Official Training Camp Thread

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Hard for me to be optimistic. The Cards are toward the bottom of the league in terms of talent and have, what is likely, the worst coaching staff in the NFL, starting with the HC.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Well, we'd better sneak up on some teams, because as it stands right now, there's not a game we will be favored in. Lines change of course, but still.
Well if we were favored in any of those games it wouldn't be sneaking up lol. I think we'll be a hell of alot better than everyone predicted. We won 3 games last yr with a team no Cardinals fan had any hope for, there's more talent on this team than last yrs team ×2. This yrs team does have hope. Go Cards.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
Well, we'd better sneak up on some teams, because as it stands right now, there's not a game we will be favored in. Lines change of course, but still.
And yet more than likely half of the playoff field from last season will likely be different!!! Happens nearly every season.

I still think the Cards will be on fire in 3 years, but there’s a possibility it happens before...um the greatest show on turf, etc. Thats the NFL in this parity league. If you hit on a QB & strike gold, the sky’s the limit

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
Hard for me to be optimistic. The Cards are toward the bottom of the league in terms of talent and have, what is likely, the worst coaching staff in the NFL, starting with the HC.
I’m not a huge fan of K1 as a HC either, but he knows offense & will jumpstart this offense instantly imo.

Sorry Jim, but this coaching staff is night & day better than that trash that rolled thru Zona last year & rightfully fired days after that horrific season.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
No idea how the team will do, though I'm optimistic. However, I am pretty sure that the team will get a lot of national attention, when I watched the NFL channel last night, and they were hyping KM arriving for TC and talking about Arizona's first PS game against SD. Can't wait.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I'm cautiously optimistic.

All the pundits rating the team tend to not look at the context of last season. Wilks tried to run a 3-4 team in the 4-3 exclusively. Even worse....he ran the nickel more than any team in the league.

The defense has top 15 potential. I dont care what the pundits say, the players are good enough to do it.

The offense was a mess last year, but we as people who followed the Cardinals understand the issues better than those who didnt follow the team.

McCoy was the worst offensive coordinator this team has seen in a long time. You'd have to go back before Denny Green to see worse game plans and playcalling. I don't see how the Cardinals can be worse. Even if K2 is league average, this will be a huge upgrade.

The offensive line was 1) injured 2) lacked depth. It still is a bit of a question mark, but Kugler should get more out of a deeper line that has players he helped pick. I think they probably improve but will still be a bottom 10 unit. But as we've seen from past Cardinals team it isn't necessarily a deal breaker; neither of the 2008 nor the 2009 Cardinals teams had particularly good offensive lines.

I think more than anything, the fortunes of the team will rely on the skill position group. Getting David Johnson going is one of the keys for the Cardinals to improve more than anything else. Christian Kirk needs to take another step forward too....but I think his YAC ability could be a huge weapon in this offense. One of the rookie receivers need to also be a contributor as well.

And of course Kyler Murray. K1 needs to play like a competent player, but I dont think hes going to be even close to as bad as Rosen was last year. If you watch how Murray Carrie's himself, how he answers questions, you see a kid who is a fierce competitor who has never failed at anything before. This isn't because of his immense talent; Kyler Murray is an extremely hard worker, who is just wired to compete and win.

Say what you will about the offseason, but I've never seen the Cardinals gamble so big on greatness. Bringing in a college coach with an exotic offense, and one of the most explosive players EVER drafted by this team. Get on the bandwagon now! There is plenty of room.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I’m optimistic that the team will improve, but not in the wins and losses column.

The new Football Outsider's annual says that "the 2019 Arizona Cardinals may be the most thrilling awful team we've seen in some time." They're projecting six wins.

I think that it won't be Murray's struggles that cause this team to lag behind; it's going to be the WR corps.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
The new Football Outsider's annual says that "the 2019 Arizona Cardinals may be the most thrilling awful team we've seen in some time." They're projecting six wins.

I think that it won't be Murray's struggles that cause this team to lag behind; it's going to be the WR corps.
Thats a great quote. But I think we got 7 to 9 wins in us personally.

BurqueCardFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

Already making excuses for Murray. Great QB’s take what they have and make it work. He has a hall of fame WR in Fitz, a very good one in Kirk, a pro bowl caliber receiving RB and many other WR ‘s with potential including high draft picks. The WR Corp is the least of our worries.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Already making excuses for Murray. Great QB’s take what they have and make it work. He has a hall of fame WR in Fitz, a very good one in Kirk, a pro bowl caliber receiving RB and many other WR ‘s with potential including high draft picks. The WR Corp is the least of our worries.

Geez, if you're already citing the 'excuse' play for K9 commenting on Murray, who is probably the most unbiased poster here... I think you just might have a negative Murray agenda for a rookie quarterback lol

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score

You must not come here very often if you think I'm going to lower expectations on Kyler Murray. But I don't expect him to be a "great QB" in his rookie year after one season as a starting college QB.

I expect him to have Deshaun Watson's rookie season spread over 16 games — about 3500 yards passing, 25 TDs, 12 INTs, 500 rush yards, and 4 rushing TDs. Anything under 3000 yards passing and 20 total TDs should be a disappointment to all.

You don't know much about football if you look at our WR room and feel like these guys are ready for Prime Time. Maybe they're a functional group in a Seattle-style offense (or Philly back with McNabb) where you just spread the ball around and your top 3 or 4 receivers all get between 400-700 yards, but I don't know if we can expect that this season.

wit3card

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
You must not come here very often if you think I'm going to lower expectations on Kyler Murray. But I don't expect him to be a "great QB" in his rookie year after one season as a starting college QB.

I expect him to have Deshaun Watson's rookie season spread over 16 games — about 3500 yards passing, 25 TDs, 12 INTs, 500 rush yards, and 4 rushing TDs. Anything under 3000 yards passing and 20 total TDs should be a disappointment to all.

You don't know much about football if you look at our WR room and feel like these guys are ready for Prime Time. Maybe they're a functional group in a Seattle-style offense (or Philly back with McNabb) where you just spread the ball around and your top 3 or 4 receivers all get between 400-700 yards, but I don't know if we can expect that this season.
I think that are realistic numbers expect for 2 wr with around 1k yards and 2 with around 200-500 and a TE & RB with 200-500
But 3500 Yards would be a good career start for a rookie, but clearly more or 10+ wins would be better.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score

I mostly agree..... #HighFive

I could see a scenario where Fitz gets back to 2017 form, Kirk elevates to a high end #2 and one of the three new guys surprises.

Fitz at 100 catches & 900 yards
Kirk at 80 catches & 1000 yards
DJ at 60 catches for 800 yards
Isabella at 60 and 700 yards
Butler at 30 or 40 for 500 yards
RSJ, KeeShawn, & the rest with 30 or so for another 200

That would be 4100 yards and doesn't seem too implausible. Would love a 2 or 3 to 1 TD / INT ratio and another 400 to 600 rushing.

That would be a pretty dynamic way to start his career and would only be 256 yards per game.

My "This guy is a HOF in waiting" scenario is: 4500 yards passing. 550 yards rushing. 40 overall TD's. 3/1 TD/INT ratio. So thats 12ish INT's.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
I mostly agree..... #HighFive

I could see a scenario where Fitz gets back to 2017 form, Kirk elevates to a high end #2 and one of the three new guys surprises.

Fitz at 100 catches & 900 yards
Kirk at 80 catches & 1000 yards
DJ at 60 catches for 800 yards
Isabella at 60 and 700 yards
Butler at 30 or 40 for 500 yards
RSJ, KeeShawn, & the rest with 30 or so for another 200

That would be 4100 yards and doesn't seem too implausible. Would love a 2 or 3 to 1 TD / INT ratio and another 400 to 600 rushing.

That would be a pretty dynamic way to start his career and would only be 256 yards per game.

My "This guy is a HOF in waiting" scenario is: 4500 yards passing. 550 yards rushing. 40 overall TD's. 3/1 TD/INT ratio. So thats 12ish INT's.

Great call on DJ helping passing game.

I'm confident Johnson will have some big catch-and-run plays this year.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

And I’m okay with all of that.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

i'm down with the most thrilling awful team and six wins after the last couple years.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score

If Murray can buy time with his legs , which seems to be a given, the wr’s will have opportunities for big plays not dependent on precise route running.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose