RIP Tyler Skaggs

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Los Angeles Angels refute claims pitcher Tyler Skaggs died of a drug overdose in Texas hotel
The Los Angeles Angels released a statement shortly after the unexplained death of pitcher Tyler Skaggs publicly refuting claims made by the 27-year-old's hometown paper that he may have died from a drug overdose.

The local paper had published a speculative story shortly after the sportsman's death.

The pitcher was found unresponsive in his hotel room near Dallas on Monday, just two days after his conclusive performance for the Angels.

Angels spokesperson, Marie Garvey, said: "This article is categorically incorrect. The cause of death is still under investigation as stated by the Southlake Police Department. We have tried to contact the paper to correct this story but have [been] unsuccessful in our attempts. This sort of reckless reporting from Tyler's hometown paper is disappointing and harmful," the Daily Mail reported.
https://meaww.com/los-angeles-angel...rug-overdose-in-texas-hotel-local-paper-claim

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
What if he did die of a drug overdose. You think people will change their outlook about his death?

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Jose Fernandez death was seen as tragic. Even though they were drinking and had cocaine in their system during the boating accident, I still think people see his death as unfortunate.

OP
OP
Dback Jon

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He OD’d on a mixture of narcotics and alcohol

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Whether or not it was caused by substance abuse, it is shocking and sad.

A young man reaches the pinnacle of his profession -- or even if he works
in a Home Depot -- and a precious life is gone.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He OD’d on a mixture of narcotics and
alcohol

The cause of death is listed as a mixture of “alcohol, fentanyl and oxycodone intoxication with terminal aspiration of gastric contents,” meaning Skaggs, 27, essentially choked on his vomit while under the influence.

Kind of tarnishes his "untimely passing."

His family is shocked and is now focused on "finding the person who supplied him with dangerous drugs..."

:rolleyes:

This wasn't a teenager. He was a man who made poor life choices and it cost him his life. End of story.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
The cause of death is listed as a mixture of “alcohol, fentanyl and oxycodone intoxication with terminal aspiration of gastric contents,” meaning Skaggs, 27, essentially choked on his vomit while under the influence.

His family is shocked and is now focused on "finding the person who supplied him with dangerous drugs..."

This wasn't a teenager. He was a man who made poor life choices and it cost him his life. End of story.
And that too is sad. Especially considering the effect that fame has on young people in making the wrong choices.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

So in other words, he got what he deserved, his parents should simply move on and he got what he deserved.

Got it.

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
What a horrible way to die. OMG.

Bobster

All Star
Reaction score
So in other words, he got what he deserved, his parents should simply move on and he got what he deserved.

Got it.

More like, he's an adult and made his own choices, they're just trying to find someone else to blame for his decisions.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
More like, he's an adult and made his own choices, they're just trying to find someone else to blame for his decisions.

So he got what he deserved and his family should shut the hell up...even if everything originated within the Angels organization.

Got it. Cool beans.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score

I don’t think the family should’ve implicated the Angels in a public statement. That’s a bit reckless IMO... However I’ve never had a kid die from OD so I can’t project what I’d do in that situation.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score

I don’t blame the parents at all for wanting to know how their son illegally acquired lethal drugs...

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Professional sports produces young instant millionaires.
And the peer pressure it brings with it.

I don't condone their use of any enhancements or thrills
just because they can afford anything.

Each time we think that a tragedy such as this will make
them aware. Sadly, it doesn't.

Human nature at its worst. Because it is so illogical.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score

Drug addiction and drug abuse is generally related to depression, mental illness etc.

I knew this was the case when he died. They only keep it secret if it’s bad. I’m glad everybody took a moment to grieve before everybody started playing god.

To me the cause of his death only makes it more depressing. Here’s a guy living a life that many dream of and he still needed to abuse drugs in this extreme way. Truly sad for everyone involved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Drug addiction and drug abuse is generally related to depression, mental illness etc.

I knew this was the case when he died. They only keep it secret if it’s bad. I’m glad everybody took a moment to grieve before everybody started playing god.

To me the cause of his death only makes it more depressing. Here’s a guy living a life that many dream of and he still needed to abuse drugs in this extreme way. Truly sad for everyone involved.

I agree with your post, if you meant the "etc." to include, as I mentioned, peer pressure. Just like kids who start smoking, then doing pot.

It is not a fair assessment to jump to the conclusion that Tyler Skaggs was depressed or mentally ill.

Which makes it even more difficult a situation to solve. Sadly!