Gambo says PF coming....

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Honestly, I do not think Bender is borderline useless. He moves well, defends all the way out to the three-point line, and he actually shot in the mid 30's from the three for an entire season. We all have seen these things in glimpses, and then he would pull his head back into his shell like a turtle. This leads me to believe that his issues are more about maturity and confidence. He is still only 21 years old. He still has a teenagers body. Men's bodies do not usually fill out muscle wise until near 25. There is a chance the light could go on for him. He was a well-liked kid in the locker room. He was not a knucklehead like Chriss.

I think he might catch on somewhere. Anyway. It is of little consequence to us now.

He was an above average defender last year. Worse things than your 12 man being able to guard 3-5

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I am in favor of signing Bender. He is a good defender and his offense was looking better at the end of the season.

I really do think he can be turned around with good coaching.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd be okay with re-signing Bender although I think I'd prefer Diallo or Christian Wood. I liked Wood a lot at UNLV and wanted us to sign him when we had him on our Summer League team a season or two ago.

AZCrazy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Bender is only now reaching the age at which he should have been drafted in the first place. If that guy was coming out of college now, he'd be a top 3 pick again, and only that low because of the freakshow that is Zion.
Skinny young bigs don't dominate in their first couple of years. I think we should resign Bender, as he's only now getting to the point of being able to contribute anyway. Of course he was 'disappointing' the first couple of years. What else could he have done, dominated?

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Bender is only now reaching the age at which he should have been drafted in the first place. If that guy was coming out of college now, he'd be a top 3 pick again, and only that low because of the freakshow that is Zion.
Skinny young bigs don't dominate in their first couple of years. I think we should resign Bender, as he's only now getting to the point of being able to contribute anyway. Of course he was 'disappointing' the first couple of years. What else could he have done, dominated?

I don't think anyone expected Bender to dominate. We expected him to have some balls and not be terrified every time he gets the basketball. He has the skills necessary to be an NBA player, but he doesn't have the mental part of the game. He looks terrified. He showed us that he is smart, that he can defend very well, and that he can pass the ball. Two seasons ago, he showed us he can shoot the three. Every few games, he'd show us he can drive to the hoop. He can play, but his mental makeup is just not there. All that said, I wouldn't be upset if the Suns brought him back on a minimum contract.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I don't think anyone expected Bender to dominate. We expected him to have some balls and not be terrified every time he gets the basketball. He has the skills necessary to be an NBA player, but he doesn't have the mental part of the game. He looks terrified. He showed us that he is smart, that he can defend very well, and that he can pass the ball. Two seasons ago, he showed us he can shoot the three. Every few games, he'd show us he can drive to the hoop. He can play, but his mental makeup is just not there. All that said, I wouldn't be upset if the Suns brought him back on a minimum contract.
A teenager coming over from a foreign country plunked into the nba had confidence issues? Shocking. My point being, we’ve seen in the past bigs take time to develop. We’ve seen flashes of benders ability. We’ve already invested a lot in him. Now a small continued investment (deep bench role and minimal $$$) is going to keep us from maybe seeing his maturation to fruition? Seems silly to me.

Can a player become more aggressive? Man, we are all betting our suns happiness in Ayton doing so, right? Take a cheap flyer in bender doing so as well.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Does he really though? is he smart? I can't tell you how many times we've seen some bad plays out of him, it was really frustrating.

I do think he has NBA height, that's a given. Good mobility for a guy that size, maybe he's still growing. Solid footwork. Other than that he still has a lot of work to do in every other aspect of the game.

This is one where we're overvaluing our player again. I feel bad for him, i would love it to work out for him and the suns.

leclerc

The smooth operator
Reaction score
I am in favor of signing Bender. He is a good defender and his offense was looking better at the end of the season.

I really do think he can be turned around with good coaching.
I agree. If not a measurably better player is available I say re-sign Bender if he wants and keep developing his basics. Defense, rebounding, corner three.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
A teenager coming over from a foreign country plunked into the nba had confidence issues? Shocking. My point being, we’ve seen in the past bigs take time to develop. We’ve seen flashes of benders ability. We’ve already invested a lot in him. Now a small continued investment (deep bench role and minimal $$$) is going to keep us from maybe seeing his maturation to fruition? Seems silly to me.

Can a player become more aggressive? Man, we are all betting our suns happiness in Ayton doing so, right? Take a cheap flyer in bender doing so as well.

I don't think you'll find a bigger Bander fan on this board than me. I don't disagree with anything you are saying. I am just pointing out that either his head is not in the right place (appears to be firmly planted in his behind), or he has no heart/ balls. Much like Chriss has no brains, I don't think Bender has the heart and/or balls to be an NBA player. I hope I am wrong because I really like the kid, and I absolutely love his game when he decides to play, but I am just not very optimistic that he'll find a heart/ balls.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't think you'll find a bigger Bander fan on this board than me. I don't disagree with anything you are saying. I am just pointing out that either his head is not in the right place (appears to be firmly planted in his behind), or he has no heart/ balls. Much like Chriss has no brains, I don't think Bender has the heart and/or balls to be an NBA player. I hope I am wrong because I really like the kid, and I absolutely love his game when he decides to play, but I am just not very optimistic that he'll find a heart/ balls.
So, we have established Chriss as the Scarecrow. We just have to decide between the Cowardly Lion and the Tin Man for Bender.

itlnsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

Oh ya. Huge fan lol.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
I think Bender has a better opportunity to develop now then previously. He does need to continue to develop defensively more to be able to stick and add minutes. His offense won't do it. We saw some baby steps. Time to take strides.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I hope the Suns don't tie up a spot with him. Even at the end of the bench.

And to the point that someone posted about Bender just now being college
graduation age, that is irrelevant. How many college players stay for four
years in these times?

A lot of Bender's competition for playing time are one-and-done's. Bender
failed against similar competition. A fresh start elsewhere would be in
everyone's best interests.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yes, Bender is still young but I cannot think of a single player who has played as many minutes as he has and looked as terrible and unproductive as he has and eventually evolved into a useful player.

I can think of some late bloomers but they're guys that were either hardly seeing the court or, despite struggling, still showed meaningful improvement year to year. Bender has received a lot of playing time and still often looks like he's never played basketball before.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
If we were expecting still another season of mediocrity,
Bender would fit right in.

But, for the first time in a long time, we are expecting better.

That makes the idea of Bender a negative consideration.

The hope of somewhat-better-than-disappointing does not
fit the Suns plan. If I were the new Head Coach, I would make
that clear to the new GM, if that were even necessary

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not down on Bender as some. It's more like, I like other free agents better.

The Suns have gone down that path before. It's time to move on.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If we were expecting still another season of mediocrity,
Bender would fit right in.

But, for the first time in a long time, we are expecting better.

That makes the idea of Bender a negative consideration.

The hope of somewhat-better-than-disappointing does not
fit the Suns plan. If I were the new Head Coach, I would make
that clear to the new GM, if that were even necessary

I think a lot of us are expecting a season of mediocrity, I know I am. Of course, after a few seasons of pure horror, mediocrity sounds pretty damned good.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I think a lot of us are expecting a season of mediocrity, I know I am. Of course, after a few seasons of pure horror, mediocrity sounds pretty damned good.
My response is . . . expecting a season of mediocrity is one thing. Planning on it is another.

Signing Bender is planning on it. :)

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My response is . . . expecting a season of mediocrity is one thing. Planning on it is another.

Yeah, with our roster, I don't see how you can "plan" on anything better than mediocre? Hope yes, plan no IMO. And signing anyone, Bender, his kid sister, the guy that works on your car, anyone, to that last roster spot should have no bearing on our season.

Bender won't turn 22 until after the season starts and big men typically come into their own later than the rest do so I have no problem if the front office decides it's the move with the best value. I'd prefer someone like Wood but we can only hope they know better than some of us.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Signing Bender for a 12th man role would have very little impact on whether this team is mediocre or not. In fact, unless you sign a guy who is going to bust his way into top six on the team type minutes, I doubt there will be any real impact from any player who signs right now.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose