Welcome Frank Kaminsky

leclerc

The smooth operator
Reaction score
Honest Big Frank has got to want it and just take the opportunity. Saric, Bender, maybe Oubre. Frank has this.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

This is interesting.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He's played a good bit of both. He is a 7 footer but with Baynes here I believe Frank will play PF more often.
He has been more effective as a 4. The new coach in Charlotte switches him to 5 almost exclusively and it did not work out very well.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He has been more effective as a 4. The new coach in Charlotte switches him to 5 almost exclusively and it did not work out very well.

I didn't see much of Charlotte this last year but I went by how Basketball Reference listed him.

Since you mentioned the coach in Charlotte, James Borrego, is a former assistant of Monty's. Just thought I'd make note of that while he's in the discussion.

BB-Ref shows he's played 74% of his career as a C but played heavily at PF in the 17-18 season.

You must be registered for see images attach

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/k/kaminfr01.html

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I didn't see much of Charlotte this last year but I went by how Basketball Reference listed him.

Since you mentioned the coach in Charlotte, James Borrego, is a former assistant of Monty's. Just thought I'd make note of that while he's in the discussion.

BB-Ref shows he's played 74% of his career as a C but played heavily at PF in the 17-18 season.

You must be registered for see images attach

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/k/kaminfr01.html
Your research might show something different. I am just repeating what I read in an article somewhere, but some of these articles are not well... always accurate.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Looks like Kaminsky is going to be fun to have around. He certainly has a sense of humor.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

SunnyBaller

All Star
Reaction score
Offensively Kaminsky has some of the same issues as Bender. When his 3 point shot is challenged he will need to drive it to the basket... except Bender had better speed. Also like Bender, I think he might be better playing center.
Bender might have been faster but he also couldn't dribble a basketball 3 ft if his life was on the line , the Tank can atleast do that adequately. Center is probably his more natural position but he should be fine at 4 here since he'll draw more attention on defensive then bender ever could

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bender might have been faster but he also couldn't dribble a basketball 3 ft if his life was on the line , the Tank can atleast do that adequately. Center is probably his more natural position but he should be fine at 4 here since he'll draw more attention on defensive then bender ever could

What was so frustrating about Bender is he had the ability to take the ball to the rim but it didn't come naturally. At least Kaminsky seems more willing if slower.

SunnyBaller

All Star
Reaction score
What was so frustrating about Bender is he had the ability to take the ball to the rim but it didn't come naturally. At least Kaminsky seems more willing if slower.
Ya watching bender drive the ball makes me think of the first time I gave my 6 year old nephew a basketball and told him to dribble to the basket. I don't know if bender was nervous or what but despite all his abilities he just looks so unnatural and awkward with the ball in his hand

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ya watching bender drive the ball makes me think of the first time I gave my 6 year old nephew a basketball and told him to dribble to the basket. I don't know if bender was nervous or what but despite all his abilities he just looks so unnatural and awkward with the ball in his hand

I'm thinking Bender playing point guard in his development did not help his development as a big man.

Still I would think it would because he should know how to handle the ball. Perhaps he advanced to the NBA too quickly and will learn in time.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm thinking Bender playing point guard in his development did not help his development as a big man.

Still I would think it would because he should know how to handle the ball. Perhaps he advanced to the NBA too quickly and will learn in time.

I think he panics when the ball gets in his hands and he just goes blank. It's the only explanation for why he can look so smooth sometimes but then do things like miss a four foot shot by 2 feet, dribble of his knees, throw the ball out of bounds... ect. If an act requires more than one move out of him in a given moment he was a mess. He could catch and shoot... but dribble then pass? It was likely to go into the crowd. Pull up jumpers? He shot 25% on those. You might be able to count the times he tried to back a guy down on one hand.

I don't think it's something you can fix.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think he panics when the ball gets in his hands and he just goes blank. It's the only explanation for why he can look so smooth sometimes but then do things like miss a four foot shot by 2 feet, dribble of his knees, throw the ball out of bounds... ect. If an act requires more than one move out of him in a given moment he was a mess. He could catch and shoot... but dribble then pass? It was likely to go into the crowd. Pull up jumpers? He shot 25% on those. You might be able to count the times he tried to back a guy down on one hand.

I think you are probably right it can't be fixed unless Bender was pushed to play too early and time and experience can fix it. He is not instinctual in his play.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Has Phoenix announced this move yet? I really want Jones to change his mind

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
I think you are probably right it can't be fixed unless Bender was pushed to play too early and time and experience can fix it. He is not instinctual in his play.
Bender is just not good enough.

As I said back then he should have been a 2nd round pick. He was never a better prospect than Zubac or Jokic.

There is a reason the father of Papagianis mocked his status.

Draftexpress, Givony and Bender's agent deserve an ESPY for how they tricked some US fans, media and NBA decision makers into buying the fake hype wave.

If there was a top 3 worthy draft pick playing basketball in Europe there would be hype in Europe for that kid. Bender was under the radar. The only noise he ever made was his performance in a couple of games at an under 15 or under 16 tournament a couple years prior to the draft, in between nothing.

Regardless of that he was drafted and got countless chances to show himself and improve as a player. The only problem is that the Suns wasted a #4 pick on him instead of a #40 pick where nobody would notice or care that the pick failed.

Johninromania

Veteran
Reaction score

I believe that is why the suns are letting him go, mental issues are harder to fix then technical aspects of the game.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bender is just not good enough.

As I said back then he should have been a 2nd round pick. He was never a better prospect than Zubac or Jokic.

There is a reason the father of Papagianis mocked his status.

Draftexpress, Givony and Bender's agent deserve an ESPY for how they tricked some US fans, media and NBA decision makers into buying the fake hype wave.

If there was a top 3 worthy draft pick playing basketball in Europe there would be hype in Europe for that kid. Bender was under the radar. The only noise he ever made was his performance in a couple of games at an under 15 or under 16 tournament a couple years prior to the draft, in between nothing.

Regardless of that he was drafted and got countless chances to show himself and improve as a player. The only problem is that the Suns wasted a #4 pick on him instead of a #40 pick where nobody would notice or care that the pick failed.

I do not disagree except if the Suns didn't draft Bender I'm sure some other team would have drafted him in the top 10-12 much like Chriss.