Welcome Jalen Lecque?

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Had he gone to NC State next year, he would have easily been a lotto pick barring injury. PHX got a 2020 lotto pick a year early (and potential PGOTF) is how I look at it. Now maybe next year they can focus on a PFOTF if they don't deal for one during the season (Aaron Gordon or Larry Nance Jr.).

Yep, we blast the front office constantly but this kid was a steal. Even if he never amounts to much I bet there are a lot of GMs kicking themselves for passing on him in the second round.

He is EXPLOSIVE!

NashDishesDimes

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
How do these two way contracts work? He wouldnt count toward the 12 man roster? Can he be signed away? Whats the duration of those contracts?

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
How do these two way contracts work? He wouldnt count toward the 12 man roster? Can he be signed away? Whats the duration of those contracts?
I don't think Jalen has been signed to a two-way contract. He has been signed to a regular contract. The roster rules changed a while back. It is now a 15 man roster, but only 13 can suit up for a game. Plus each team gets 2 two-way contracts, so they can carry a total of 17 players.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
He comps out to Westbrook. If he can become Westbrook with a jumper then I don't care what you label him.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know if he'll amount to anything in the league but I think he's as good of a prospect as anyone we could have selected at #32. Being able to sign someone young like Lecque makes up for dumping our 2nd round pick this year. I know we can debate whether we had to give up our 2nd round pick to move TJ but the deal's done regardless.

I do question how he'll fit this season since we've got plenty of backup PG's now but I imagine we'll keep at least 1 down in the G-League at almost all times. I did like that about Jones running the team last season. He didn't keep Okobo or Melton wasting away on our bench much at all. He made sure that if they weren't going to play on the main roster that they were assigned to the G-League team, which is how it should be with our youngsters.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
His springy athletic ability is really impressive, even in the NBA very few guys have that bouncing up and down ability. But, that alone isn't enough to get by I am not going to put any expectations on him. Hopefully he works his butt off in the Gleague this year.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
His springy athletic ability is really impressive, even in the NBA very few guys have that bouncing up and down ability. But, that alone isn't enough to get by I am not going to put any expectations on him. Hopefully he works his butt off in the Gleague this year.
It’s about his shooting. We have heard that before. He must improve that. Otherwise he is going to “comp out” to Archie.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Signing Jalen Lecque was well worth the gamble based on his raw potential being off the charts. He looks like he belongs on an NBA court.

We really do not know how good he can become having never played college and only being 19 years old.

I do not understand how he went undrafted in the second round.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
It’s about his shooting. We have heard that before. He must improve that. Otherwise he is going to “comp out” to Archie.

Archie was athletic but this kid is explosive, much quicker. And yeah, guards that can't shoot are no bueno.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The thing about Lecque, he is a point guard unlike Archie. Unfortunately Archie couldn't shoot the ball and wasn't a passer either.

If Lecque can shoot the ball for a decent average he reminds be somewhat of De'Aaron Fox.

In college Fox could always get to the rim which is initially what caught my eye. Lecque should always be able to get to the rim with his speed and athleticism so hopefully the other parts of his game com together. Also Lecque seems to be a solid free throw shooter so this may say something about his ability to shoot the ball.

leclerc

The smooth operator
Reaction score
Lecque had some nice PG moves in summer league, drive and dish, pass off on fast breaks, etc. I'm in no rush to label him SG/combo/PG before the season even starts. It would be cool if he earns playing time. For once there is competition to beat out, in Tyler Johnson, Ty Jerome, Jevon Carter, maybe Okobo.

I pray for all of us that the player development group has been replaced.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Archie could jump way up there but he didn't have the twitchy jumping ability that Lecque has, that rare ability to get way up without loading up first. Gerald Green, Derrick Jones Jr and Marion are other Suns I can recall having it.

I think he's already ahead of Archie in passing ability, or at least, passing willingness, same on defense. Only thing I know Archie could do well was penetrate into the lane, he was amazing at it, but, sadly for him, it was only the penetration part he was good at, once he got in the paint he was a disaster unless a ref gave him a call.

Last edited:

Raze

Suns fan since '89
Reaction score
The thing about Lecque, he is a point guard unlike Archie. Unfortunately Archie couldn't shoot the ball and wasn't a passer either.

If Lecque can shoot the ball for a decent average he reminds be somewhat of De'Aaron Fox.

In college Fox could always get to the rim which is initially what caught my eye. Lecque should always be able to get to the rim with his speed and athleticism so hopefully the other parts of his game com together. Also Lecque seems to be a solid free throw shooter so this may say something about his ability to shoot the ball.
I really like that comp after watching him play in the SL. The limited film we had on the kid never showed the defensive part. He's far more tenacious on D then I would have imagined. Hopefully, like Fox, he works on his shot enough to not be an issue.

Do you think if there was a redraft today any other teams would change their mind?

(BTW, I call no fair on Luka Samanic. We briefly talked about him pre-draft. Dude looks WAAAAY more filled out in SL than on his prior film. That was my hugest concern and he already looks to have overcome it.)

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I really like that comp after watching him play in the SL. The limited film we had on the kid never showed the defensive part. He's far more tenacious on D then I would have imagined. Hopefully, like Fox, he works on his shot enough to not be an issue.

Do you think if there was a redraft today any other teams would change their mind?

(BTW, I call no fair on Luka Samanic. We briefly talked about him pre-draft. Dude looks WAAAAY more filled out in SL than on his prior film. That was my hugest concern and he already looks to have overcome it.)

I think Lecque would be drafted if there was a do over at least in the second round. The more I think about it I like the Fox comparison even more.

Samanic was a heck of a draft pick. I'm not sure why he fell so far.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I don’t about potential output but physically he comparable.
Of course he could wind up not having a Westbrook type career but potentially he could. Like Westbrook he can get to the rim and finish at will. His leaping ability makes him fearless in the paint. Remember, Westbrook didn’t look like an MVP caliber player at UCLA. The only reason he went so high in the draft is because he tested well and impressed during private workouts. No one knows how good any of these players will be, even Zion but we bank on their potential.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Of course he could wind up not having a Westbrook type career but potentially he could. Like Westbrook he can get to the rim and finish at will. His leaping ability makes him fearless in the paint. Remember, Westbrook didn’t look like an MVP caliber player at UCLA. The only reason he went so high in the draft is because he tested well and impressed during private workouts. No one knows how good any of these players will be, even Zion but we bank on their potential.
I think that’s a bit disingenuous in regards to why Westbrook was drafted where he was selected. If it was only about his measurables why did he get drafted high lottery and similar measurables had lecque going undrafted in a poor draft?

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think that’s a bit disingenuous in regards to why Westbrook was drafted where he was selected. If it was only about his measurables why did he get drafted high lottery and similar measurables had lecque going undrafted in a poor draft?
I would think it has something to do with the fact that Lecque played against high schoolers last year while Westbrook spent two years at UCLA and won the PAC-DPOY as a sophomore. So yes, it was more than measurables, although the measurables plus the resume were an influential combo.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose