Suns sign Cheick Diallo

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
He's 22. He's not an end-of-the-bench journeyman at this point. He's a project who is almost ready to take the next step.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Lots of rolls to the basket for dunks, given that is all you see in the highlights I suspect he is very limited offensively. Reminds me of Holmes.

If you look at the stats - that's not really the case

Shoots .532 from 3-10 ft
shoots .500 from 10-16 ft
shoots .444 from 16-32 ft
shoots .250 from 3PT range

Over 50% of his shots were from 3 ft and further away.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
If you look at the stats - that's not really the case

Shoots .532 from 3-10 ft
shoots .500 from 10-16 ft
shoots .444 from 16-32 ft
shoots .250 from 3PT range

Over 50% of his shots were from 3 ft and further away.
Just to give context, he's taken 4 3 point shots in his entire career and made only 1. He's basically a zero when it comes to that shot. And his only make was in the final game of this past season. LOL

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Just to give context, he's taken 4 3 point shots in his entire career and made only 1. He's basically a zero when it comes to that shot. And his only make was in the final game of this past season. LOL
Just add a three pointer and we have our own Ibaka! Easy.

:D

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In Diallo the Suns have a depth power forward that can play if the need arises in addition to being a development player.

Also the Suns added much needed athleticism at this position.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
In Diallo the Suns have a depth power forward that can play if the need arises in addition to being a development player.

Also the Suns added much needed athleticism at this position.
Both Kaminsky and Diallo can fill in at center as well.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Diallo's agent is Bill Duffy which might have made the signing easier. He represents Kelly Oubre and Deandre Ayton.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Both Kaminsky and Diallo can fill in at center as well.

I'm liking the versatility.

The Diallo signing and the addition of Jared Harper on a two way contract has pleased me almost as much as some of the other signings. It's a nice way to complete the roster.

I guess the Suns still have an opening for a two-way player. The Suns may not be in a hurry to fill it.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pretty sure we, and any other team, would have signed Clarke for the minimum.

Also, I suspect Clarke is going to be a lot better defensively than this kid. Not that I don't like this signing, good get for the minimum.

I agree on Clarke's potential but this kid will give us what we need this year as an athletic defender and not force all of that on Ayton.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm liking the versatility.

The Diallo signing and the addition of Jared Harper on a two way contract has pleased me almost as much as some of the other signings. It's a nice way to complete the roster.

I guess the Suns still have an opening for a two-way player. The Suns may not be in a hurry to fill it.
If I was them, I would wait on that second two-way deal for a player that you just cannot believe would become available. There are always a couple like that toward the end of training camp.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I was them, I would wait on that second two-way deal for a player that you just cannot believe would become available. There are always a couple like that toward the end of training camp.

I couldn't agree more. The Suns already have nice projects in Lecque, Diallo and Jared Harper.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I think diallo can be a 4 on defense and 5 on offense which would be a good match with Kaminsky

Why would you want Kaminsky playing the 5 defensively (or playing at all?). He can’t protect the rim or guard anyone (or rebound).

Oubre will be logging some time at the 4 and go small when Saric is not in.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was a little curious as to who would be the Suns whipping boy this year since we don't have Bender anymore and it looks like Kaminsky will fill that role nicely. I'm actually fine with that. At least it's not someone young with potential. Some may think Frank has some potential but I doubt he improves much from what he is.

iVAN

Reaction score
Diallo and Kami make good pairing of 3rd string bigs. They are both more like centers in today's game but their games complement each other to be on the floor together.

I'm thinking Oubre is going to get more backup PF minutes than those two. And Baynes is going to be the backup center obviously.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
signings for deep bench, 3rd string never really do.

I agree with that. I will say that I'm glad they added someone who offers a different style of play than what they have already. If they brought back Bender then he would have been sort of a mix of Kaminsky, Baynes, and Saric but not nearly as talented. Diallo is a long rim running big who may end up being a solid signing and provide some rim protection off the bench. I'm glad that they haven't added anyone whose skill set overlaps with someone who is already on the roster. Even though we have like 5-6 PG's right now, all of them offer something different.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose