OT: Chris Paul trade thread

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
OKC should have waited for a better Westbrook trade to come along, they got absolutely hosed in that deal.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
OKC should have waited for a better Westbrook trade to come along, they got absolutely hosed in that deal.

The OKC roster is going to be made up mainly of all of the extra draft picks they've amassed. None of those players will be due big money until after Paul is gone. So it's not the end of the world if they're stuck with him. It will probably bother Paul more than it will the Thunder.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Toronto rolled the dice and won a title.
I hope their fans enjoy that.
Now they are stuck in the dreaded in between place where you can’t get better until you get worse.
The Suns have been stuck in that place and they didn't even win a title. Or get better.
Hopefully, until now, a decade later.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

They traded him to Houston because that’s where Westbrook wanted to go. They took care of him as they should have.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The OKC roster is going to be made up mainly of all of the extra draft picks they've amassed. None of those players will be due big money until after Paul is gone. So it's not the end of the world if they're stuck with him. It will probably bother Paul more than it will the Thunder.

I get that, but I still think losing Westbrook in exchange for Paul on that absurd contract isn't worth some protected picks they won't see for 5 years. That Paul offer wasn't going anywhere, IMO they should have waited until December to see if the market changed once guys on new contracts were moveable. Even moving him for just some expiring deals and a pick would have been better.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What about Paul for Andrew Wiggins for the base of a deal?

I know Minnesota really wants to move Wiggins but they can't want it that bad, can they? Chris Paul is owed roughly 40M per for 3 years and Wiggins is owed 30M per for 4 years. Paul is still functional but clearly aging before our eyes whereas Wiggins is still playing like he's new to the game. It's a tough call.

I think a nearly even swap of the two players would make the Wolves very happy in the short run (this season until Paul's inevitable injury) but screw them over financially in the long run. Wiggins, if he's not moved now, probably retains or increases his trade value whereas Chris is going to get harder to trade every day until he approaches expiring contract territory.

IMO it would be a clear win for OKC though as they should be able to either get him back on track or run enough of the offense through him so as to make it look like he's back on the path for superstardom.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't be surprised if either the Wolves or Bucks eventually make a move for CP3. Assuming health, he might be able to have a little bit of Nash-like impact on a very talented Wolves team that just seems like it has no captain steering the boat. And I also think he could be the missing piece to that Bucks team.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I know Minnesota really wants to move Wiggins but they can't want it that bad, can they? Chris Paul is owed roughly 40M per for 3 years and Wiggins is owed 30M per for 4 years. Paul is still functional but clearly aging before our eyes whereas Wiggins is still playing like he's new to the game. It's a tough call.

I think a nearly even swap of the two players would make the Wolves very happy in the short run (this season until Paul's inevitable injury) but screw them over financially in the long run. Wiggins, if he's not moved now, probably retains or increases his trade value whereas Chris is going to get harder to trade every day until he approaches expiring contract territory.

IMO it would be a clear win for OKC though as they should be able to either get him back on track or run enough of the offense through him so as to make it look like he's back on the path for superstardom.

But 3 vs 4. Wiggins MIGHT become a positive at some point, but right now a diminished Paul is still better than Wiggins.

Two years of Paul then trade him.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
But 3 vs 4. Wiggins MIGHT become a positive at some point, but right now a diminished Paul is still better than Wiggins.

Two years of Paul then trade him.

That's pretty much what I said except moving him in 2 years might be very costly.