Seahawks twice, and the Raiders. Each of those games were decided by 3 points or less. I know you hate Cousins, but do you really think he would have played worse than the product the combo of Bradford and Rosen put on the field?

Not to mention we would have had three additional draft picks, someone like Derwin James or Leighton Van Der Esch. Look, I'm not saying it would have made us a better team in the long run, but I really believe Cousins could have mustered an additional 10 points out of the team.
Considering those are good teams outside of Oakland & it’s obvious how Cousins fares against good teams, no. Not to mention, he laid eggs against those 2 teams(Bears x2, last one against mostly backups) just last season with a way better cast.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Considering those are good teams outside of Oakland & it’s obvious how Cousins fares against good teams, no. Not to mention, he laid eggs against those 2 teams(Bears x2, last one against mostly backups) just last season with a way better cast.
Absolute silliness. Wildly different situations. But whatever, Cousins must just be the worst QB of all time. Bring back Bradford!

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Absolute silliness. Wildly different situations. But whatever, Cousins must just be the worst QB of all time. Bring back Bradford!
Man, I wish you would stop being such a stat-watcher & actually watch the dude play.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Dak Prescott went 13-3 as a rookie, completing nearly 68% of his passes and throwing 23 TDs against 4 INTs and 8 YPA. He had another 6 rushing TDs. He was exceptional as a rookie.

Now, he had exceptional talent supporting him including an All-World offensive line, and he hasn't reached those heights again with a lesser supporting cast. Still, last year he had 22 TDs, 8 INTs and another 6 TDs rushing.

Prescott demonstrates what an average QB can do behind an all pro offensive line and a dominant RB in the modern NFL.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Sam Darnold had under 3,000 yards in 13 games. No one is throwing him under the bus. Why? Because it was a decent enough season.

This entire offense isn't Kyler alone. Just because he gets around 3,000 in my mind doesn't mean that DJ doesn't get a thousand yards. It doesn't mean that Kyler is starting every game, either, and that's not a knock on Kyler's stature, it's just a hard fact that NFL players get hit and miss games sometime.

This isn't even me trashing Kyler. It's me giving him plenty of excuses to call him a reasonable success by hitting reasonable numbers.

Pause and take a look at the numbers - Drew Brees, Dak Prescott, Matthew Stafford, Russell Wilson, Mitch Trubisky didn't even put up 4,000 yards. Most of them played the vast majority of the season, many of them are on much better teams with better talent than ours. For people to say they'e going to be disappointed if he's not immediately a top 10 QB out of the gate, it's ridiculously unfair to him.

Russell Wilson - 3600 yards combined. He played in an extremely run heavy offense. Somewhar disproves your projection.

Brees - Different era. Threw 30 TDs his last season at Purdue which was a high amount for that era. Proves nothing.

Prescott - 3900 total yards, playing in a run based offense. Again, your projections are low.

Trubisky- dinosaur John Fox as head coach. It's about the same as having Wilks.

Stafford- started 10 games. Averaged 220 yards per game on an awful, awful team. Also...ten years ago...the NFL is pretty different today than it was ten years ago.

I think Murray at least gets 3800 yards of offense. I dont think 4100 is too ridiculous.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Sam Darnold played 13 games according to pro football reference.

He averaged 215 per game with no receivers, no RBs, and a bad offensive line.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Man, I wish you would stop being such a stat-watcher & actually watch the dude play.
My dad is a die-hard Redskins fan and so I watch about as much Redskins football as people who actually live in DC. My best friend is A die-hard Vikings fan. I have had him on 3-5 fantasy teams a year for the past four years or so. I've watched him play a ton, and rarely do I think those losses are truly his fault.

Russell Wilson - 3600 yards combined. He played in an extremely run heavy offense. Somewhar disproves your projection.

Brees - Different era. Threw 30 TDs his last season at Purdue which was a high amount for that era. Proves nothing.

Prescott - 3900 total yards, playing in a run based offense. Again, your projections are low.

Trubisky- dinosaur John Fox as head coach. It's about the same as having Wilks.

Stafford- started 10 games. Averaged 220 yards per game on an awful, awful team. Also...ten years ago...the NFL is pretty different today than it was ten years ago.

I think Murray at least gets 3800 yards of offense. I dont think 4100 is too ridiculous.
I'm talking about last year's NFL, not their rookie seasons. My point is that only 12 QBs broke the 4,000 yard mark. Less than half of the league, and inclusive of some incredibly talented players on good teams.

Your estimation would put Kyler at functionally a top 10 QB in his first year.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
My dad is a die-hard Redskins fan and so I watch about as much Redskins football as people who actually live in DC. My best friend is A die-hard Vikings fan. I have had him on 3-5 fantasy teams a year for the past four years or so. I've watched him play a ton, and rarely do I think those losses are truly his fault.

I'm talking about last year's NFL, not their rookie seasons. My point is that only 12 QBs broke the 4,000 yard mark. Less than half of the league, and inclusive of some incredibly talented players on good teams.

My estimation? A lot of fantasy estimates have Murray as a top ten.

Saying 2800 yards is an outlier dude.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
My estimation? A lot of fantasy estimates have Murray as a top ten.

Saying 2800 yards is an outlier dude.
Fantasy estimates are different because of rushing being such an important piece of fantasy. That's why Josh Allen is a bottom 5 QB in the real NFL, but a mid-tier QB in fantasy.

Kyler could be a top ten fantasy QB if he had 1500 yards passing, but 800 yards rushing.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Jeff Driskel started 5.5 games....he threw for 1000 yards.

That's a better pace than you think Murray will throw for. Total nonsense.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Mike Jurecki (@mikejurecki)
7/17/19, 12:31 PM
The rookies report to the Dignity Health #AZCardinals Training Center today with physicals and conditioning test, and any players rehabbing/returning from injuries. As for the veterans they report to ⁦‪@StateFarmStdm‬⁩ on July 24. #CardsCamp pic.twitter.com/D4WsnWsZxE
Don'tcha wish the coaches would run and publish a "mini-Cardinal Combine" where, say, a UDFA tight end would match up with a TE drafted #32 - in the forty, VJ and a few position drills?

Or maybe they already do this away from the scrutiny of die-hard fans.

There has to be a gold-mine of information the team could have on each player that signals "a diamond in the rough sleeper" or a gamer weak in measured skills, but long on playmaking skills.

It would help onlookers better answer the age-old camp question of "who is that guy?"

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score

Now now young man, just because you watch the game still does not mean you know what the hell is going on, like someone who goes and watches a liftoff at Cape Canaveral and then professes to know rocket science.... I should know because I have watched football for years and still feel like an idiot and seldom right lol

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
After reading all these posts I am assuming that all the posters throwing around big numbers for Murray are going to select him as your top QB in fantasy.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
After reading all these posts I am assuming that all the posters throwing around big numbers for Murray are going to select him as your top QB in fantasy.
I did. :-D

iLLmatiC

Drive-by Poster
Reaction score
I’m not a huge fan of K1 as a HC either, but he knows offense & will jumpstart this offense instantly imo.

Sorry Jim, but this coaching staff is night & day better than that trash that rolled thru Zona last year & rightfully fired days after that horrific season.

Should've been fired the morning after the last game. I hope that's the worst I ever have to witness them in my lifetime.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose