Way too early roster needs

Kai

Veteran
Reaction score
I put this into two categories: For sure needs and “maybe”
Offense, for sure:
OG:we can do better than Sweezy, I think Pugh will be better
OT: Humphries is too injury-prone, Gibert is aging
Maybe: Wide Receiver: we need probably 1 or 2 more wide receivers because Fitzgerald is going to retire and Butler and Johnson and busts
Defense, for sure:
NT: Corey Peters is aging and Nkemdiche is going to leave
Maybe: 3-4 DE: Gunter is mediocre, Allen will be good and Dogbe is a bust
ILB: Haason Reddick has disappointed thus far
CB: Alford isn’t a long term solution and Peterson could possibly leave, Byron is just a slot corner

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I put this into two categories: For sure needs and “maybe”
Offense, for sure:
OG:we can do better than Sweezy, I think Pugh will be better
OT: Humphries is too injury-prone, Gibert is aging
Maybe: Wide Receiver: we need probably 1 or 2 more wide receivers because Fitzgerald is going to retire and Butler and Johnson and busts
Defense, for sure:
NT: Corey Peters is aging and Nkemdiche is going to leave
Maybe: 3-4 DE: Gunter is mediocre, Allen will be good and Dogbe is a bust
ILB: Haason Reddick has disappointed thus far
CB: Alford isn’t a long term solution and Peterson could possibly leave, Byron is just a slot corner

isnt too early to say this?

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
OL: Frankly, everyone is replaceable.

OLB & ILB: I hope Hicks is the real deal, and stays healthy. Chandler Jones is possibly the best player on this roster. But Suggs is a one year rental that probably won't even play most of the season, and our depth at OLB is nothing. Reddick is in the argument for worst starting ILB in the league, although I hold nothing against the guy, and think this team woefully mishandled him.

NT/DT/DE: I like Corey Peters, but age is going to catch up soon. I'd list the whole DL here, but Philon was a savvy signing, and Gunter is serviceable. But man, I can't tell you how much I wish we were talking about Quinnen Williams in this rotation.

WR: We are what we are, and are going to be for a while. I couldn't tell you who I'd replace here, or how I'd replace them. I'm certainly not anticipating any moves. Is Larry infinitely successful in a completely new offense like this? Does Kirk take the leap? Is Isabella everything K2 hopes? Is Butler truly overlooked? All I know is that I wish we had one guy who resembled a modern #1.

QB: C'mon, you knew I was going here. :deadhorse2:

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
There's a reason Butler fell to the fourth round, he's not that good. I could see him going the way of old skillet hands Bryant Johnson. When you look at the DLine and ILB positions outside of Peters and Hicks there is really nothing there at all. In fact it's rather sad. Everyone keeps talking about this defense stepping up however when you see what the team has up the middle it's pretty scary.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
6’1’’ 4.6 40, 7.28 3 cone, I’m not liking it already

Boldin did not ace the combine drills either, and Jerry Rice was no physical specimen when it came to combine Olympics. Not saying Johnson is a future all pro but I am saying he has what it takes to get a roster spot and be productive... I could care less about the Al Davis measuring stick

OP
OP
Kai

Kai

Veteran
Reaction score
Boldin did not ace the combine drills either, and Jerry Rice was no physical specimen when it came to combine Olympics. Not saying Johnson is a future all pro but I am saying he has what it takes to get a roster spot and be productive... I could care less about the Al Davis measuring stick
How many times has that ever happened? Plus, DB’s are only going to get more athletic and fast and bigger and stronger. Besides, both were drafted at least 15 years ago

Minski

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
There's a reason Butler fell to the fourth round, he's not that good. I could see him going the way of old skillet hands Bryant Johnson. When you look at the DLine and ILB positions outside of Peters and Hicks there is really nothing there at all. In fact it's rather sad. Everyone keeps talking about this defense stepping up however when you see what the team has up the middle it's pretty scary.

Loads of great players fall to other rounds for all sorts of reasons. Keenan Allen fell to the 3rd etc etc. Don’t think that is something to project forward on.

Reactions: Kai

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Kai, you have Nkemdiche listed as a NT. I'm pretty sure he'll be gone, but missed his move to NT. When was that announced?

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
A healthy OL is the main need with back up ILB being next in case the Reddick experiment doesn't pan out. Hopefully, Alford and Murphy can man the CB fort and get us to Week 6.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
A healthy OL is the main need with back up ILB being next in case the Reddick experiment doesn't pan out. Hopefully, Alford and Murphy can man the CB fort and get us to Week 6.
OLB >>>>> ILB for next year.

OP
OP
Kai

Kai

Veteran
Reaction score
Kai, you have Nkemdiche listed as a NT. I'm pretty sure he'll be gone, but missed his move to NT. When was that announced?
Yes, so I believe from I remember, I saw on the ESPN depth chart for this team that Nkemdiche was slotted there. I agree with you that he’ll likely leave soon

Jetstream Green

Reaction score
How many times has that ever happened? Plus, DB’s are only going to get more athletic and fast and bigger and stronger. Besides, both were drafted at least 15 years ago

Fitzgerald and Chris Carter also ran in the 4.6 range forty. Sorry, no the players are not going to get bigger and faster because there is something called the limitations of the human body, particularly the ligaments which do not get bigger and stronger and why all these ACL/MCL tears are happening, plus the taller a DB gets the less he can swing his hips and react which only a few tall DBs like Peterson are able. I doubt the NFL is going to see a guy come along who is going to make Darrell Green or Deon Sanders look like an afterthought. If Lawrence Taylor played today or Reggie White, they would still be dominant because this idea of players being so much physically advanced now in relation to their sport only applies to the gap of the early players in relation to the onset modern age of the early eighties. I also sincerely doubt that a guy like Rice or Carter would not be a Hall of Famer if they played currently and if anything they would put up even bigger gaudy stats because back when they played a DB was allowed a lot more physical contact. You draft football players who can play their position and technique and instincts usually decide a long career and not off the charts physical attributes

OP
OP
Kai

Kai

Veteran
Reaction score
@Jetstream Green I'm not a doctor, so I can’t argue what you are saying about ligaments etc. Fitzgerald and Carter successes because they have good hands and they both ran good 3 cone time. (At least I think Carter did) And I also believe it is the thinking of scouts, coaches and the front office that technique and “instincts” can b coaches up, but athleticism cannot be taught

Jetstream Green

Reaction score
@Jetstream Green I'm not a doctor, so I can’t argue what you are saying about ligaments etc. Fitzgerald and Carter successes because they have good hands and they both ran good 3 cone time. (At least I think Carter did) And I also believe it is the thinking of scouts, coaches and the front office that technique and “instincts” can b coaches up, but athleticism cannot be taught

You cannot teach instincts, that is an innate ability to feel your way to where you are suppose to be. Now you can teach familiarity with a system which can help put a guy in position if he does it long enough but that is not being instinctive. Instincts is what makes a CB know when it's time to turn and look for the ball, a WR feeling where the soft pockets are in a zone, that special ability of a QB knowing when he needs to move in the pocket, that innate ability of a great punt returner to feel his way through the trash much like a LB feeling where the ball is going. I will be generous and say the jury is still out on Reddick but Brandon Williams lacks natural instincts. The guy is athletically gifted and in position more often than not but still has no clue where the ball is and when to turn when the ball is right there. Aeneas Williams had great instincts and Richard Sherman has a similar modern game to Williams and what he lacks in speed or quickness he makes up for with great instincts

OP
OP
Kai

Kai

Veteran
Reaction score
Calling a 6th or 7th round pick a "bust" is pretty silly in and of itself. Before the player even takes a snap in the NFL is downright ridiculous.
It’s just a prediction

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose