Welcome Frank Kaminsky

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was curious as to who would be the Suns whipping boy this year since we don't have Bender anymore and it looks like Kaminsky will fill that role nicely. I'm glad it's not someone with potential like Bender. I know Frank isn't that old but I don't see him improving much in any areas other than shooting, if he even does that.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I was curious as to who would be the Suns whipping boy this year since we don't have Bender anymore and it looks like Kaminsky will fill that role nicely. I'm glad it's not someone with potential like Bender. I know Frank isn't that old but I don't see him improving much in any areas other than shooting, if he even does that.

I think the opposite. He isn't a very good player but he is a good shooter and he tries hard, guys like that usually win people over, unless they're wildly overpaid or a draft bust... Kaminksy may be a draft bust but he isn't our draft bust.

I think Tyler Johnson or Rubio will be the whipping boy. Oh, Cam Johnson could be it too. If he has shooting troubles it'll get ugly.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So do I. Suns fans have a owner that's a big whipping boy.

Sarver sucks but I don't see him getting blamed for the awful play in the 3rd quarter of a road trip. There is always 1 player who can do no right, whether that's right or wrong.

Last year Bender fell in that category in the 2nd half of the season. The 1st half was really bad and everyone took their lumps. The year before it was Len. He could post a double double with 3 blocks and still be taken to task for what he didn't do.

Prior to Len I recall PJ getting some hate but his hustle kept him from staying down long. Markieff was one for a while when he was trying to replace Frye which was funny since Frye was definitely the whipping boy in the prior season. It's nothing personal against the player, usually. I think it helps keep fans focused in a way and from growing disinterested in the team overall.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the opposite. He isn't a very good player but he is a good shooter and he tries hard, guys like that usually win people over, unless they're wildly overpaid or a draft bust... Kaminksy may be a draft bust but he isn't our draft bust.

I think Tyler Johnson or Rubio will be the whipping boy. Oh, Cam Johnson could be it too. If he has shooting troubles it'll get ugly.

I agree. Cam Johnson could likely be a whipping boy if he does not play well because of the trade down from #6.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bobby Marks just tweeted that it’s a team option for the second year.

This is in reference to Diallo, right?

I think Kaminsky has a guaranteed contract for two seasons.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If Kaminsky is a team option for the second season, this signing is even better.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This is in reference to Diallo, right?

I think Kaminsky has a guaranteed contract for two seasons.
No. He was talking about Kaminsky. That is good news. Allow to move on to other free agents etc if Kaminsky doesn't work out or they find someone better.

That gives them about $32 million in cap space next summer if they renounce Saric, Kaminsky, Johnson, Baynes, Carter, Harper and Diallo.

That does not include the cap holds for draft picks.

Of course, they will not renounce all of those, but they will have room to adjust the roster without having to spend assets to dump contracts.

Last edited:

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
No. He was talking about Kaminsky. That is good news. Allow to move on to other free agents etc if Kaminsky doesn't work out or they find someone better.

That gives them about $32 million in cap space next summer if they renounce Saric, Kaminsky, Johnson, Baynes, Carter, Harper and Diallo.

Of course, they will not renounce all of those, but they will have room to adjust the roster without having to spend assets to dump contracts.
I personally think this is more about the summer of 2021 than 2020. The free agency class is woefully bad next summer. That 30m in space will only be used to try to trade for high-priced assets without having to give anything up--and I'm guessing there won't be that much of that going around.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree. Cam Johnson could likely be a whipping boy if he does not play well because of the trade down from #6.

to be honest, I think James Jones will end up being the whipping boy more than any of the players if they stink it up on the court. It's not Cam's fault he was a reach at 11 and people expecting more out of Kaminiski as a 8th or 9th guy isn't realistic. He is what he is... an okay at best bench player.

Maybe Rubio gets taken out behind the woodshed if he doesn't meet expectations, especially with a high salary, but I guess my question is what exactly are the expectations people have for him? I expect the offense to be better with an NBA PG at the helm, but people have to remember he did next to nothing to help a young Wolves team take steps forward and we'll see this season how big a role he played in Utah's resurgence as they dumped him to take a bigger step forward.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Until I get more sources telling me that Kaminsky's salary is not guaranteed for 2020-21, I am not going to get overly excited.

That said, it would be huge if it isn't.

See below:

Frank Kaminsky signed a 2 year / $9,772,350 contract with the Phoenix Suns, including $9,772,350 guaranteed,
and an annual average salary of $4,886,175. In 2019-20, Kaminsky will earn a base salary of $4,767,000, while carrying a cap hit of $4,767,000 and a dead cap value of $4,767,000.

https://www.spotrac.com/nba/phoenix-suns/frank-kaminsky-17837/

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Until I get more sources telling me that Kaminsky's salary is not guaranteed for 2020-21, I am not going to get overly excited.

That said, it would be huge if it isn't.

See below:

Frank Kaminsky signed a 2 year / $9,772,350 contract with the Phoenix Suns, including $9,772,350 guaranteed, and an annual average salary of $4,886,175. In 2019-20, Kaminsky will earn a base salary of $4,767,000, while carrying a cap hit of $4,767,000 and a dead cap value of $4,767,000.

https://www.spotrac.com/nba/phoenix-suns/frank-kaminsky-17837/
I'm curious why you think it would be "huge." It might be lukewarmly nice, but I don't see why having an extra 4.8 million in an extremely poor free agency summer is "huge."

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
to be honest, I think James Jones will end up being the whipping boy more than any of the players if they stink it up on the court. It's not Cam's fault he was a reach at 11 and people expecting more out of Kaminiski as a 8th or 9th guy isn't realistic. He is what he is... an okay at best bench player.

Of course it could fall at the feet of James Jones but draft picks also take some heat if they fail to live up to expectations. However, we do not have any idea if Cam was a reach. He might be better than some of the players drafted much earlier.

Maybe Rubio gets taken out behind the woodshed if he doesn't meet expectations, especially with a high salary, but I guess my question is what exactly are the expectations people have for him? I expect the offense to be better with an NBA PG at the helm, but people have to remember he did next to nothing to help a young Wolves team take steps forward and we'll see this season how big a role he played in Utah's resurgence as they dumped him to take a bigger step forward.

I'm not expecting Rubio to do anything but be an average point guard and execute the offense. After two seasons without a point guard, he should be a significant improvement for the Suns.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm curious why you think it would be "huge." It might be lukewarmly nice, but I don't see why having an extra 4.8 million in an extremely poor free agency summer is "huge."

I think you are looking at the 4.8 million in isolation. There are trades that can be made in addition to free agency. The money can be combined with other available salary to make moves.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I don't know if you're saying this tongue in cheek. A whipping boy is needed only if a team needs alibis.

Hopefully, our long hoped for growth and professionalism won't need alibis.

Let the other teams' expectations need whipping boys. :)

It's a nice feeling to not have to expect the worst!

Mainstreet said:
I'm not expecting Rubio to do anything but be an average point guard and execute the offense. After two seasons without a point guard, he should be a significant improvement for the Suns.
Precisely!

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I think you are looking at the 4.8 million in isolation. There are trades that can be made in addition to free agency. The money can be combined with other available salary to make moves.
True but even in that case the difference between 31 and 36m in a poor summer isn’t that substantial IMO.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't know if you're saying this tongue in cheek. A whipping boy is needed only if a team needs alibis.

Hopefully, our long hoped for growth and professionalism won't need alibis.

Let the other teams' expectations need whipping boys. :)

It's a nice feeling to not have to expect the worst!

Precisely!
This board has always had whipping boys. Bender, Chriss, Frye, Knight, Len, Shannon Brown, all the way back to Beasley and Marcus Banks.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score

If we get the Minnesota version of Saric he’ll be the subject of whippings. Rubio, even if he doesn’t make a significant impact should be solid enough to elevate Ayton into a better player. If things stay South it will be interesting if the same folks who despised Igor will turn on Monty.

Carolinacacti

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I know Ouchie is going to whip all over Ayton if he fails and I'm not going to be loving on Booker if he cry's all game. Hope its all Sunshine and Roses.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I know Ouchie is going to whip all over Ayton if he fails and I'm not going to be loving on Booker if he cry's all game. Hope its all Sunshine and Roses.
Lol. I don’t hate Ayton. I just believe he has such incredible untapped ability. I want to see him maximize it.

I also hate book’s whining.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
This board has always had whipping boys. Bender, Chriss, Frye, Knight, Len, Shannon Brown, all the way back to Beasley and Marcus Banks.
Yup, and it's finally time to move on and start thinking like a winner.

Any talk about the Sarver dynasty (before someone evidently convinced him to go count his money)
is being masochistic. Nothing personal, but there is no reason to keep the ghosts of Bender, Chriss,
Frye, Knight, Len, etc., alive as we prepare for next season -- including the fans. Expect the best
(that they can do).

That's my opinion!

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yup, and it's finally time to move on and start thinking like a winner.

Any talk about the Sarver dynasty (before someone evidently convinced him to go count his money)
is being masochistic. Nothing personal, but there is no reason to keep the ghosts of Bender, Chriss,
Frye, Knight, Len, etc., alive as we prepare for next season -- including the fans. Expect the best
(that they can do).

That's my opinion!

Whipping boys are pre-Sarver. Every team has them, even the 7 Second Or Less Suns. Marion took that role seriously in the playoffs. It's nothing personal, it's an outlet to express frustration towards your favorite team while not bashing the team as a whole. Of course some performances do warrant the whole team being thrown under the bus but it's easier to focus on 1 guy as the cause of all that is bad. If only he played out of this world then we'd be multi time world champs.