OT- Around the NFL 2019-20

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I see a long & protracted strike when the current NFL CBA expires. If the NFL players get what they want (something similar to NBA's), then the overall state of the NFL will suffer tremendously.
I truly see a cancelled season coming up. Fans will not support scab rosters... not in today’s world. Players are going to want guaranteed contracts. That could work but it’s not going to be like baseball or basketball because shorter careers. The nfl player will never see a 10 year 300 million dollar contract. There will be other issues like longer seasons and such but in the end it will comedown to millionaires fighting with billionaires as their eventual agreement will cost fans more for games, nfl ticket, advertisers and concessions. THAT you can bet on.

OP
OP
Ronin

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Field Yates (@FieldYates)
7/17/19, 5:55 AM
By skipping the off-season workout program/not meeting the contractually mandated minimum of 90%, 6 Redskins players had their 2019 salaries reduced by:
Josh Norman: $200k
Landon Collins: $175k
Trent Williams: $150k
Paul Richardson: $150k
Quinton Dunbar: $100k
Vernon Davis: $50k

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I truly see a cancelled season coming up. Fans will not support scab rosters... not in today’s world. Players are going to want guaranteed contracts. That could work but it’s not going to be like baseball or basketball because shorter careers. The nfl player will never see a 10 year 300 million dollar contract. There will be other issues like longer seasons and such but in the end it will comedown to millionaires fighting with billionaires as their eventual agreement will cost fans more for games, nfl ticket, advertisers and concessions. THAT you can bet on.

If they want truly guaranteed contracts within a CAP system then the NHL, not the NBA or MLB is is the basic model.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

For the NFL to get guaranteed contracts, it would take the game moving to a much lower level of contact.

Call me crazy, but I think it's a model the NFL needs to look at. I have internal issues cheering for a sport that I know causes extreme long term harm to the players. Something has to change or the sport will die one day.

OP
OP
Ronin

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
For the NFL to get guaranteed contracts, it would take the game moving to a much lower level of contact.

Call me crazy, but I think it's a model the NFL needs to look at. I have internal issues cheering for a sport that I know causes extreme long term harm to the players. Something has to change or the sport will die one day.
What do you want? Flag football? 2 hand touch? Everyone simply playing Madden? Football is a collision sport. It has always been a collision sport. Everyone who plays know the risks from Pop Warner all the way up to the NFL. No one puts a gun to anyone's head to play. Should we do away with all contact sports? No more boxing, MMA, rugby, take checking out of hockey? You want to kill the sport, remove or diminish the contact. Mind you, I'm not ripping you for your view but it's not like someone woke up yesterday and said, "Wow, they really hit in this league".

IMO, and this is a similar idea I had for hockey concerning stick incidents, they need to make the equipment a little less protective. This would make the players a little more conscientious with their hitting and maybe they'll focus more on actually tackling. I know it sounds nuts but there is logic to my idea.

Last edited:

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I see a long & protracted strike when the current NFL CBA expires. If the NFL players get what they want (something similar to NBA's), then the overall state of the NFL will suffer tremendously.
Now you know why McMahon is choosing 2020 to re-launch the XFL. He's counting on a players strike.

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Actually, I think this time around replacement players would be a little more accepted. In 1987, players were still looked at as somewhat blue collar. This is why Buddy Ryan became so endearing to the people of Philadelphia, one of the most blue collar cities in the country. But today, with players in all leagues acting like spoiled millionaires, fans allegiance just might go to the replacement players who would play more for the love of the game and not just a big contract and will play harder. It would be a tough sell for millionaire players to try to connect with the fans on their level as simple working men. And I guarantee you that you'd have more players crossing the picket line than you did in '87.

AZCrazy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

Adam Schefter
@AdamSchefter

·
21m

Bengals’ G Clint Boling announced his retirement from the NFL. Boling joined the Bengals in 2011 as a fourth-round draft selection (101st overall) out of the University of Georgia.

Bengals line getting decimated before the season starts. They'll be battling with Miami now for crummiest outlook.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
What do you want? Flag football? 2 hand touch? Everyone simply playing Madden? Football is a collision sport. It has always been a collision sport. Everyone who plays know the risks from Pop Warner all the way up to the NFL. No one puts a gun to anyone's head to play. Should we do away with all contact sports? No more boxing, MMA, rugby, take checking out of hockey? You want to kill the sport, remove or diminish the contact. Mind you, I'm not ripping you for your view but it's not like someone woke up yesterday and said, "Wow, they really hit in this league".

IMO, and this is a similar idea I had for hockey concerning stick incidents, they need to make the equipment a little less protective. This would make the players a little more conscientious with their hitting and maybe they'll focus more on actually tackling. I know it sounds nuts but there is logic to my idea.

You'll be hard-pressed to find a hockey player with his own front teeth before face and mouth guards.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score

The nfl figuratively prints money. Owners and the commissioner are Hypocrites. They preach safety but insist on players playing on 4 days rest to facilitate Thursday night football. They want to extend the season but wouldn’t think of expanding the rosters to 60 players. Then being able to cut a player as long as it fits their salary cap. About 90% of these players will have more money than the average fan will earn in their entire work life. Owners a 100 times more so it’s hard to feel sorry for any of them. However, bottom line is I will side with the players who put their bodies and life on the line every time they step on the field.

Last edited:

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The nfl figuratively prints money. Owners and the commissioner are Hippocrates. They preach safety but insist on players playing on 4 days rest to facilitate Thursday night football. They want to extend the season but wouldn’t think of expanding the rosters to 60 players. Then being able to cut a player as long as it fits their salary cap. About 90% of these players will have more money than the average fan will earn in their entire work life. Owners a 100 times more so it’s hard to feel sorry for any of them. However, bottom line is I will side with the players who put their bodies and life on the line every time they step on the field.
The owners and commissioner are the father of western medicine?

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The nfl figuratively prints money. Owners and the commissioner are Hypocrites. They preach safety but insist on players playing on 4 days rest to facilitate Thursday night football. They want to extend the season but wouldn’t think of expanding the rosters to 60 players. Then being able to cut a player as long as it fits their salary cap. About 90% of these players will have more money than the average fan will earn in their entire work life. Owners a 100 times more so it’s hard to feel sorry for any of them. However, bottom line is I will side with the players who put their bodies and life on the line every time they step on the field.
I actually think you have something here. Injuries are going to happen but I think the reason why players in yonder years were somewhat better was that games were played on Sunday and Monday night. Thursday games came on Thanksgiving and the only change might be an occasional Saturday game. These prime time games do take a toll.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Those are pretty harsh statements. I don't think that makes them hypocrites.

They are total hypocrites.

Did you know that in 2008 the NFL sent out pamphlets to the players saying there were no long term effects of concussions, even though doctors had start to reveal a mountain of evidence on the causes of CTE?

The NFL and owners created a campaign of lies and disinformation on the dangers of playing football at any level.

Doctors are finding CTE in high school kids! It's a serious issue that the owners and the league are still only using window dressing to address.

Meanwhile, more and more parents arent allowing their sons to risk long term health problems. I told both of my sons that I dont want them to play football.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose