Grade the Suns off season roster moves for 2019-20

How would you grade the Suns off season moves?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Crud. I completely forgot to factor in the Monty hire. Gotta give them a full letter increase for that one considering he was such a hot commodity and we actually got him.

Mods. Is there a way to fix my vote on the poll from a D to a C?

I'm not sure if the mods can change that but I believe @Mainstreet can since he created the poll. Mainstreet, edit your initial post and select the option to allow people to change their vote. That should allow Raze to change his, as well as anyone else.

If you can't figure it out then maybe a mod can fix it. I know that I've changed that option on polls after they've been up though so it should be possible for you.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure if the mods can change that but I believe @Mainstreet can since he created the poll. Mainstreet, edit your initial post and select the option to allow people to change their vote. That should allow Raze to change his, as well as anyone else.

If you can't figure it out then maybe a mod can fix it. I know that I've changed that option on polls after they've been up though so it should be possible for you.

I've changed it where it should allow posters to change their vote.

I'm not sure it took though.

Last edited:

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So now. Looking at the depth chart, anyone have any opinion about which position needs improvement? Looks to me like we are much better at pg and pf, but if we have a chance to upgrade, those are still the two priorities. SG, SF and C look ok to me.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Suns are still getting slammed for drafting Cam Johnson at #11 per The Athletic.

Here is a snippet from the article:

Worst move of the summer?

In Vegas, the Phoenix Suns were widely panned for their 2019 draft day. North Carolina shooter Cameron Johnson is just not viewed by scouts as the level of player worthy of the machinations that secured his talents.

“I think the worst move was Phoenix dumping out of (the sixth pick) to 11 to get a guy they could have easily gotten at 18,” said one GM. “If that’s the guy you want that’s fine, but you have to maximize what you’re getting.”

https://theathletic.com/1075898/201...s-paul-and-all-those-huge-moves/?redirected=1

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So now. Looking at the depth chart, anyone have any opinion about which position needs improvement? Looks to me like we are much better at pg and pf, but if we have a chance to upgrade, those are still the two priorities. SG, SF and C look ok to me.

I think we need some depth at SG. If Booker goes down, we'll need a guard and scoring...

Rubio, Jerome, Carter
Bridges, T. Johnson,
Oubre, Cam Johnson
Saric, Kaminsky
Ayton, Baynes

Lecque will probably be in the G-League most of the year.

Without Booker, we're thin on the wing. I know similar might be said if Ayton goes down but then Cam slides to backup PF, Kaminsky to backup C, and Bridges would be backing up Oubre. So we'd be better equipped to handle Ayton missing a dozen games than Booker.

I'd like to see Crawford brought back as a SG. He doesn't need to play PG like last year, he can fill in as instant offense and if we don't need him or his shot isn't falling, fine. He can light up the scoreboard when called on though and having someone like him to step in for Booker could help, a lot.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
The Suns are still getting slammed for drafting Cam Johnson at #11 per The Athletic.

Here is a snippet from the article:

Worst move of the summer?

In Vegas, the Phoenix Suns were widely panned for their 2019 draft day. North Carolina shooter Cameron Johnson is just not viewed by scouts as the level of player worthy of the machinations that secured his talents.

“I think the worst move was Phoenix dumping out of (the sixth pick) to 11 to get a guy they could have easily gotten at 18,” said one GM. “If that’s the guy you want that’s fine, but you have to maximize what you’re getting.”

https://theathletic.com/1075898/201...s-paul-and-all-those-huge-moves/?redirected=1
18? Where does that come from? We didn’t have the 18.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
18? Where does that come from? We didn’t have the 18.

My guess is the anonymous GM thought the Suns should have traded down again to #18. Goga Bitadze was drafted at that spot.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
A real house cleaning and got better more solid players. Signing Oubre was big. Also didn't go for young potential players in the draft but mature experienced ones. No real showy players name wise but IMO Suns will put a better team on the floor this season. I would give it a B-.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
A:

turning over the junk we had into some real nba players throughout the roster. I mean c'mon we ran with no point guard, to Tyler starting for us, and now we have a legit passer in Rubio? Who cares about "overpaying" him, it's not my money, as long as it shows they spent trying to improve/upgrade i'm all for it.

Booker and Ayton are our main pieces, and our FO did the right thing by having a plan to build around them, and now they executed it. I can't see why all the bashing has come forth when we had a bad mix of players who weren't really compatible.

Getting a new coaching staff with several having legit experience and nba ties already.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That’s pretty random. We should have traded up to #1 too. ;)

Thinking about it, it doesn't make much sense unless the Suns were to have traded #11 to Indiana for #18 and included Warren in the deal instead of #32.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I haven't heard anything more about the Suns buying out Kyle Korver.

Maybe the Suns are still trying to trade him?

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought we did it the day we signed Rubio.

I'm not sure, that's why I used a question mark. I tried to briefly research it but I couldn't find the amount of the buyout.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I voted B.

Game after game last year, the Suns consistently lost the depth battle against most NBA teams.

The glaring holes in the starting unit was PG and PF.

With Booker, Ayton, and Oubre looking to be the top three players, the Suns needed a true floor general and good defensive player at PG. I think Rubio fits this role to a tee.

Saric is the best PF this team has had for a while, and while he isnt a good defender, his ability to pass and hit open jump shots will compliment Ayton well. I like the trade down from 6 to 11 because the team added a legitimate starter.

Cam Johnson, Jerome, Baynes, Carter, and Kaminsky are all players that should add to the depth of this team.

Getting rid of Jackson was a huge plus; he was literally a bottom 5 player in the entire NBA!!! He is literally one of those players that ensures defeat.

Getting rid of Warren sucks, but it had to be done to fit the other moves. The Suns should have moved him last year, I dont know why they didnt. He is one of those players who doesnt help wins and losses much.

My point if contention with those saying the Suns should have made splashier moves is that both star was coming right now.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I gave it a C. He balanced the roster but failed to secure any impact players.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hmm...it's a good question.

I would say any of the following:

Top 50 in PER
Played in at least 1 all star game
Top 15 in either scoring, rebounding, or assists

So good news here. I picked these without looking and both Ayton and Booker are in two of these.

Rubio just missed out on assists so I would call him borderline impact