Suns Press conference today. 07/16/19

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Maybe there isn't a press conference. Anybody else still sitting on the video playing the same song over and over?

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Someone asked about his contract: amount?, teams interested, offers, etc. Basically said he can't talk about that.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Someone asked about his contract: amount?, teams interested, offers, etc. Basically said he can't talk about that.
Never understand the point of asking questions like that. They should know by now that it's just going to be sidestepped. I suppose they feel they need to try, but it just seems like a waste of time to me.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
From a Kevin Zimmern article at Arizona Sports 98.7 FM:

“I understand everyone has an opinion or idea of what they think we should do, of what value for a player or a position is, or picks,” Jones told Bickley & Marotta on 98.7 FM Arizona’s Sports Station. “That’s rightful criticism. But ultimately I think if they understand what we’re trying to do is build a team — and not collect or horde assets or maximize individual transactions — and think about a collective return, I think they’d understand the deals that we’ve made were great deals for a team and helped us improve.”

https://arizonasports.com/story/2013598/james-jones-suns-offseason-trades-fit-not-talent-retainment/

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
From a Kevin Zimmern articleat Arizona Sports 98.7 FM:

“I understand everyone has an opinion or idea of what they think we should do, of what value for a player or a position is, or picks,” Jones told Bickley & Marotta on 98.7 FM Arizona’s Sports Station. “That’s rightful criticism. But ultimately I think if they understand what we’re trying to do is build a team — and not collect or horde assets or maximize individual transactions — and think about a collective return, I think they’d understand the deals that we’ve made were great deals for a team and helped us improve.”

https://arizonasports.com/story/2013598/james-jones-suns-offseason-trades-fit-not-talent-retainment/
Yep. Picture-perfect team building IMO. Hopefully it all works.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I couldn't help but think if there had been more players at the press conference it would have flowed better and limited the amount of obvious questions.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
From a Kevin Zimmern article at Arizona Sports 98.7 FM:

At least James Jones is clear on what he wants to accomplish. If he gives up a bit more in a trade than he should, or drafts a guy a few slots ahead of where the pundits said is not of great consequence in the long run. The bigger question is whether the players he is building around are worthy of it.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Yep. Picture-perfect team building IMO. Hopefully it all works.
Well, except on the defensive side of the equation. We have no real rim protection from anyone. That’s a gaping hole in the “seamless” team building.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Well, except on the defensive side of the equation. We have no real rim protection from anyone. That’s a gaping hole in the “seamless” team building.
Ayton should be able to do that. He has the size and athletic ability. I wonder if he can be coached in that direction.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Should but hasn’t yet.

Yes. I know. But is he young enough to develop that part of his game, or is this just who he is? I know you can't really answer that right now, neither can I. He is probably our best hope for that right now though, barring a personnel change. No 12th man pf is going to impact team defense much. If this team is going to have rim protector, it is going to have to be Ayton or they are going to have to move one of their newly acquired pf's to get someone.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
At least James Jones is clear on what he wants to accomplish. If he gives up a bit more in a trade than he should, or drafts a guy a few slots ahead of where the pundits said is not of great consequence in the long run. The bigger question is whether the players he is building around are worthy of it.

I think the Suns are invested in Booker and Ayton as their building blocks so I hope they are correct.

I'm comfortable with these two pieces as well but I'm counting on Oubre, Bridges and Rubio as a strong supporting cast.

Also I'm counting on Oubre or Bridges to take a big leap forward this season.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Hmm. I haven't watched this in a while. Ayton as a perimeter defender.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
G-PA