Summer of 2020 Suns Cap Situation

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I'm not excited about Rubio...I'm excited about having a point guard who can take the ball out of Bookers hands and work to get Ayton the ball.

I think any of the "get a star" scenarios were pipe dreams.
It’s not just Rubio. Jerome and saric should be better passers too. The ball will likely move better overall.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't see a Joe Johnson parallel, the drama to that situation was built up over a full year of failed extension talks, he also wanted to be "the man" and clearly wasn't here.

With Oubre it hasn't been a year... it hasn't even been a week and he's said nothing but good things about the organization and he has no chance of being "the man" anywhere.

I absolutely think he has an offer on the table, there is no harm in him seeing if he can get a better offer and if he does I suspect the Suns will match it and he will be fine.

And honestly... the Suns should have just matched Joe Johnson's offer anyway.

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Who knows? After losing out on Kahwi anything (bad) can happen in Lakerland. Maybe AD will be on the market next year? Trading for potential free agents has not worked out well lately (Toronto has a championship of course). Wouldn’t it be funny if he returned to the Pels?

Happened to the Suns with McDyess.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Who knows? After losing out on Kahwi anything (bad) can happen in Lakerland. Maybe AD will be on the market next year? Trading for potential free agents has not worked out well lately (Toronto has a championship of course). Wouldn’t it be funny if he returned to the Pels?

Happened to the Suns with McDyess.

It would be funny but I don't see it happening. He's already sacrificed a bunch of money by leaving New Orleans, I don't see him giving up the guarantees of a 5 year deal.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I don't see a Joe Johnson parallel, the drama to that situation was built up over a full year of failed extension talks, he also wanted to be "the man" and clearly wasn't here.

With Oubre it hasn't been a year... it hasn't even been a week and he's said nothing but good things about the organization and he has no chance of being "the man" anywhere.

I absolutely think he has an offer on the table, there is no harm in him seeing if he can get a better offer and if he does I suspect the Suns will match it and he will be fine.

And honestly... the Suns should have just matched Joe Johnson's offer anyway.

They were also a year into big contracts to Nash/Marion and had just extended Amare. I think the dagger was more signing Q to the exact deal JJ was asking for and didn’t get that previous summer. That was a slap in the face.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
They were also a year into big contracts to Nash/Marion and had just extended Amare. I think the dagger was more signing Q to the exact deal JJ was asking for and didn’t get that previous summer. That was a slap in the face.

Yeah, the Q thing...

And instead of Q we could have just drafted Igoudala or Deng, something almost everyone thought we'd do, had a better player for 1/4th the price.

Christ... really maneuvered ourselves out of an absolutely insane roster.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Anthony Davis waived his trade kicker for nothing. They touched that on ESPN. He waived that as part of a way for the Lakers to have max cap space in order to sign Kawhi and now that's $4 million that Davis won't but was basically used to help overpay Danny Green.

A part of Davis has to be pissed at Rich Paul and Lebron, right? Yes, he's on the Lakers but where is the 3rd star? They didn't even have a shot at anyone else since they went all in on Kawhi. Now they're getting the scraps of free agency.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Anthony Davis waived his trade kicker for nothing. They touched that on ESPN. He waived that as part of a way for the Lakers to have max cap space in order to sign Kawhi and now that's $4 million that Davis won't but was basically used to help overpay Danny Green.

A part of Davis has to be pissed at Rich Paul and Lebron, right? Yes, he's on the Lakers but where is the 3rd star? They didn't even have a shot at anyone else since they went all in on Kawhi. Now they're getting the scraps of free agency.

Well, no trades are official yet, I suppose he can take that one back.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Well, no trades are official yet, I suppose he can take that one back.

No, he can't. I'm not sure why but they mentioned it's not something that can be undone. Once it's waived, it's waived. I know it's not official yet so I thought it might be able to be roll back but they never explained why it couldn't be undone, only specifically mentioned it couldn't be.

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So. Any predictions about what might happen by the trade deadline?

What players might be available for trade?

1. Players whose teams might be tanking and they want out. KAT, Aaron Gordon.
2. Players who will be free agents in the summer of 2020.
3. Players who will be free agents in the summer of 2021 and are telling their teams that they will hit the open market.

Raze

Suns fan since '89
Reaction score
So. Any predictions about what might happen by the trade deadline?

What players might be available for trade?

1. Players whose teams might be tanking and they want out. KAT, Aaron Gordon.
2. Players who will be free agents in the summer of 2020.
3. Players who will be free agents in the summer of 2021 and are telling their teams that they will hit the open market.
I know it's not sexy, but I'm thinking Derrick Favors would be nice.

We need someone to compliment Ayton. Someone who's a hard nose defender and can bruise people in the post. Someone who protects the rim and sends messages to guys who get in the lane. Someone who can do all the dirty work that no one else likes. Someone who cleans up the mess left under the basket. Favors isn't sexy, but he gets the job done.

I expect Ayton to slowly move toward the 3 point line with his deft touch. That would give a guy like Favors even more room to bang for boards in the post. He can sorta hit the three now, but I wouldn't expect his numbers to take a sharp turn. He's more dirty work 4 than stretch.

Plus, he might have a connection with Rubio that would draw him here. I'm not sure.

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Its time to watch the Lakers closely. If things turn sideways there, AD might be willing to leave next summer. He pretty much says so here.

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiret...-Not-Yet-Ready-To-Think-Long-Term-With-Lakers

The seeds of discontent might have already been sown.

He was convinced to give up his $4 million trade kicker to sign Kawhi. It was used for lesser players. Eventually Klutch clients are going to see that Rich Paul does what is best for LeBron and that is it. If the interests of LeBron and another client coincide, its great. If not, the placement of loyalty is certain.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Its time to watch the Lakers closely. If things turn sideways there, AD might be willing to leave next summer. He pretty much says so here.

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiret...-Not-Yet-Ready-To-Think-Long-Term-With-Lakers

The seeds of discontent might have already been sown.

He was convinced to give up his $4 million trade kicker to sign Kawhi. It was used for lesser players. Eventually Klutch clients are going to see that Rich Paul does what is best for LeBron and that is it. If the interests of LeBron and another client coincide, its great. If not, the placement of loyalty is certain.

It will be interesting but I've also heard that if it doesn't work out then he'll head to the Knicks, who should have the cap space to offer him the max. They struck out this summer but if they give him the max, he'd probably be enough to help them get back to the postseason in the East. Pairing him with a slightly older RJ Barrett would be good as well. They already have some pieces he'd be familiar with also. Elfrid Payton and Julius Randle are there already, both were on the Pelicans last season.

It was said that Rich Paul wanted to try to get Davis to New York also to have a star in each of the big markets. That was if the Laker deal couldn't happen though. If Davis ends up going to the Knicks because it doesn't work out in LA then I don't think that alone is enough to write Rich Paul off.

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It will be interesting but I've also heard that if it doesn't work out then he'll head to the Knicks, who should have the cap space to offer him the max. They struck out this summer but if they give him the max, he'd probably be enough to help them get back to the postseason in the East. Pairing him with a slightly older RJ Barrett would be good as well. They already have some pieces he'd be familiar with also. Elfrid Payton and Julius Randle are there already, both were on the Pelicans last season.

It was said that Rich Paul wanted to try to get Davis to New York also to have a star in each of the big markets. That was if the Laker deal couldn't happen though. If Davis ends up going to the Knicks because it doesn't work out in LA then I don't think that alone is enough to write Rich Paul off.
If he leaves LA for the Knicks, I would bet that Rich Paul won't be his agent anymore. The Knicks would be an interesting destination, I would guess he could engineer a situation where another star would join him.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson